**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Permabanned
OP
Just got an update for it, wasn't showing earlier. Stickers working now! Thanks :D

I just got the update to 8.1 too and playing with the AR Stickers at the moment too.;)

And to be clear to a question asked I think by jimlad the other day, the updates includes AR Stickers and ARCore. Expect more features using the powerful ARCore processor soon.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
AR Stickers is amazing! Loads of fun!

While we are really enjoying the AR Stickers from the 8.1 update, I could not help but think about my experience a few years ago with AR on Google Glass and how ahead of its time Google Glass really was---too far as it turned out.

As the article link below from Wired makes clear, the author believes we are near-term heading for AR Glasses that do what Google Glass first introduced but with a more satisfying form factor---namely glasses that are really unobtrusive -- ie, like glasses you really wear. And then of course longer term (15 years), the chip implant is believed to be the next big paradigm.

According to the author, AR is expected to be really a huge transformation in helping to create the next computer paradigm, replacing the smartphone.

https://www.wired.com/story/future-of-augmented-reality-2018/

Permabanned
OP
My AR stickers were on by default after the update, do I still need to enable Visual Core in developer options? Are the two things completely unrelated?

Visual Core was updated (ie turned on) automatically with the 8.1 update. AR stickers are made possible by Visual Core.

Permabanned
OP
One of the debates going on in technology concerning AR (a hot topic on this Board) is whether Apple has begun to corner the market for AR features with its investment in Finisar announced yesterday. Both Finisar and Lumentum are major players in manufacture of vertical cavity surface emitting lasers, a key ingredient in Face ID.

These sensors go into sensors that enable 3D mapping, necessary for AR (digital objects overlayed on the real world). Will be interesting to see response of competition.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-a...lock-rivals-path-to-ar-features-idUKKBN1E804U

Associate
Anyone had any issues with the Headphone Adapter? Doesn't seem to pick it up first time and it hit keeps disconnecting if I wobble the dongle. Feels like a loose dongle?

Mine has been OK on the odd occasion that I've used it, but I did feel at the time it would be a non-issue not having a headphone jack, however, it has been more of a pain than i expected. I may well invest in wireless finally.

Anyone got any recommendations? Not the Pixel Buds as I've not read too many great things and the price is not reasonable.

Associate
Anyone got any recommendations? Not the Pixel Buds as I've not read too many great things and the price is not reasonable.

I'm using Jaybird X3 at the minute... took a while to get a setting that approaches the clean quality of my wired RHA 750i set, but they're getting there. Range seems decent enough, and I've only had dropout issues when Google Play Music's streaming some of my uploaded tracks that I've played for the first time, otherwise they've been spot on after getting used to them.

Briefly tried a Belkin bluetooth adaptor that let me use the RHA set, and I'd say it was a little below the RHA set when directly wired.

I'd be interested to see the next revision of the Pixel Nexus Buds though, once Google finally figure out they shouldn't have foisted a beta product developed in a tech bubble on us...

Soldato
I've just asked the OH for a pair of Airpods for Christmas and I had the O2 Priority voucher a few days back so I dropped a few hints and let her order it through my account for the discount. My brother has them for his iPhone X and I tried them out and I have to say they are excellent. I have certainly heard better sound from over ear headphones such as my Samsung Level On's but from an in ear set these come pretty darn close. The one thing that I really noticed was the noise cancellation. I tried them in the the living room with a footy game on the tv and a few people watching and I couldn't discern any outside noise at all. And if you download AirPods for GA on the Play store they control the phone/Google Assistant just as they do Siri on the iPhone or Pixel Buds.

Associate
I've just asked the OH for a pair of Airpods for Christmas and I had the O2 Priority voucher a few days back so I dropped a few hints and let her order it through my account for the discount. My brother has them for his iPhone X and I tried them out and I have to say they are excellent. I have certainly heard better sound from over ear headphones such as my Samsung Level On's but from an in ear set these come pretty darn close. The one thing that I really noticed was the noise cancellation. I tried them in the the living room with a footy game on the tv and a few people watching and I couldn't discern any outside noise at all. And if you download AirPods for GA on the Play store they control the phone/Google Assistant just as they do Siri on the iPhone or Pixel Buds.

Thanks mate, I will check those out :)

Associate
I'm using Jaybird X3 at the minute... took a while to get a setting that approaches the clean quality of my wired RHA 750i set, but they're getting there. Range seems decent enough, and I've only had dropout issues when Google Play Music's streaming some of my uploaded tracks that I've played for the first time, otherwise they've been spot on after getting used to them.

Briefly tried a Belkin bluetooth adaptor that let me use the RHA set, and I'd say it was a little below the RHA set when directly wired.

I'd be interested to see the next revision of the Pixel Nexus Buds though, once Google finally figure out they shouldn't have foisted a beta product developed in a tech bubble on us...

Thanks for the suggestions (also to everyone else who chimed in)

Soldato
Airpods aren't noise cancelling... are they?

Back
Top Bottom