Playing Civilization I again...and got hooked again

Associate
Hi,

After reading the Elite thread in this forum I did a google search on old DOS games and came across DosBox. It emulates and DOS and allows you to play old DOS games.

I installed it on Vista x64 and voila - it works.

Extracted Civilization I to a directory -ran it and it works like a dream. I couldn't believe it. Brings back the memories.

I thought Civilization original could not be as adictive as it once was but I was wrong. Played it for a few hours over the weekend. Damn! They don't make games like they used to.

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/dosbox/

PS.
Apologies if this is old news.

Associate
but with Civ at least I found that every new version/sequel was an improvement. In the original you'll occasionally see stuff like Battleships and Bombers losing to Phalanx/Musket

Civ was GREAT and each time one has come out it has been just as addictive as the last, but they have always always improved. So not quite sure why you'd want to play the first one over Civ IV

Associate
OP
You are right.

I am not trying to compare the games. Just loving the fact I can play it after such a long time.

The unpredictability of the original Civ (whilst making it unrealistic) made it enjoyable and addictive. The A.I was very aggressive too.

Soldato
The problem i had with these games was that after a certain point, when playing against AI, the game just takes so long.

For example, i played a game of Alpha Centauri where i wanted to finish the tech tree and research everything, then complete the space race. It got to the point though that the AI had so many units, that the "barbarians" (read, worm things) would multiply infinitely to offset it, and would take 5 minutes per turn to move them all, even on instant movement. Hundreds of units at a time :(

Back
Top Bottom