**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
As he said, just say it’s plastic instead of metal with a coating. Because you’re not touching the metal, and it’s misleading to people that like the durability of a metal body.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Just saying the phone is plastic would be a massive injustice. I don't see how they can be more accurate than saying it's a metal body with plastic coating. It is one of the things I liked most about the Pixel 2, how it felt in the hand. Having the sturdy metal body under that gives it that solid feeling. To me it's a plus point for the device.

I wouldn't want you to stop posting mate you have posted some really good stuff in the last few days especially :)

Sorry, I wasn't being particularly serious. Early morning just out of bed grumpy Andy perhaps. :)

Soldato
Okay, I don't know what this forum is doing with my posts now... triple post.

It showed my post in quotes with nothing of what I'd quoted... then it added it in a new post?!

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Just saying the phone is plastic would be a massive injustice. I don't see how they can be more accurate than saying it's a metal body with plastic coating. It is one of the things I liked most about the Pixel 2, how it felt in the hand. Having the sturdy metal body under that gives it that solid feeling. To me it's a plus point for the device.

I love the feel of the device too (I think it’s one of the nicest feeling devices I’ve held in a long time), but they’re just a little inconsistent with their description is all. Moreover, I wear jeans pretty much every day, so it’s now pointless having that nice feeling, because they’re admitting it will wear with denim.

Just a little short sighted. Seems pointless making something feel so good in the hand and then saying but you’ll definitely want a case, because on top of it being more prone to chipping, the colour will rub off

Associate
I'm almost gutted to read about all of these problems with this phone.

I really love the Vanilla experience, but the screen quality, more bluetooth problems and other issues that seem to be cropping up are putting me right off for the price.

For the first time, I can say I've wanted to buy a new gadget, but there are things that are stopping me from getting out my wallet.

I can see that I'm going to end up sticking with my 'Vanilla-ized' S7 Edge for the forseeable.

Google, you have disappointed me. Your software experience is second to none, so why, yet again, are we lumbered with so-so hardware?!

:(

V_R

V_R

Soldato
@james.miller Fair enough that's some interesting reading, which tbh is all new to me. I didn't know that they calibrated at 0 lux, I'm just going by what I've read on sites like XDA where they say things like this:

"The Galaxy S7 has one of the most accurate displays on the market if you select Basic in the color settings."

https://www.xda-developers.com/color-rendering-android-why-all-oems-must-offer-an-srgb-mode/

As said by someone above, no mention that's calibrated in the dark! :|

FWIW, this is the S7E on DisplayMate.

I've just been playing with the S7E display modes and to be honest I think they look a little over the top, just sat here at my desk, the colours look way over done. Personal preference I guess.

Anyway back on topic.
I just want to be able to see the 2XL in the flesh, after my failed attempt yesterday I'll try and find somewhere else that has it on display this weekend. Like I said the smaller Pixel 2 looked great!

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77jap4/erica_griffin_wow_the_pixelxl2_screen_is_crap/

Also this comment:
"My 2 XL wasn't "grainy" like I've seen mentioned here (though I had the blue tint issue) but my coworker's was. It definitely was noticeable. We compared it side by side with a Galaxy S8 that someone had at the office and the difference was night and day."

its starting to look more and more like what I said before, some of the displays are good and some are bad...

Caporegime
Yup now I'm back to looking at the gs8 again......

Too many drawbacks with the pixel 2 to justify the price:

- terrible durability
- last year screen display tech and a small screen in a biggish body (GS 8 is ever so slightly taller but has a 5.8" screen!!!!)
- no wireless charging
- bluetooth issues

Who knows what else will crop up within the next week or 2....

Surely the gs 8 can't be that bad for performance a year or so down the line especially if you only use it for browsing, youtube, calls, texts, camera, reddit and replace everything with google stock apps and disable/uninstall the bloat/samsung apps???? Camera may not be as good but it's not exactly a bad camera.

Such a shame as stock android and guaranteed fast updates for 3 years + HDR+ is great.

If the pixel XL was guaranteed to get another 2 years of updates instead of just 1, I would have picked it up for £400 and made do with the larger size.

Soldato

- terrible durability
- last year screen display tech and a small screen in a biggish body (GS 8 is ever so slightly taller but has a 5.8" screen!!!!)
- no wireless charging
- bluetooth issues

Surely the gs 8 can't be that bad for performance a year or so down the line especially if you only use it for browsing, youtube, calls, texts, camera, reddit and replace everything with google stock apps and disable/uninstall the bloat/samsung apps???? Camera may not be as good but it's not exactly a bad camera.

Such a shame as stock android and guaranteed fast updates for 3 years + HDR+ is great.

If the pixel XL was guaranteed to get another 2 years of updates instead of just 1, I would have picked it up for £400 and made do with the larger size.

you are jumping the gun a little.

terrible durability - well that is just stupid to say that

the display is subjective - we all no samsung over saturate

the 8.1 update that is due will most likely fix the remaining bleutooth issues if you even have an issue. as far as i am aware some cars have issues with Oero 8.0 - either way it will be fixed

wireless charging ? you kidding me 15mins gives you like 40% and 6 or 7 hours of use. why the hell do we need wireless charging its nothing new and very slow

Soldato
Agreed that 'terrible' is overstating things, but then he's doing that a fair bit with the new Pixel like the 'ridiculously out dated bezels' or whatever it was :)

It will be interesting though, I never use cases and have the Panda 2 XL on order, so I guess I'll find out myself it it discolours in my pocket!

wireless charging ? you kidding me 15mins gives you like 40% and 6 or 7 hours of use. why the hell do we need wireless charging its nothing new and very slow

I also think it's interesting. Are those moaning about needing a wire to charge also upset about not being able to use a wire to listen to music? :)

**EDIT** I would also point out, I'm in favour of wireless charging, but for me it's a long way from being any kind of an issue.

