Planning permission ?

Associate
Neighbours house is approx. 6foot lower down than ours.

We are in the process of levelling our garden at the moment. Then plan to put up a 14' x 10' shed.

example.jpg

I didn't think I would need planning permission for the shed as long as I kept it under 2.5 metres.

neighbour has been saying that he really doesn't want us putting up a shed as it would block too much light to his garden. Which I can understand, I said I would compromise and turn the shed so it isn't length ways onto his garden. He still wasn't happy. I can see where he is coming from, but at the same time I want my shed (plus up until about 4 months ago there was a row of 16' silver birch trees next to the fence blocking his light anyway).

Just went to call the planning office to get their take on things but they shut at 5. Will ring them in the morning, but thought I would ask here and see what the general opinion was.

Soldato
So guessing shed is about 20ft from neighbours house? Is it a bungalow as planning officer might take it into account. Possible compromise lowering shed a couple of feet and nice planting on boundary? Good luck.

Associate
OP
Yeah shed would be well over 20 foot from neighbours house. House is a large detached house.
Not keen on the idea of lowering the shed, would look a bit odd having a sunken shed in the garden, but thanks.

Soldato
Yeah shed would be well over 20 foot from neighbours house. House is a large detached house.
Not keen on the idea of lowering the shed, would look a bit odd having a sunken shed in the garden, but thanks.
Understand that. Have you got a section showing proposed shed-boundary-banking/slope-neighbours house? PO might want to see that. Can you live with shed moving in from boundary or not?

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Copy & Paste incoming. But it should answer your question.
If you live in England or Wales, you will
not have to apply for planning permission
for your shed or garden room provided it
meets the following criteria (all measurements
are external):
• Not including the area occupied by the
house, the shed does not cover more
than 50% of the garden.
• Your shed is not located on land forward
of a wall forming the principal elevation –
not in front of your house.
• The shed is single storey with a maximum
eaves height of 2.5 metres and a
maximum overall height of 4 metres if it
has a dual-pitched roof, or 3 metres in
any other case.
• If the shed is located within 2 metres
of the property’s boundary, the entire
building is not more than 2.5 metres high.
• The shed has no veranda or balcony.
Raised platforms such as decking should
be no higher than 30cm from ground
level
• The floor area does not exceed 15 square
metres. (Up to 30 square metres may fall
under permitted development providing
that other conditions are also met).
• The shed is for domestic use only,
by those who occupy the house and
contains no sleeping accommodation.

Associate
OP
If you live in England or Wales, you will
not have to apply for planning permission
for your shed or garden room provided it
meets the following criteria (all measurements
are external):
• Not including the area occupied by the
house, the shed does not cover more
than 50% of the garden.

Check

• Your shed is not located on land forward
of a wall forming the principal elevation –
not in front of your house.

It would be in front if we turned it so it wasn't length ways to his house

• The shed is single storey with a maximum
eaves height of 2.5 metres and a
maximum overall height of 4 metres if it
has a dual-pitched roof, or 3 metres in
any other case.

Check

• If the shed is located within 2 metres
of the property’s boundary, the entire
building is not more than 2.5 metres high.

Check

• The shed has no veranda or balcony.
Raised platforms such as decking should
be no higher than 30cm from ground
level

check

• The floor area does not exceed 15 square
metres. (Up to 30 square metres may fall
under permitted development providing
that other conditions are also met).

check

• The shed is for domestic use only,
by those who occupy the house and
contains no sleeping accommodation.

check

Its just the issue of it being so high to his house

Soldato
Is that concrete gravel board your retaining wall (you say they're on a different level)?

At the end of the day a regular fence is permittable which would block light for the entire length, and it sounds like you have overall improved the situation by removing the trees.

Soldato
You don't need to notify anyone about a garden shed if it falls within the permitted guidelines. I'd be putting in a higher fence and a load of trees/ bushes for privacy if i lived there so he hasn't got much to moan about if all you are doing is putting a shed up :p

Caporegime
You don't need to notify anyone about a garden shed if it falls within the permitted guidelines. I'd be putting in a higher fence and a load of trees/ bushes for privacy if i lived there so he hasn't got much to moan about if all you are doing is putting a shed up :p

Hah aye, house we came from had six foot fence plus trellis on top :p

Soldato
You shouldn't need to have planning permission to put up a shed of that size (about 12 sqm, under 2.5m), nor would it require any building regs unless your LA have put in additional requirements.

Associate
How far will the shed be from the boundary? If within 2m, then up to 2.5m is fine and under PD. Check building regs separately.

All this talk of planning permission and blocking of light is a distraction. If it is PD*, none of it applies!

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

* - assuming you are not in a listed building and/or conservation area, and your PD rights haven't been revoked

Man of Honour
How far will the shed be from the boundary? If within 2m, then up to 2.5m is fine and under PD. Check building regs separately.

All this talk of planning permission and blocking of light is a distraction. If it is PD*, none of it applies!

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

* - assuming you are not in a listed building and/or conservation area, and your PD rights haven't been revoked
Yep, this always happens in threads like this. If it qualifies under a PD (as you noted above) then nothing else applies. End of story really.

Back
Top Bottom