**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
It wouldn’t be so bad if they supported their devices as long as Apple do. If you get a pixel, a year later, like many buy the iPhone from the previous year when a new one launches, you only get one more major software update! That’s not good enough when you’re spending that sort of money!

Sure, the one plus 5 is pricey, but it’s only increased in price as much as everything else has.

Soldato
It wouldn’t be so bad if they supported their devices as long as Apple do. If you get a pixel, a year later, like many buy the iPhone from the previous year when a new one launches, you only get one more major software update! That’s not good enough when you’re spending that sort of money!

Sure, the one plus 5 is pricey, but it’s only increased in price as much as everything else has.
Yeah I agree totally... Google should provide 2 years sw updates from date it's purchased (assuming from Google themselves)

Soldato

The one plus 5 is an absolute bargain compared to the new iphones and now the new pixel 2

Soldato
Yeah I agree totally... Google should provide 2 years sw updates from date it's purchased (assuming from Google themselves)

Whilst I'm not defending 2 years of updates, how on earth can they guarantee software updates for a device based on onen individuals purchase date?!?! Kind of a ridiculous suggestion tbh. All that would mean is they would have to stop selling older devices.

Soldato
Two years means three major releases right? Look at the 5X, it's two years old, came with Marshmallow and is upgradeable to Nougat and Oreo.

Permabanned
OP
Two years means three major releases right? Look at the 5X, it's two years old, came with Marshmallow and is upgradeable to Nougat and Oreo.

And for those that find it useful, rumour has it that Google will soon announce a trade-in programme with the purchase of your new Pixel phone. Details scant at moment but might be confirmed at 4 October event.

Soldato
To be fair, it's a bit like CEX, you won't get a great trade in price on a device from anyone. You're almost always going to get better selling privately. One thing Google could perhaps do is offer part of it in store credit (not for devices) but maybe instead if $150, you get $100 and $100 credit to buy some box sets?

Soldato
That’s what I was getting at - it’s still a bargain compared to flagships, even if the price has gone up

I could maybe see past the whole fitting the screen upside down fumble but lack of ois together with oneplus not having good eis skills troubles me.

The reason I sold my oneplus 3 was due to its poor camera

I can get the 5 with student discount for £400 which is a whopping £450 less than the pixel 2

Soldato
I could maybe see past the whole fitting the screen upside down fumble but lack of ois together with oneplus not having good eis skills troubles me.

The reason I sold my oneplus 3 was due to its poor camera

I can get the 5 with student discount for £400 which is a whopping £450 less than the pixel 2

Same here with regards to the student discount. Have you seen the new 4K EIS footage though? It’s almost pixel level good

Edit: https://youtu.be/Lo-XT_1Vf5I

Soldato
Same here with regards to the student discount. Have you seen the new 4K EIS footage though? It’s almost pixel level good

No but I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Have they sorted out the touch issues? That's my last niggle really. Heard that some people have found the screen not very responsive.

Soldato
Whilst I'm not defending 2 years of updates, how on earth can they guarantee software updates for a device based on onen individuals purchase date?!?! Kind of a ridiculous suggestion tbh. All that would mean is they would have to stop selling older devices.
It's only rediculous because you didn't read my post properly. Devices sold by Google. Not 3rd parties.

It's only rediculous because you didn't read my post properly. Devices sold by Google. Not 3rd parties.
So a device sold by Google, eg if I buy the pixel 1, a year old product, direct from Google today, it has to have 2 years of software updates?

I don't understand what is being moaned at here tbh. My 6P has had 2 years of software updates from Google so far. Not sure how well it's last for a 3rd year and another os update would probably slow it right down

Soldato

No, I understood that. I guess they do only have the Pixel on sale now, but it would still seem silly to me to base it on purchase date rather than release date. As I said, they would simply have to remove things from sale when they could no longer guarantee the updates, which would not be good for us. Guaranteed updates from release date makes much more sense. If you buy a year old phone (like the Pixel now) that's just something you need to consider.

Soldato
So a device sold by Google, eg if I buy the pixel 1, a year old product, direct from Google today, it has to have 2 years of software updates?

I don't understand what is being moaned at here tbh. My 6P has had 2 years of software updates from Google so far. Not sure how well it's last for a 3rd year and another os update would probably slow it right down
As you say the 6P is onto its 3rd iteration of the OS, so in that regard it has had 3 years of software updates (so long as the security and Oreo updates continue, which I assume they will).

My understanding of the updates is that the device will receive updates for ~2 years from when the phone was launched (so the Nexus 6P wasn't guaranteed to get Oreo) but the OS updates aren't what they used to be, at least not in terms of adding functionality.

Back
Top Bottom