**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Associate
not really, when i got it on the pixel, it made a few changes to the screen layout, but not such thing happened on the C still will really need to get it a few weeks to see what bugs raise up.

Soldato
I've been using mine quite a lot in the folio case recently, leaving the keyboard at home. I like it, but it just doesn't feel right!
I'd like to use it for work, but unfortunately the majority of our teaching materials use flash/shockwave and I just couldn't find a browser that would play nice. :'(

Haven't checked for 8.1 update yet, not been keeping up to date on Android news at all, don't even know what features it brings.

Associate
Well I think I'm going to sell my Pixel C. I'm just not gelling with it. What don't I like about it?
  • Not keen on the whole keyboard setup. It's novel the way it works but I find it a bit clunky
  • Speaking of the keyboard, too many missed keystrokes or double keystrokes. Every time I type. And the text doesn't autocorrect when using the keyboard, nor does the dictionary work. Really, really irritating.
  • Keyboard has a habit of going to sleep at random times (I know, its probably a battery saving measure but still)
  • Really quite laggy performance, especially compared with my OH's iPad Pro 10.5, and my own Pixel 2 XL phone
  • Apps that don't rotate (these rotation software fixers don't always help)
  • Apps tend to crash quite a bit - example, yesterday I was trying to show OH a picture from the Google app, trying to make it full screen made it crash. We ended up using her iPad. This is Google's own app as well FFS!
  • Just feels really rough around the edges in terms of software. For example, the stock launcher wastes so much space, yet other launchers don't play ball with the keyboard so much. And the weather app built in on the main screen is designed for portrait mode only, yet you cannot remove the icon without disabling things I don't want disabled.
  • No finger print reader. Not a big deal, but its there on nearly all other devices nowadays.
I am not really much of an Apple fan at all, really, but after using OHs iPad Pro 10.5, it makes the Pixel C feel like a Tesco Hudl to be honest. It is just so much better in every area that matters to me.

I am so glad that I didn't pay full price for this. At the price I paid, it is just about acceptable, but the bottom line for me is, I'll be going and getting myself an iPad Pro as it is just that much better and worth the extra money for me. At least though the prices remain strong in 2nd hand market, so I'm cashing in while its still worth something.

I still think though it is one of the best Android tablets you can buy, but to me, it just shows the terrible state that Android tablets are in nowadays.

Associate
I have to agree with you Fishlicker, since the 8.1 update things have gotten worse. Apps crash much more often, tablet doesn't seem to be a smooth/ responsive as it was. Games stutter a lot.

For a "premium" tablet it's abit of a let down.

I've had mine for a few months (paid full price :( ) and the screen is very unresponsive (sometimes taking multiples presses to acknowledge anything) the power button I have to press hard and the microphone has failed. I will be returning my Pixel C for a replacement and if still the same will move it on.

Maybe I got a dud unit from day 1 but comparing to the 2 Nexus tablets which are still going strong this is a let down indeed.

Still won't be moving to apple though :D

Associate
I have to agree with you Fishlicker, since the 8.1 update things have gotten worse. Apps crash much more often, tablet doesn't seem to be a smooth/ responsive as it was. Games stutter a lot.

For a "premium" tablet it's abit of a let down.

I've had mine for a few months (paid full price :( ) and the screen is very unresponsive (sometimes taking multiples presses to acknowledge anything) the power button I have to press hard and the microphone has failed. I will be returning my Pixel C for a replacement and if still the same will move it on.

Maybe I got a dud unit from day 1 but comparing to the 2 Nexus tablets which are still going strong this is a let down indeed.

Still won't be moving to apple though :D

I never used it with the 7.x OS but mine has been about the same from 8.0 through to 8.1.

Its not a bad tablet, but apart from the screen, it's not enormously better than my old Hudl 2. I mean, don't get me wrong, it IS better, but I could forgive relatively poor performance from a tablet that cost £80, not so easy with one that costs nearly £400, never mind at the full price of £600+.

I'm not much of an Apple fan but its clear to see they have this sector well and truly sown up.

Soldato
Absolutely love mine and I got a bargain as it was on sale at that time.

I have zero issues here apart from some android apps being generally crap on a tablet and not taking advantage of a larger screen. I've always blamed Google though for not embracing their tablets as well as they should have. Performance wise the thing flies in everything I do and since I don't play games I doubt I'll ever push this too hard anyway. My only complaint is that typing feels odd because the tablet doesn't seem to have a vibration motor...

I am using 7.12 though because Oreo can go and do one for now.

Associate
Absolutely love mine and I got a bargain as it was on sale at that time.

I have zero issues here apart from some android apps being generally crap on a tablet and not taking advantage of a larger screen. I've always blamed Google though for not embracing their tablets as well as they should have. Performance wise the thing flies in everything I do and since I don't play games I doubt I'll ever push this too hard anyway. My only complaint is that typing feels odd because the tablet doesn't seem to have a vibration motor...

I am using 7.12 though because Oreo can go and do one for now.

If yours is flying along as well as you say then you’re probably wise to stick with Nougat. I never really used Nougat on it as I updated to Oreo straight away. I’ve now gone and bought an iPad Pro 10.5 so mine will be on its way out in the next few days.

Soldato
If yours is flying along as well as you say then you’re probably wise to stick with Nougat. I never really used Nougat on it as I updated to Oreo straight away. I’ve now gone and bought an iPad Pro 10.5 so mine will be on its way out in the next few days.
Glad you're enjoying the ipad. Yeah I'm quite weary about Googles latest OS's after early nougat versions being a disaster. Oreo ran like total trash on my 6P so I was never going good to touch it on the Pixel C. It'll take a good while for that OS to mature imo.

Associate
Glad you're enjoying the ipad. Yeah I'm quite weary about Googles latest OS's after early nougat versions being a disaster. Oreo ran like total trash on my 6P so I was never going good to touch it on the Pixel C. It'll take a good while for that OS to mature imo.

Funny it does run very well on the Pixel 2, but I don’t know if thats just because the P2 has the horsepower to make any lack of speed imperceptible. However, I can probably say Oreo runs ‘OK’ on the Pixel C, but not fluidly, and with a bit of lag, so if that’s something you don’t see on yours, don’t bother upgrading. Your point about the OS needing to mature, its quite possible it might not mature for a good while yet. I seem to remember Lollipop being a flawed release, with Marshmallow fixing it. Unfortunately, the C might not even get Android P.

The iPad Pro 10.5 with keyboard is a stunning bit of kit for reasons I won’t bore you with on here (virtually everything is an improvement), and as such, if one can forgo things like sideloading, torrenting, easy uploading of content (without iTunes) then it’s a great upgrade on a Pixel C as it’s just so fast, smooth, and polished, with beautiful hardware, not cheap obviously, but seriously I don’t need a laptop (and like most on here, no doubt, I have a desktop).

Permabanned
This was released late 2015 so it's too be expected really, it's a testament to the quality of the hardware that it's still so competitive today.

Other than Samsung's new tablet there isn't much worth considering in the high end. The Android tablet market has always been focused on mid range and low end garbage sadly.

Associate
Been given an iPad Pro 10.5, so sold this off while it's still got value... no doubt I'll regret it later - not unlike picking up a Nexus 7 (2013) the other day - but for now, farewell Pixel C, you were ace while I had you.

I dunno, I’ve had my 10.5 for a few weeks now, absolutely no regrets. For sure there are things I don’t like about iOS, but the hardware quality and overall speed and smoothness of the software, as well as the quality of the apps and the refinement of the thing make it an easy choice for me, and its worth every penny of its extra premium. Not to mention the fact that it benches about 5x faster so it will comfortably outlive the C.

The C was a nice enough tablet for its time, even a very good one, that deserved better really.

Permabanned
Standard Google tbh. Release a good product and just forget about it.

There was something on the news last week about Tablets being donated to kids in some African country, they were apparently locked for educational use only.

When they showed images of the children using them they appeared to all be Pixel C's, nice gesture from Google but that's kind of a sad end for what could have been the last stock of Pixel C's.

Back
Top Bottom