**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Latest leaks on the Pixel 2 from Android Authority include:

1. They are hearing Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL and the Pixel 2 XXL.
2. Pixel 2 XL screen size 5.6 inch display with an 18:9 aspect ratio, like on the LG G6. LG rumoured to be manufacturing the Pixel 2's.
3. A curved panel
4. Snapdragon 835 (or possibly the 836 chip set) supported by 4GB RAM and 128 GB storage.

https://androidcommunity.com/google-pixel-2-leak-spills-a-lot-of-important-details-20170611/
If points 2 and 3 are correct then I'm very pleased to not have waited for the pixel 2!

Permabanned
OP
Latest leaks on the Pixel 2 from Android Authority include:

1. They are hearing Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL and the Pixel 2 XXL.
2. Pixel 2 XL screen size 5.6 inch display with an 18:9 aspect ratio, like on the LG G6. LG rumoured to be manufacturing the Pixel 2's.
3. A curved panel
4. Snapdragon 835 (or possibly the 836 chip set) supported by 4GB RAM and 128 GB storage.

https://androidcommunity.com/google-pixel-2-leak-spills-a-lot-of-important-details-20170611/
Regarding point 2, further blog comments suggest that HTC is the manufacturer of the smaller Pixel 2 and that LG is the manufacturer of the larger Pixel 2. If true, that would be the first time that Google is choosing two separate OEMs for either a Pixel or Nexus launch. Speculation that Google is working with LG for the larger Pixel 2 due to better availability of display screens with LG. Pixel sales were constrained due to limited supply of the screens. Rumours that Google is investing in a new display manufacturing line at LG. Reading the trade press in Taiwan, it seems the new supply concern will be in NAND flash during the next 6 months. Diversifying OEMs may prove a smart strategy to help meet Pixel 2 demand:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170613PD205.html

Permabanned
OP
"LG and Google are investing heavily in OLED." And yes, the original Pixel smartphones used OLED screens.

A deal between LG and Google is being discussed but I have not seen confirmation that the proposal has been finalised. It would seem to make a great deal of sense for Google to secure OLED display screen supply as this was the main bottleneck that caused Pixel phone demand to exceed supply in the 9 month period since the Pixel smartphones were released. LG and Google are also reportedly working on folding display screens.

I found this excerpt from a Korean business blog site called ET News, dated 9 April, 2017. It has been translated from Korean to English by Google Translate:

"1 trillion won is the amount to build one line to produce 6th generation small and medium sized flexible OLED. Google's facility investment proposal, which is not a purchase of a panel like this, is said to be a strategic relationship with LG Display. OLED is in short supply than current demand, and Google will secure priority and stabilize panel supply and demand. Google, however, does not require proprietary lines, such as Apple, that require specific technical specifications. LG Display is building 6G-generation flexible OLED production lines in Gumi E5 and Paju E6. The E5 is scheduled to start operation in the third quarter, which is slightly delayed from the original plan, and the E6 is scheduled to start operation in 2018. If Google and LG Display enter into a contract, the OLED for Google smartphone will be produced in Gumi E5."

LG has already invested 1.5 trillion Korean Won in E5 and 2.0 trillion Korean Won in E6. Google's investment would allow greater and faster scale-up.

Soldato
Regarding point 2, further blog comments suggest that HTC is the manufacturer of the smaller Pixel 2 and that LG is the manufacturer of the larger Pixel 2. If true, that would be the first time that Google is choosing two separate OEMs for either a Pixel or Nexus launch.
Eh? 6x was lg and 6p was huawai

Permabanned
OP
Are we really discussing a much bigger shift at Google? What is the big picture here from these apparent moves by Google to:

1. Invest in the supply chain? Possible investment in LG OLED display screen expansion to secure OLED supply for Pixel smartphones.

2. Move to integrate software and hardware? Design their own SOCs and CPU cores. Could Google's Deep Mind (AI/machine learning) help Google "learn" and iterate on chip design? Deep Mind has helped Google design its own TPUs (Tensor Processing Unit) for servers, so why not for Pixel and Chromebooks and VR headsets?

3. Remove driver control from Qualcomm and have control of the entire stack? Open chip set on ARM/Apple v Qualcomm lawsuit on Qualcomm royalty payments, Google Project Treble (master plan to speed up Android updates).

4. Chips, cores, design of hardware for more than smartphones and laptops? Smart home, self-driving sensors and LIDAR/Google building its own hardware in house including the sensor array that gives the autonomous vehicle's artificial intelligence all the information it needs to navigate safely and react to sudden obstacles or changing road conditions. Significant hiring by Google in hardware, chipsets, including recently the former head of Apple's in-house chip design team.

