**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Man of Honour
That'll probably work @Hades although there may be some niggles with how some keys map to equivalent Android functions.

My old Logitech KeysToGo from iPad days worked reasonably well with the Pixel C, but with mapping oddities as described above.
Thanks. I already use it with my Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 and it all works great. It feels just like a laptop and all navigation keys, trackpoint, etc, work near perfectly.

Soldato
I ordered with the standard keyboard (with the discount) on Mon and received both yesterday.

Some first impressions from me:
> Agree with earlier comments - unboxing the table is a pain in the rear and i felt like i was having to slap the tablet around inside the box in order to open it without grabbing a knife or something.
> Love the look and feel of the tablet and like the light strip.
> The screen res and screen I find to be great compare to older tablets I have and the old laptop i'm using for work.
> Got the keyboard with it and has taken a little getting used to, but think i'm getting used to the keyboard.
> Setup a spare Logitech BT mouse connected up and working without any issues.
> Paired up with my OP5 no probs for times when i've no Wifi.

One main reason i've ordered it was I wanted to replace an old basic laptop, but i need to remote into work using Citrix Receiver. And this is where i'm having most of my issues, it's so far unreliable trying to connect/launch my office desktop over Citrix. And this is the key issue i have right now with the tablet, but this could just be an Android/Citrix issue as the tablet itself is great.

Have already looked at returns info and have 15 days since yesterday (You can return an item that you've bought from the Google Store within 15 calendar days after the day that you received it.) to make up my mind.

Associate
Mine has literally just arrived. Sounds like a nightmare to get it out the box. I'll be finding out soon....

Ps. I can try Citrix on it as well if you like see if my experience matches yours?

Soldato
Mine has literally just arrived. Sounds like a nightmare to get it out the box. I'll be finding out soon....

Ps. I can try Citrix on it as well if you like see if my experience matches yours?
I at one point tried grabbing the box at opposite corners, but that didn't really help. If you had something very thin and slide it between the box opening that might help.

Soldato
The upper and lower parts of the box have such a small tolerance that they're a tight fit. I ended up losing my patience and grabbing the top and shaking up and down :o Awaiting a tri-cover to be delivered today. That should see me using it a lot more as I hate using nekkid tablets. I used the headphone port for the first time last night to watch a tv show - it was loud and clear so I'm happy there.

One thing to note: The Pixel C seems to take a minute or two to negotiate/display 'rapidly charging' when used with a few of my RavPower usb-c battery packs. Not entirely sure why. I plan on using this and my existing Aukey USB-C charger for the tablet so the included google one will go back in the box.

Soldato
Well mine isn't detecting the keyboard. Did yours work automatically? Mines not even listed as a bluetooth device. Hoping its just flat.
Yeah i had a similar issue, took a few attempts to connect the keyboard. I had to leave it closed on the tablet and gave it a charge for a while.

I then pulled them apart, powered up the tablet, enabled bluetooth, then attached the keyboard (this sets it to pairing mode). Then do a search/refresh on bluetooth to search for it.

Associate
Yeah i had a similar issue, took a few attempts to connect the keyboard. I had to leave it closed on the tablet and gave it a charge for a while.

I then pulled them apart, powered up the tablet, enabled bluetooth, then attached the keyboard (this sets it to pairing mode). Then do a search/refresh on bluetooth to search for it.

Thanks Nade, I'll give this a go. There is literally no juice in the tablet so I'll leave it charging at work. Currently updating to Oreo.

Associate
Keyboard started to work after I'd charged for 5 minutes, and a reboot, it then prompted me for the code and now its paired. Battery is too low to update to Oreo and the warning came up to say my keyboard was low on juice, so thats what it must have been.

Soldato
Keyboard started to work after I'd charged for 5 minutes, and a reboot, it then prompted me for the code and now its paired. Battery is too low to update to Oreo and the warning came up to say my keyboard was low on juice, so thats what it must have been.
My keyboard once i got it connected needed to download and apply a firmware update, but i wasn't sure how much battery life it had in it, so was worrying when it was doing that.

Associate
My keyboard once i got it connected needed to download and apply a firmware update, but i wasn't sure how much battery life it had in it, so was worrying when it was doing that.

Yeah mine did say that as well but I've decided just to get the thing charged before I start using it properly.

Soldato
One thing to note: The Pixel C seems to take a minute or two to negotiate/display 'rapidly charging' when used with a few of my RavPower usb-c battery packs. Not entirely sure why. I plan on using this and my existing Aukey USB-C charger for the tablet so the included google one will go back in the box.

I find my Pixel XL does a similar thing with my Anker multi charger and my EasyAcc power pack. I think it might be down to the fact that these chargers use their 'IQ Charging' to "work out" what power delivery is required and I reckon this doesn't happen instantaneously.

Man of Honour
@nade I have tried Citrix Receiver on my Samsung Tab Pro for the same purpose. It does work but I recall it being a little buggy. It's also sensitive to network glitches. I was in an area of poor reception at the time which may explain my experience. I am out tonight but will try it properly tomorrow. It won't be on a Pixel C but it may still be useful.

@Kainz My Lenovo P2 phone also takes a short time to go to fast charging with some chargers.

Associate
Just updated to Oreo. This took the form of one big update, and then about 4 or 5 smaller ones, with each one needing a reboot.

Some observations so far about the tablet.

1. I will miss the fingerprint reader on the iPad, but its not the end of the world.

2. The performance is smooth and effortless

3. The screen is superior to my 5th Generation (2017) iPad in terms of image quality.

4. The bluetooth keyboard seems to take a while to pair with the device after a reboot

5. I can tell even really early on that the orientation bug is going to be a problem on some apps - press on the weather forecast on the home screen, and the weather forecast opens in portrait - rather annoying - you would expect that Google would have at least have it sorted on their own apps.

6. The fact some icons are round and some aren't is pretty jarring. Due to the above 2 points, I'll probably stick Nova on it sooner rather than later, but hopefully I'll get to keep the type to search capability.

7. The split screen implementation is streets ahead of iOS 11. I just can't seem to get used to the Apple version, its just not intuitive. Googles version is so much easier to use.

8. Tried Citrix Receiver to connect to my work system. Not even remotely usable. Good job I don't have to really!

Thats about it for now.

Associate
OK I've gone and installed Nova. You can still type to search, but its basically broken. It registers your first key press then puts the cursor at the beginning. So if you tried, for example, typing 'overclockers', you would end up with 'verclockerso'. Really annoying!

Soldato
5. I can tell even really early on that the orientation bug is going to be a problem on some apps - press on the weather forecast on the home screen, and the weather forecast opens in portrait - rather annoying - you would expect that Google would have at least have it sorted on their own apps.

Get Rotation Control Pro. Everyone who has just bought a Pixel C, buy Rotation Control Pro.
I foolishly went months without the app when I bought mine, it's pretty much essential if you're using the tablet with the keyboard.

I'm a big one to sing Google's praises, but on this issue they are utterly pathetic. If I set the tablet to landscape, with the keyboard attached then it should stay that way. Why is it that a third party app can solve all the issues, and Google can't integrate it into the OS?

Associate
Some observations so far about the tablet.

I use Rotation - Orientation Manager on mine, with it set to "Force Full Sensor". Couple of niggly apps that make it spin like a Tasmanian Devil, but on the whole it makes things behave according to how you're sitting with the screen.

Associate
Thanks both, I'll check those out. It's not without its faults, but it really is a very likeable machine isn't it (as long as you dont need to use citrix!). I've gone back to the default launcher now, I couldn't live with that weird issue with the searching.

Back
Top Bottom