**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
FTFY.
As I've said before the 'washed out' colours are not my concern, the grain/blue tint are. I've said before I always switch my phones to sRGB straight away. I have my S7E on basic because I prefer it to Samsungs over saturated default.

vUuLOTs.jpg
TBy6Uz1.jpg
[/MEDIA]

Looks like a polarisation problem to me - notice how the closer part of the phone is fine.

Usually, if it's a display issue only, you'd find the whole screen to be off.

I think cancelling pre orders is a little silly at the moment. If it turns out to be a quality control issue on early devices, you'll (not you specifically) be pretty annoyed when you have to wait 3 months for the device to come back in stock.

And with regards to the grey uniformity issues - I'll try and get some better photos at my local store tomorrow. I'll ask to have more of a play with one, and explain how I've got a contract on order with them at the moment, hence the concern.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Oh I'll not cancel mine, worst case I'll return it, but I'll not cancel it. :)

Yea if you could that would be good, When I popped into town after work here they only had the Pixel 2 in CPW. Which looked very nice btw, and the bezels aren't as bad in the flesh as they look in pics and videos etc.

After that I decided to try the EE shop who did have one. But some little **** broken the charger earlier that day apparently and the battery was dead. So all I could do was look at the blank screen. :mad:

FML. :p

The 2XL did look great though! Just a shame I couldn't see the display in action.

Soldato
Well my Pixel 2 honeymoon period is over after 24 hours.

Bluetooth audio fails when connected to my car. No audio whatsoever - looks like thye haven't fixed the Oreo bug :(

Soldato

Bluetooth audio fails when connected to my car. No audio whatsoever - looks like thye haven't fixed the Oreo bug :(

Please tell me your kidding!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So pleased I cancelled my preorder. I was trying to listen to spotify last night on my bose 35s and had to switch to the headphone jack. To be honest, I've lost patience and now looking for a non pixel android device.

Soldato
That's got to be annoying. How about one of those £15 Bluetooth pass through gadgets until they fix it? Just plug into an aux in?

To add to the £629 phone? Shouldn't have to do that :(

Please tell me your kidding!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So pleased I cancelled my preorder. I was trying to listen to spotify last night on my bose 35s and had to switch to the headphone jack. To be honest, I've lost patients and now looking for a non pixel android device.

My BeatsX BT headphones have been working perfectly which is why I was so surprised.

Soldato
To add to the £629 phone? Shouldn't have to do that :(

My BeatsX BT headphones have been working perfectly which is why I was so surprised.

Strange thing is, my bose were fine for a few days after the latest fix. Last night I was getting the annoying glitches again. Still not changed a damn thing in the car though.
I have a second RMA for my replacement XL so might return it again, get a sealed box and put it on ebay.

What do I buy though?

V30 - slow updates and poled screen
S8 - lag and awful software experience

Wait for the oneplus version of the F5?

Soldato

I'm both disappointed and glad to hear you say that. Not good for you unfortunately but at least now that you've shared this information I know that waiting for the XL 2 to come out won't fix my own issues either.

Just placed an order on the rainforest for a customer return S8+ for £575. I'll give it a go for a couple of weeks and see if I can live with the Samsung UI again.

Soldato
Just why put that coating on it if you’re going to tell people to put a case on it anyway?! Saying how grippy and stuff it is (it is really lovely to hold in your hand), but then put a clause in the T&C’s saying oh by the way that nice grippy coating? Probably going to wear off if you wear jeans, and will chip off easily. And crack.

I really, really wanted this to be the phone. But as the days go by, I’m feeling less confident about buying this in contract. This doesn’t seem like the phone which will last 2 years.

Soldato
I'm both disappointed and glad to hear you say that. Not good for you unfortunately but at least now that you've shared this information I know that waiting for the XL 2 to come out won't fix my own issues either.

Just placed an order on the rainforest for a customer return S8+ for £575. I'll give it a go for a couple of weeks and see if I can live with the Samsung UI again.

You could try installing the pixel launcher on it, that may go some way into making it less samsung

Soldato

He seems a little overly critical to me. He makes a huge deal of the fact that your not touching actual metal. So it does have a metal body and it does have a pretty amazing coating. (I noticed on the black Pixel 2 that my fingerprints just fade away. Pretty impressive.) He talks like we've been cheated as it has a coating on it? Surely any phone will chip/mark when/if you drop it?

He did have some valid points of course, I don't watch many of his tests (if any) buy I assume that bending and splitting was bad? With the amount of force he was putting into it, it didn't surprise me. I would think that's a lot worse than you sitting on one though, no?

Personally I'd like to see factual 'scores' and how they match up. So he mentioned it lasted 5 seconds longer on the burn test than the V30, but is it still bad? How long do others last? How much force gets applied until it cracks, surely there's a more scientific way of testing/measuring? How much do other phones take?

Just watching that video, not having seen others, I'm only left with what he's saying is good or bad and as I say, it seemed like he had a bit of a slant on things?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I really, really wanted this to be the phone. But as the days go by, I’m feeling less confident about buying this in contract. This doesn’t seem like the phone which will last 2 years.

I feel you. Is it me or is Google making it real hard to like the Pixel!? Christ I just wish my pre order was here already so I could make up my mind now!

Soldato
He seems a little overly critical to me. He makes a huge deal of the fact that your not touching actual metal. So it does have a metal body and it does have a pretty amazing coating. (I noticed on the black Pixel 2 that my fingerprints just fade away. Pretty impressive.) He talks like we've been cheated as it has a coating on it? Surely any phone will chip/mark when/if you drop it?

He did have some valid points of course, I don't watch many of his tests (if any) buy I assume that bending and splitting was bad? With the amount of force he was putting into it, it didn't surprise me. I would think that's a lot worse than you sitting on one though, no?

Personally I'd like to see factual 'scores' and how they match up. So he mentioned it lasted 5 seconds longer on the burn test than the V30, but is it still bad? How long do others last? How much force gets applied until it cracks, surely there's a more scientific way of testing/measuring? How much do other phones take?

Just watching that video, not having seen others, I'm only left with what he's saying is good or bad and as I say, it seemed like he had a bit of a slant on things?

Well generally, you’d expect a phone, if made of metal, not to split like it did. He mentioned that it’s the weakest point of a phone, yet Google decided to put an antenna line there, creating a weak point in the frame. Sure, it’s unlikely to happen, but he’s just pointing out that you need to be weary of it splitting.

Same with the coating - it’s a layer over the metal, but he’s just explaining how easy it is to scuff/wear off.

The burn test is mostly irrelevant, other than giving an idea as to how thick the glass is.

It’s a durability test, so the less failures or design flaws, the better. He’s really against the throw away culture, and thus expects phones to last at least 2 years

Back
Top Bottom