My sense is that we are seeing a huge move by Google to take on Apple at its own game. If Google succeeds, we will benefit greatly by their competitive moves.

Last edited:
Associate
Th
he Pixel and Pixel XL were highly anticipated devices, but ultimately they were primarily a first-generation, introductory release for Google, and though they weren’t wholly-spectacular, we regarded them a “foundational release“. What was and remains really exciting, however, is what can be built upon said foundations.

Not long ago, we saw buzz surrounding references to upcoming Pixel devices in AOSP — publications with sources informed on the matter went on to report about the existence of three Pixel devices, respectively equipped with a small screen, a large screen, and of course… an even larger screen. Sadly, the in-between device is said to be cancelled according to Android Police’s sources. That leaves us with “walleye” and “taimen”, the smaller and largest device respectively. A recent report found references to what could be the smaller and bigger Pixel successor in HTC U11 files, but according to 9to5google’s sources, the larger Pixel is actually an LG device, which is consistent with reports earlier this year that suggested LG was a likely candidate for a 2017 Pixel phone, something that was reinforced by a bug report not too long ago.

XDA-Developers has obtained information about both upcoming Google devices, which we’ll detail below, from a source familiar with the matter that spent time with at least one of these phones. We are confident in the validity of the details presented below, given the source’s track record, and since these are seemingly-finalized hardware specifications and features, it’s unlikely that they’ll be subject to change.

Taimen
The larger device coming from Google this year will feature a 5.99-inch display with a 1440p OLED panel provided by LG, which isn’t extraordinary given that earlier this year, Reuters reported about Google investing into LG’s display division for their next phone. The phone will sport a smaller bezel than what we saw in the original Pixel XL, and there is a 128GB storage model, though it might not be the only configuration. The device will indeed pack the expected Snapdragon 835 processor (with the big cluster clocked at the reference 2.45GHz frequency, unlike the original Pixel’s lower frequency in the Snapdragon 821-AB) alongside 4GB of RAM. The back is similar to last year’s with a two-tone glass and metal finish, though the glass window is located near the top and no longer encloses the fingerprint scanner. The device should feature a single camera with dual LED flash.

Walleye
The smaller Pixel device will feature a familiar 4.97-inch display with FHD resolution. While the design remains “almost identical” to last year’s smaller Pixel, with similarly large bezels surrounding the display, Google is planning to include stereo speakers at the expense of the 3.5mm headphone jack, which our source says will not be present in this iteration. The phone will also feature a Snapdragon 835 with 4GB of RAM, and there is a 64GB of storage option, making this one of the few small display handsets with premium specifications.

Pixel vs. Nexus Imprint
An interesting detail we’ve learned about is that the pre-production software our source became familiar with on taimen used the name “Nexus Imprint” when referring to the device’s fingerprint scanner, while walleye’s settings referred to it as “Pixel Imprint”. We don’t know whether this is indicative of a Nexus return, though LG has produced several Nexus devices in the past, and these devices don’t seem to be quite as similar as the Pixel and Pixel XL did. However, this might be something that’ll be addressed in the future, and we have no way of knowing whether it means anything beyond a place-holder or left-over name that’ll be changed as development progresses.

https://www.xda-developers.com/source-pixel-2-walleye-and-taimen-specifications-revealed/

Caporegime
I also think they're bad been nothing exciting recently to make me want to upgrade my phone

Loss of headphone jack,
Static battery sizes : higher res screens : more efficiency = static
Gimmicks
Vr

Ugh nothing really to buy a new phone for

Permabanned
OP
I also think they're bad been nothing exciting recently to make me want to upgrade my phone

Loss of headphone jack,
Static battery sizes : higher res screens : more efficiency = static
Gimmicks
Vr

Ugh nothing really to buy a new phone for

I am not basing my buying decision on leaks and rumours just yet as I expect more will emerge. I do know however that between the two supposed Pixel 2s, I would favour the larger Taimen (OLED display screen size 5.99 inches) with its slimmer bezels to the smaller Walleye (4.99 inch display) with bezels similar to the Pixel. The headphone jack issue is not such an important one for me. I do note that rumours suggest Taimen will have the headphone jack while Walleye will not, replaced by stereo speakers. While neither will have the dual camera, I think Google has shown that its ability to produce a great camera has been confirmed with the current Pixels. Otherwise similar specs between the Pixel 2s including a Snapdragon 835 CPU, 4 GB RAM and a faster clock speed on the Taimen at 2.45 GHz.