Soldato
WHAT really bugs in in "new phone" threads

people for whatever reason can't justify or afford to get a new handset (which is fine) but then feel the need to jump on hint of imperfection to justify not getting it and hopefully talk others down the same road for more self assurance that they made the right choice. it's pretty lame.

I am waiting for the 15th November for mine to arrive, i have also had a play with one in the shops. i am happy if i feel it has a problem or will be a problem i will return within my legal rights.

Soldato
Agreed that 'terrible' is overstating things, but then he's doing that a fair bit with the new Pixel like the 'ridiculously out dated bezels' or whatever it was :)

It will be interesting though, I never use cases and have the Panda 2 XL on order, so I guess I'll find out myself it it discolours in my pocket!

I also think it's interesting. Are those moaning about needing a wire to charge also upset about not being able to use a wire to listen to music? :)

**EDIT** I would also point out, I'm in favour of wireless charging, but for me it's a long way from being any kind of an issue.

i am pretty sure my nexus 4 ? had wireless charging used it once or twice, hardly a deal breaker. Apple will no doubt make people "must have it" but for me when you see the speed the pixels both 1 and 2 can fast charge why would you need. i can stick my pixel on charge while i make breakfast and shower and get to 70% from flat before i leave the house.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
To be fair wireless charging is great, and its not slow, you can get fast wireless chargers now.

I love the convenience of it, I have a stand on my desk at home (similar to this) and a pad at work, just being able to drop my phone on it and it charges is great, and the one at home double as a clock with the AOD. :)

Associate
There has been maybe two occasions I wish I had wireless charging. Both have been when I've been out, battery almost dead and seeing Starbucks and Macdonald's Charing pads on the tables. That would have come on handy then. At home.... Cable is fine with me.

Soldato

- terrible durability
- no wireless charging
- bluetooth issues

GS8 has very fragile glass on both sides. Bottom of the group in more than one drop test. They are also not very scratch resistant at all, mine already had a couple of scratches on the back before i put a skin on there. I dont know if the pixel two is similar or not. But otherwise, though, it's a better phone than the pixel 2.

_JimLad_ said:

the 8.1 update that is due will most likely fix the remaining bleutooth issues if you even have an issue. as far as i am aware some cars have issues with Oero 8.0 - either way it will be fixed

:/

Caporegime
I'm not sure the durability is 'terrible' Nex... also would you use a case?

I wouldn't use a case, I always buy one at first but after a week or 2, it just comes of as phones just feel so much better naked in the hand :p

Problem is, I always put my phone in my jeans and sometimes the back pocket and thus when you bend, well you get the idea, wouldn't be surprised to see similar issues that people had with the iphone bendgate.

Also, I have experienced the discolouration issue with my 5x back, it is not nice at all, phone looks like it has been dropped in grease or something, no matter what you use to clean it, it still looks the same, simply the back coating has worn of in parts. Also, my HTC one s had a similar issue a year or so down the line with the coating coming of/chipping even with the very best of care......

Well the "ridiculously out dated bezels" still stands, you can say what you want, it doesn't change the fact that in 2017, they are outdated.

Just go and look at gsmarena's screen to body ratio..... Even a nexus 5 is better here, a nexus 6 is also better, even the first pixel is better......

You can try to spin it whatever way you want but there is no way to defend the pixel 2 bezels in this day and age.

As for discolouration, if it is anything like the 5x, don't be surprised to see the white go to a creamy/yellowy white after 6 months or so.

As for headphone jack, wireless ear phones etc., I don't care about that as I don't use my phone for music hence why I never post about it.

Wireless charging is one of these things where once you use it and have docks set up around work/home, it just makes thing so much easier/quicker/better, I used it with my n5 for only a few months and sorely miss it on the 5x especially when I'm having to charge my phone at least twice a day now......

We will wait and see but like I said, I have had similar issues with previous phones before due to the coating etc. so yeah, guess we will know in 4+ months time.

I am not talking about the pixel xl 2 display, I am just talking about the pixel 2 5" display, it is smaller than my 5x and is the same as last years model and still 1920x1080 (again no problem with the res but in this day and age, that would be considered low end territory yet the phone still costs £630.....) and again, a 5.8" VS a 5" screen in more or less the same sized body is pretty impressive....

Sorry but how long has the pixel been out and how long has it been having bluetooth issues? Sure, it may get fixed within the month on the pixel 2/xl 2 but given the length of time that people have been suffering bluetooth issues, you would like to think that it would at least have been fixed for the pixel 2/xl 2 by now.

ATM, I could get a galaxy s8 + gear vr + controller for £530, is the pixel 2 really worth the extra £100? For my needs, not really.... Overall, the pixel 2 has the software side covered but the galaxy s8 has the hardware side covered.

And whilst you guys may see it that way, to me and others, it just comes across like you are defending/justifying your choices/purchases or/and you don't like to see what you are about to buy getting bad reports so you unintentionally go into defending mode as per usual on this type of forum so you see it kind of goes both ways :)

EDIT:

And for the record, yes samsung do over saturate their displays big time (they look awful on the default settings) but at least you have options/control to make it more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom