Man of Honour
Seems the renders from drawings have already started. If the latest is anything to go by, then Google have finally caught up with hardware design and can be called a flagship competitor now :cool:

2ZCFBAt.jpg

The pill is bigger than the S10, I imagine because the Pixel cameras have always been typically bigger than the competition anyway so that makes sense.

Hopefully Google won't stick with low a RAM figure like they did Pixel 3. Phones that rely on AI/Machine Learning will be using data volumes all the time, 8GB should be standard. Android will always utilise available RAM leaving 1.5-2GB free for reserve. Means less app re-opens on task switching, a better experience all round.

Rumour is the Pixel 4 will have an in-screen fingerprint sensor, probably Qualcomm's latest generation. Google is also bringing back facial unlock and authorisation in Android Q, so expect FaceID like Apple have.

"Expected" specs:

- Snapdragon 855
- 6/8GB RAM
- 128/256/512GB(?)
- Standard + wide angle rear canera
- Standard/wide + FaceID front cameras
- Ultra sonic in-screen fingerprint sensor (Google have previously said they don't think optical ones are as secure as they should be)
- IP67/8 rated
- Wireless charging (though fast wireless charging probably limited to Google's own charging pad only again...)
- Maybe 4000mAh battery, likely 3600-3800mAh

Especially looking forward to seeing Google's maths/HDR+ do its work on the wide angle lens. Even the S10's wide angle camera isn't as good as the main camera, no phone is. But I think if anyone can do it right, it's Google with their software algorithms.

Finally, a Pixel phone I actually want.

Soldato
Been waiting for this thread to appear, as good a the S10 looks, I couldn't commit to the software and pre-installed apps. Hopefully there won't be any major disappointments this time round.

Associate
I would definitely like to see a telephoto lens for zooming, it's the one thing I miss on my pixel 2 XL, and would allow it to become a genuine camera alternative.

It NEEDS more RAM 100%

I guess Apple has patented it but I'd like to see the finger print reader die and a system like Face ID instead. It's just too easy to accidentally unlock the phone with these which has become a major issue for me with my pixel 2 but I do see reports that it happens with other phones with FPS.

And pretty, pretty please can we have a phone that doesn't take months of software updates before it actually works like it should.

Man of Honour
OP
Google has sussed digital zoom with the Pixel 3 series using their algorithms. It uses camera shake to build neighbouring pixels when zooming for a sharper image. It's not quite as good as a dedicated zoom lens, but it's certainly good enough. Wide angle is where the money is now.

Apple don't have a patent on FaceID type tech as other Android OEMs like Huawei have it in the Mate 20 Pro and the like. Since Android Q has native support for FaceID, you can expect the next Pixel to support it out the box as well.

It might have taken 4 versions, but maybe, just maybe, Google has finally started to get things right?

Inb4 "no headphone jack??" :D

Soldato
It can be called a flagship competitor because it now has a stupid punch out in the screen? Yup ok....... I doubt it will have face unlock like AppleID either, It will be the same as all the other unsecure face unlocks on Android if that render is anything to go by.

Soldato
That list does almost sound like wishful thinking but also nothing from stopping them putting all those things in as none of it will be ground breaking tech come release time.

Soldato
Those renders make it look like gash due to the cutout imo... Would much prefer a small teardrop notch so you can hide it and have status bar either side. But that aside yeah pixel 4 will probably be my next phone

Soldato
Lets hope they don't use LG for their screens like on the pixel 2XL. Awful screen on that device.

If it looks like the render i'm in.
They came through on the Pixel 3 non XL. Colour calibration is on point as is viewing angles and lack of blue shift. It just needs 100 nits more of peak brightness.

Man of Honour
OP
More renders by Phone Designer. Google surely can't let the world down 4 times in a row... I'm sure they will find a way to mess something up however :D

Annotation%202019-03-17%20181631.jpg

Annotation%202019-03-17%20181657.jpg

I'm not sure about the front-facing camera placement. It's a bit of a chunk out of the screen and you'll notice it when viewing films or playing computer games. It might even be enough to obscure how many lives you have or some other screen corner stat.

Back
Top Bottom