Stay tuned.

Soldato
Just thinking, if Google remove the headphone jack they better damn well ensure their devs sort out any bluetooth issues. The thread on the google forums makes for unpleasant reading.

Associate
LG Pixel mockup by AndroidPolice
https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/nexus2cee_p2xl_wide_thumb.png

** Do Not Hotlink images **

You're staring at it. This new design, while evoking the theme of the first-generation Pixel XL in some very clear respects, is also a very substantial departure from that phone, as well. Our sources indicate LG is the manufacturer, as has been previously rumored. If you're curious about specifications, I would say XDA's leak a couple of weeks back sounds pretty plausible.

The rear of the new XL is curved like last year's phone, though perhaps with sharper corners this time around. The fingerprint scanner now sits below the glass "window" at the top of the phone, as opposed to inside it, likely because the window itself seems substantially smaller than the one on the 2016 XL.

It's unclear based on our imagery if the new XL's camera is perfectly flush with the glass window as on last year's phone, but the silvered ring around the lens cover suggests to me that it may stick out ever-so-slightly, which isn't the best, but far from a deal breaker visually. Gone is the lower body antenna band (perhaps blended to match the body color?), and the phone doesn't appear to have any noticeable antenna bands anywhere that I can see. It's possible they're just cleverly hidden - I wouldn't hold my breath on a completely "bandless" phone.

Moving to the front, we see the star of the show: an LG-made AMOLED display 6" across at a 2:1 aspect ratio with minimal bezel and rounded corners. It gives the next-generation XL a much more modern look, putting it firmly alongside phones like the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 that have sought to increase display size without sacrificing on ergonomics, by lengthening the panel and dramatically reducing the amount of bezel on the front of the device. Google doesn't quite take it to the full-on Samsung level here, but I still think this is going to ensure the new XL doesn't look behind the curve on smartphone design in 2017. The "3D" glass effect is also much more pronounced on this phone, though don't go confusing that for a curved display - the screen itself is flat.

We can see a very wide speaker grille at the top, as well as the front-facing camera. It's unclear to me if this speaker will be used in tandem with a bottom-firing driver, HTC-style, to create a "stereo" effect, but it wouldn't surprise me. As to the headphone jack, we're not really sure what the status of that is, unfortunately.

In regard to the smaller Pixel, I tend to think it'll be largely unchanged versus the current Pixel, with the new "XL" representing the cutting edge of Google's engineering and design efforts, while the smaller device will act as a sort of entry-level option.

We have no information on pricing or an exact release date at this time. In fact, we don't even know if this phone will be called the "Pixel XL." It could be the Pixel 2 XL or some sort of variation on that, or just be the Pixel - these things usually to get finalized pretty late, and given the lack of any physical Pixel branding on the phone, Google can afford to take its time deciding on a product naming strategy. We're calling it the "XL" for the sake of ease of understanding here, not because we specifically have information suggesting Google is retaining that naming convention.

Finally, we believe that the new Pixel XL will have a "squeezable" frame a la the HTC U11. The same technology utilized in that phone will allow Pixel owners to squeeze their handset to interact with the Google Assistant in various ways (primarily). Hopefully Google's take on this is a little better to use in practice than HTC's - I can't say I was a fan of Edge Sense.

Final thoughts
No doubt, this year's Pixel launch will catapult Google into the age of modern smartphone design. Many, myself included, lamented the fact that the 2016 Pixels aged pretty quickly from a visual perspective, and the large bezels and slightly chunky design made them look a little less than ultra-premium.

I don't think Google will have that problem so much this time around.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ow-bezel-amoled-display-and-squeezable-frame/

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I hope it's wedge shaped like the current one. I'm not sure I like the length but hey ho, I'll pick this over any other android phone just to get the updates.

Soldato
I'll pick this over any other android phone just to get the updates.
do the updates give much thesedays ?

i was always nexus but skipped the pixel in favour of the oneplus 3 and for once dont think im missing out software wise. just camera wise

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If this "confident" render turns out to be the real deal, then my S8+ will be up for sale when the Pixel 2 XL comes out. But only if it has a 256GB storage option and IPX rating. We already know that Google said the next pixel will have water resistance, so that's a given. Here's hoping it will have wireless charging too,m since even the iPhone 8 is going to have that, and Google need to compete.

That render looks so hot.

Back
Top Bottom