**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah, Pixel XL2 looks like a definite buy to me despite the possible lack of headphone jack.

My main concern is the price. Top-end phones are only getting more expensive. Will Google go for £780 and pitch this as a direct competitor to the S8+? I hope not! If so we'll be in a situation where the price of their flagship phone has almost doubled in two years (6P was £450 on launch).

Man of Honour
It's going to be more expensive than the Pixel XL at launch, this much we already know given what Google bods have hinted at in interviews and things.

So expect the XL2 to rival the Note 8 in terms of price. Near the £1000 mark!

Soldato
If that's the case, then Google can go fish. I felt stupid buying the Pixel XL at £720 (despite how good it is). Anything more is daylight robbery. I'm sure the S8 and S8+ will be cheaper by the time the XL2 comes out and Google will have a battle on its hands if it isn't pricing competitively.

Soldato
If this "confident" render turns out to be the real deal, then my S8+ will be up for sale when the Pixel 2 XL comes out. But only if it has a 256GB storage option and IPX rating. We already know that Google said the next pixel will have water resistance, so that's a given. Here's hoping it will have wireless charging too,m since even the iPhone 8 is going to have that, and Google need to compete.

That render looks so hot.

Not happy with the S8 then I take it?

Permabanned
OP
My only issue with the pixel was it was outdated very quickly looks wise. Hope the pixel 2 does follow

The Google (GOOG, GOOGL) second-generation Pixel XL is expected to feature a curved back, a low-bezel AMOLED display manufactured by LG, and a "squeezable" frame allowing users to squeeze their phones to interact with the Google Assistant, according to Android Police, citing sources. The phone is also expected to feature a fingerprint scanner below the glass window at the top of the phone, a wide speaker grille and a front-facing camera.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ow-bezel-amoled-display-and-squeezable-frame/

Soldato
I'll more than likely miss the Samsung tweaks in Android and end up going back, maybe Note 8?

Who knows, it's a crazy time to be alive :p

We're in for a good end to the year with the Note 8 and Pixel XL 2 most likely to be competing to take the 2017 phone of the year title, or that may have already been the s8 but we don't know it yet :D

Soldato
Bit worried about LG making one of the Pixel 2 models after the issues with some of their past and current phones (and the Nexus 5X) bootlooping :/

Permabanned
OP
@sesevans mentioned it, but nobody really knows yet.

And following Android Police yesterday's leaked render of the Pixel 2 XL, I noticed XDA added some further possible features in their story today:

always-on ambient display features,
a variety of use cases for the phone’s purported squeezable frame,
a few different display profile options

Soldato
do the updates give much thesedays ?

i was always nexus but skipped the pixel in favour of the oneplus 3 and for once dont think im missing out software wise. just camera wise

Yeah I think so. Android is coming along nicely with new features such as app badges and context menus. I use these more than I expected to.

Permabanned
OP
Because he works for them. Clever bit of hype building using forums.

Err, no. As I have said previously, I do not work for "them" and I am not in the industry. I am merely a keen tech fan and when if I have something to say about a technology or a feature I like, it seems fun to share my thoughts with others. Chill.

Like you, I am following the Pixel 2 closely and find some of the possible features exciting, including the "squeezable frame." We know this concept works as it is a feature of the recently launched HTC U11. Will Google expand on it and make it mainstream?

In theory the idea seems good. I like the concept of activating a shortcut or launching a specific app with a squeeze. Launching the camera or flashlight or Google Assistant with a pressure-sensitive, pre-calibrated squeeze are three ideas that come to mind. Or what about squeezing the phone to silence an incoming call? By including a squeezable frame means that the Pixel 2s can do away with any extra button on the screen, making the phone sleeker, allowing them to shrink the bezels. Building the squeeze into the internals of the phone means no extra bumps or bulk.

Bring on the 2's in October!

(I assume Google will launch the Pixel 2's the same month they launched the Pixel 1's).

Soldato
I'm in desperate need of a new phone. I'm still using a Nexus 4 which is basically broken. I looked at some contract prices for the original Pixel but just saw this thread about the Pixel 2. If the rumours are right and there is a budget model I might wait for that to come out. If there is no headphone jack though that'll be annoying as I often listen to music on my mobile phone through Spotify. Hopefully there will be some sort of adaptor.

Do you think I should wait for this or just buy a Pixel now on contract? I have no idea about Android mobile phones. I don't really follow the industry that much. The original post said it was due out in July. I assume that has slipped now given the date?

Back
Top Bottom