Playing media - LG OLED help

Soldato
So recently upgraded TV to the B8, and loving the 4k content so far, but wanted some clarification on the best way to play my media.

I have this set up: LG B8 > Sony STR-1060.

I used to play my movies from my laptop, connected to my TV through HDMI, and use as an external monitor playing media on VLC player. However, my laptop power isn't up to playing 4k movies it seems so I need to look at other ways. I've read about nVidia shield, but I don't want to fork out for one just yet. Can I just transfer my 4k files to an external HDD and plug that into the TV?

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, loaded Plex last night and what a worked a treat! I think the next step would to look into getting a NAS for plex.

Associate
Kodi/Plex is your best option for media management, conencted to an external drive/nas. You could try a Rasp 3 before forking out for a Shield (although you may need to double check that the Pi 3 can do 4k).

Depending on how you get your media, you can also automate it with things like sonarr and radarr

Soldato
Raspberry pi 3 can't do 4k, it's just not powerful enough.
What I would recommend instead of the shield is a Mi Box S if you want a separate box with Kodi.
Or an external hard drive can be plugged directly into the TV assuming it's the right format.
The shield is the best option though can also act as a NAS very well.

Back
Top Bottom