**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
It's not clear to me from what I've read whether the default camera app will be using the Visual Core from now on in 8.1, or whether we'll have to still switch it on manually in the dev options (or is this only to enable for 3rd party apps)?

On another note I've become paranoid today that I've managed to slightly bend my phone, but since it's kept on my desk or inside coat pocket I'm not sure how I could have done it. Seems flat enough face down on my desk, maybe I'm going mad but something must have triggered the thought in my mind! Maybe it was just an image/website on the screen wasn't aligned very well.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Another S7 owner. You liking the Pixel 2 so far? I find it to be a revelation in comparison. You really don't understand how far ahead Googles OS implementation is until you try it I think. I've not even felt the need to change my launchers, keyboards and whatnot, which is normally the first thing I do on a new phone.
I am yes, my 2XL is a great upgrade from the S7E. I've always been a bit of a 'stock' Android fanboy and missed it when I went from the Nexus 6P to the S7. I'm glad to be back on a clean unskinned version of Android with awesome hardware.

The price put me off a few times and I nearly sent it back due to the cost of the device, but I'm glad I didn't. I do still think its a bit over priced though.

I've always used Nova Prime and Gboard so not much of a change in that regard is needed.

It's not clear to me from what I've read whether the default camera app will be using the Visual Core from now on in 8.1, or whether we'll have to still switch it on manually in the dev options (or is this only to enable for 3rd party apps)?
Not sure tbh. If I get the update later I'll report back.

Associate
So my pixel 2 came earlier today. Massive upgrade from my iPhone 6 but I get download pending unless I clear cache in the play store and reboot. Any ideas?

Permabanned
OP
My Panda 2 XL will soon have the Panda Pixel Buds attached!

Ordered my Pixel Buds on the Play Store with UK delivery on 14-15 December.

Will provide comments on the Pixel Buds in due course. Really enjoying the Panda phone.

Blue tint issue for some a complete non-issue for me. Have had plenty of compliments on the new phone from friends who are iPhone users especially.

Permabanned
OP
So genuinely then, hows your screen and the device in general? Enjoying it?

I am enjoying it very much.

I am pleased with the bigger screen on the Panda vs my previous Pixel 2. I appreciate the pixel density and the 18:9 aspect ratio.

The camera is outstanding, giving me great pics in good light and in poor light. I appreciate the HDR which gives me sharp images, even in the shadow areas. I am looking forward to seeing the apps developed around the Pixel Visual Core processor.

I appreciate the skinnier bezels and the curved edges on the side of this display.

I am looking forward to experiencing the sound quality of the Pixel Buds which I ordered today and expect delivery in 10 days.

Soldato
Got my 2XL Panda. Blue tint is quite bad. But really happy with the phone otherwise. Will see if I want to keep it, or maybe return it and try for another go at the screen lottery.

Soldato
I don't think the tint is a lottery. You notice it for about 2 days then forget.

For me I use the saturated colour profile which makes the tint even less noticeable. The screen is actually a very good screen. Maybe not as good as the Samsung's or apple X but still very good !

Soldato
On the contrary I think the screen is average at best. Too many issues. Blue tint at shallow angles, no accurate calibration, heavy black crush, average max brightness.

Loosely related to the screen...due to the heavily rounded curved glass (2.5d), the side bezels (not top and bottom) are too large.

If you don't care or notice the above then I guess the screen is fine.

Associate
On the contrary I think the screen is average at best. Too many issues. Blue tint at shallow angles, no accurate calibration, heavy black crush, average max brightness.

Loosely related to the screen...due to the heavily rounded curved glass (2.5d), the side bezels (not top and bottom) are too large.

If you don't care or notice the above then I guess the screen is fine.

I'd probably agree with the Average assessment - average by 2017 standards, at least; I say by 2017 standards, because in 2017, we're really quite spoiled for screen technology. It's not as good as a Samsung, nor an iPhone X, but I'd say it was pretty much on a par with mostly anything else around today one way or another.

The fact that the rest of the phone is so good more than makes up for it for me. I love the look, the software, the speed, the battery life, the fast updates, the camera and the relative rareness of it (yes I am one of those saddos who doesn't like conforming to the "norm").

Soldato
Coming from an S8 the screen looks nearly as good head on (but it's grainy which the S8 isn't). However, it's much worse on an angle. It doesn't feel like it measures up to the price for me. But the rest of the phone is fantastic.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I received an unexpected surprise today. You may remember how I ordered my XL2 from Google for delivery on release day but cancelled it over the screen fears and bought an iPhone X. You may then remember that I ordered the XL2 again from Carphone Warehouse for release day despite only ordering the weekend before. Well I got a text message from CPW stating that an item was out for delivery today and it turns out to be a home mini! I thought I didn't qualify as I ordered quite late but there you are. Hopefully other owners of CPW sourced Pixels will get home minis too :)

BTW don't worry the iPhone X went back after a week. Phone itself is lovely but it runs iOS which completely negates the experience - doh.

Back
Top Bottom