**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Soldato
8. Tried Citrix Receiver to connect to my work system. Not even remotely usable. Good job I don't have to really
Thanks for trying this. Been playing around with mine all day and if I'm on my home WiFi, it does at least work sometimes, but using either Bluetooth or WiFi tethering on my phone and it just doesn't work.

All other apps working ok while tethered, but working remotely was key reason I gave this a try over a laptop. Might have to just return it :(

Associate
Thanks for trying this. Been playing around with mine all day and if I'm on my home WiFi, it does at least work sometimes, but using either Bluetooth or WiFi tethering on my phone and it just doesn't work.

All other apps working ok while tethered, but working remotely was key reason I gave this a try over a laptop. Might have to just return it :(

I was actually on my work network when i tried this, so in theory, the best possible connection. It would be a deal breaker if I had to use it for that purpose for sure. For your needs, you have to be better off with a laptop.

Associate
Having used it a bit more, I'm quite smitten with it, despite its flaws. You do need the keyboard though, I agree with the others, it makes it, especially if you use some of the keyboard shortcuts! And typing on it is FAR better due to the physical keyboard and extra real estate not having an onscreen keyboard takes up. Even the girlfriend likes it, just the general use and look of the machine. I've had lots of gadgets and this thing is definitely more than worth the money for the price it costs now. Prefer it to the iPad even. Its a tablet for those that want "nearly there" laptop functionality. It's a shame about Citrix but that has to be the apps fault surely?

Associate
@FishLicker what is it about this device that makes you prefer it to the iPad?

Mainly because of android. I'm not all that keen on iOS, and it would seem to have taken a couple of steps forward and a couple back with iOS 11. This thing is like a half way house between tablet and computer.

I will say I'm not impressed that Netflix (and probably other things) won't steam to my TV from it though (which the iPad does fine)

Soldato
I will say I'm not impressed that Netflix (and probably other things) won't steam to my TV from it though (which the iPad does fine)
Best bet is get a Chromecast (about £30) and have it connected to TV. I've had one for a while and lets me do this.

Man of Honour
@FishLicker Either get a Chromecast or maybe an Amazon Fire TV Stick which has an app for Netflix (and iPlayer, YouTube, etc). I expect they will be cheap on Black Friday. You can get a Fire TV Stick remote on Android too.

Associate
Best bet is get a Chromecast (about £30) and have it connected to TV. I've had one for a while and lets me do this.

@FishLicker Either get a Chromecast or maybe an Amazon Fire TV Stick which has an app for Netflix (and iPlayer, YouTube, etc). I expect they will be cheap on Black Friday. You can get a Fire TV Stick remote on Android too.

I do actually have a Chromecast, but its only the 1080P version. I have the 4K Netflix built into my TV, which has always worked seamlessly before. Having said that, I have discovered that if I manually load the Netflix app it starts to work. So, not a deal breaker.

Other than that it's been pretty good so far. I may still have a play around with some different launchers to see if I can improve on the stock one, which works pretty well, but I'd like a bit more scope on customising ideally - but having said that, it does seem to work well enough in terms of functionality - such as app searching by swiping up from the bottom and typing, and web searching by pressing any key and then typing. It all works well enough and I notice that the apps view is taken straight from a Chromebook which explains why it works so well and intuitively (seriously, I couldn't stand the ipad implementation).

Associate
Can anyone tell me if it's worth buying a screen protector?

Any other accessories you have purchased?

Cheers
I've ordered one but not put it on as of yet, for me all of my devices have screen protectors and I get tempered glass where I can.

Accessories wise it seems very hard to find anything for it, I may get a tri folio case for the days I don't use the keyboard and a good quality pouch for when I am using the keyboard.

Associate
Thanks MLAM,

I'm same always have tampered glass on my phones so will defo grab on for this too, I've seen a few complaints about keyboard leaving scratches on screen though not sure how true that is.

I noticed the Pixel C doesn't come with earphones, so I'm on look out for decent pair.

Super excited as this will be my first tablet :D

Soldato
Mines been sitting in a Moko smart shell case for a few days now and I'm more than happy. It's one of those cases with a tri-folding cover. Obviously it adds a bit of weight into the equation but it's manageable. The case works well and there's a cut out for three Pixels LED strip too. Very happy with the purchase. I'll put pix up later.

I'm pondering a tempered glass protector too but can't find much out there apart from oddball eastern company manufacturers so I'll look into that properly tonight.

I was reading the ifixit teardown of the Pixel C last night - they couldn't even fully disassemble the tablet! Build wise through tablet is really well made with modular parts. I couldn't believe that the tablet has a massive 17 rounded magnets within and an induction coil for charging the keyboard attachment. I also can't quite believe that Google have more or less abandoned making tablets of this quality.

I'm going to sit on Android 7.1.2 for now. Not too pleased with reports of oddball lag, and a few app issues on YouTube etc around various forums that I've been looking at. I had those issues on my 6P when I tried Oreo.

Excuse the yellowness...
FxtVGZg.jpg

tTDLKjU.jpg

PMhHuEL.jpg

bPlB206.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on oreo and haven't had any lag or problems with youtube. The only problem with youtube is that the PIP mode doesn't work, and apparently this is because you now have to subscribe to youtube red, which annoyingly, you can't in the uk.

Associate
Actually I've noticed the lag now in youtube. If you are within the youtube app itself and use the PIP mode by dragging down the video or pressing back, then the rest of the interface becomes really laggy. I gather its going to be fixed in the next android update anyway.

How are we all us Pixel C newbies enjoying the device so far? I'm fairly happy with mine. Only problems I've noticed is that typing in a 3rd party launcher to search is not really working as it should, so you really have to use the Pixel launcher. The keyboard seems to go to sleep if you arent using it and there's a bit of a delay for it re-activating (couple of seconds). Also, the device doesn't autocorrect your words with the physical keyboard.

Otherwise though, it's a nice enough little device to use. The keyboard shortcuts are handy, it's still better typing on a physical keyboard than onscreen. The machine feels like a cross between a laptop and ipad to a certain degree. It's a shame that Android tablets do appear to be redundant from this point though. Still, it'll keep me occupied until I can get my hands on a cheap Pixelbook or similar!

Soldato
Absolutely happy with mine. Build reminds me heavily of my old iPad3 I sold last Jan.

The display is just stunning with that great panel, everything looks quality on it. Battery life is pretty much the highest I've ever seen - I'm on 8hrs SoT right now with 35% left. The SoC onboard seems hugely capable for my needs anyway despite the fact that I don't game so I'll never really make full use of it. I've yet to use YouTube on it... (Android Nougat still in use).

My only issue with it is that I can't change the way the onscreen nav buttons are displayed as we're dealing with stock android. I did notice an app to resolve this and add more buttons to the navbar (custom navigation bar) but you need to use some adb commands from the PC to first give it access.

Last edited:
Associate
Glad you're happy with yours. I have moaned a little but overall I'm happy enough with it that I'm confident enough to sell my 2017 iPad and Macbook Air and just use this. It does have its faults, but basically it's easy enough to work around those.

Associate
Just a word of advice to anyone who plays games and has the keyboard. Unless you are going to use the keyboard as the controls, I would advise switching off bluetooth to disconnect the keyboard; if you don't, after a while, the keyboard goes to sleep, disconnects from the tablet and makes the game crash to the desktop. You can resume where you left off, but its a bit of an annoyance.

Back
Top Bottom