Planning permission objection loss of light

Associate
The building opposite our property was being converted from offices into student apartments, during the conversion it burnt down, the company that owns the property have now put in a planning application to rebuild it.

I was just wondering is loss of light a valid objection as the building was already overshadowing our house before burning down?

Soldato
I feel for you if they're building student accommodation right next to your house. The main concern I would have is noise; I can't imagine it would be hard to do some research on noise levels in student areas vs normal residential areas. I know it's a big issue in Loughborough, and the university are very strict with it.

On the plus side, you get 3 months of quiet in the summer :)

Soldato
Does the design 'fit in' with the surrounding buildings? E.G. is it an ultra modern glass box in a traditional residential area? Then that is decent reason to object.

Soldato
Right to light is not a thing in relation to planning objections from what I have read... Best to find another reason if you can.

I would imagine that, as long as the builders stay within the original footprint and size, planning objection will be difficult

Soldato
Yeah i was told that wasn't a thing when we went through planning. Right to privacy is so you can't have a window facing someone elses bedroom for example but no one is entitled to light or a view is my understanding.

As there was a building there anyway i'd doubt you'd have any leg to stand on planning wise?

Associate
I had to do a rights to light survey as a planning condition - it cost me £3k and was largely pointless. It gave monetary awards to various windows (although I never paid any) based on a perceived loss of light.

If there was a building there previously, and it was there for more than 20 years, you have no right to light claim. I presume it will be rebuilt the same so will not alter your light previously enjoyed. These people are the experts: https://gia.uk.com/

Good luck with the students.

Associate
OP
Depending on who you speak to there are a number of reasons,

1, Student was smoking
2, Contractor left equipment on
3, The owners were unable to extend the building as it was listed, hence they caused an accident so it would burn down and they could rebuild it.

At the time of the fire the building was still being renovated, flooring not complete and so on which made it difficult for the fire brigade to go in, think it took them 2 weeks to put the fire out with teams from Leicester and Derby also being drafted in.

Funny thing is that the owners have been in the new many times before for insurance / NHS fraud.

Back
Top Bottom