Places to buy traditional column radiators?

Soldato
Seems to be a bit of pandora's box when you start looking for traditional column radiators online. Can anyone recommend a store they have used? Looking for a 450x1000 white 3 column for our front bedroom (white). Loads on Ebay, but... yeah. We'll need to buy a couple more for our hallways and dining room at a later date. Cheers.

Soldato
B&Q if you can get away with it. They range from £ok it looks nice I'll pay -to- £lol

Think mine are Acova. If you are changing valves then adjusting pipework slightly may be cheaper than the precise one.

Soldato
OP
Hmn looks like for now we might opt for a standard radiator in the front/spare bedroom. Although it'll be a traditional Edwardian looking room with a darkish green/blue on the walls we think actually it might look quite nice with a rad painted the same colour as the wall. Or we'll swap it out later. Budget constraints are hitting! :(

Also doesn't seem to be many that are 400/450mm high. We can't go higher than 450mm as our windows are so big (guessing the house never had central heating originally when it was built in 1902) and 300mm we think might look a little daft. Hmn.

Soldato
Hmn looks like for now we might opt for a standard radiator in the front/spare bedroom. Although it'll be a traditional Edwardian looking room with a darkish green/blue on the walls we think actually it might look quite nice with a rad painted the same colour as the wall. Or we'll swap it out later. Budget constraints are hitting! :(

Also doesn't seem to be many that are 400/450mm high. We can't go higher than 450mm as our windows are so big (guessing the house never had central heating originally when it was built in 1902) and 300mm we think might look a little daft. Hmn.
Can you totally move it somewhere else and have a vertical rad?

Soldato
OP
Can you totally move it somewhere else and have a vertical rad?
Nah not really. External wall is two big sash windows. Current cheap rad sits inbetween them and slightly higher than the sills. Looks dumb AF. One other wall will be bed, two bedside tables, other wall will be fireplace and wardrobes. I've seen some people put a vertical rad inbetween the windows but in my opinion it looks rather silly and is not in keeping with the character at all.

Maybe I'll have another look to see if a 300mm high would really look that silly. I think its just too small. Big high windows/ceilings and a teeny tiny rad underneath, I doubt it'd look right.

Soldato
Nah not really. External wall is two big sash windows. Current cheap rad sits inbetween them and slightly higher than the sills. Looks dumb AF. One other wall will be bed, two bedside tables, other wall will be fireplace and wardrobes. I've seen some people put a vertical rad inbetween the windows but in my opinion it looks rather silly and is not in keeping with the character at all.

Maybe I'll have another look to see if a 300mm high would really look that silly. I think its just too small. Big high windows/ceilings and a teeny tiny rad underneath, I doubt it'd look right.

There's loads here around 400-420mm tall? https://www.traderadiators.com/radiators/white-column-radiators

I think the traditional way would be to put one radiator under each of the sash windows is that correct?

Soldato
OP
There's loads here around 400-420mm tall? https://www.traderadiators.com/radiators/white-column-radiators

I think the traditional way would be to put one radiator under each of the sash windows is that correct?
I looked earlier and there's only one model that has the proper traditional column look (the other is slightly modernised). It's £550+ inc feet! :( Was hoping for suggestions on cheaper places, looks like we might not find anything seen as it's an odd size.
I bought this one and it seems ok to me (very heavy for such a small rad)

Cheers, good to know Plumbworld have an ebay store. They dont seem to have any that are not 300 or 600 high though.

Anyway, all noted for future use. Girlfriend seems keen to get a temp modern one for now, maybe see what it looks like painted. We've only been in the house 1yr and she's slightly worried about hooking up a shiny expensive rad to an old system that hasn't been drained etc. I dunno. Costwise I'm not sure we can start blowing £500+ on each rad. Always wanted one for the hallway and front room but I think the others are much less noticeable.

Soldato
OP
Do you guys think a column radiator can be mounted on an external facing single brick wall without feet support? Doesn’t state the weight but I think a 300x1010 two column might look nice if it’s mounted just a little higher on the wall (and not on long legs). Between the skirting and the window. It’s made of steel, not cast iron! Just thinking out loud..

Soldato
Do you guys think a column radiator can be mounted on an external facing single brick wall without feet support? Doesn’t state the weight but I think a 300x1010 two column might look nice if it’s mounted just a little higher on the wall (and not on long legs). Between the skirting and the window. It’s made of steel, not cast iron! Just thinking out loud..
I hope so, I have a 3 column 400x1800 mounted on an internal wall without feet. The bolts and plugs supplied are substantial, two at the top and two at the bottom, which hopefully means it's going nowhere. :D

Soldato
OP
I hope so, I have a 3 column 400x1800 mounted on an internal wall without feet. The bolts and plugs supplied are substantial, two at the top and two at the bottom, which hopefully means it's going nowhere. :D
lol what is your internal wall made of? This is an old house, the external wall is just single brick and plaster. Guess I need to ask the plumber..

Soldato
lol what is your internal wall made of? This is an old house, the external wall is just single brick and plaster. Guess I need to ask the plumber..
It's a thirties semi so I'm assuming the supporting walls are brick. I actually phoned the company who supplied the radiator and they said that it would be fine without feet, as long as it was a brick wall. The plumber said he'd prefer to use feet but as they were out of stock I didn't give him a choice. :D I must admit the radiator was quite heavy to lift, even before filling with water.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom