PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Have to wonder how many visual settings are toned down to achieve the 4k 30 over the 1080 30

Also under 4k action mode it lists the res as 1080? Thats a tad confusing

Associate
It will render the ui at 4k, and then the 3d game elements at 1080p upscale, so will be a tad blurry I expect, depending on how good the scaler is.

Associate
Probably gonna get a PS4 pro. I've had a gaming pc for ages now, and I even just upgraded it to a 1070, 6700, but I'm fed up of games having frametime issues, Driver issues, stuttering issues, mouse issues... I spend more time fretting about the settings than I do playing. I've just been playing destiny and witcher 3 on the PS4 instead, and even though the frame rate is like 1/3 what my pc is capable of, it just feels overall less stressful.

My partner doesn't notice the issues I have with the pc when I try and point them out, so I guess I'm just more susceptible to it.

Soldato
Probably gonna get a PS4 pro. I've had a gaming pc for ages now, and I even just upgraded it to a 1070, 6700, but I'm fed up of games having frametime issues, Driver issues, stuttering issues, mouse issues... I spend more time fretting about the settings than I do playing. I've just been playing destiny and witcher 3 on the PS4 instead, and even though the frame rate is like 1/3 what my pc is capable of, it just feels overall less stressful.

My partner doesn't notice the issues I have with the pc when I try and point them out, so I guess I'm just more susceptible to it.

Exactly how i felt when playing pc. With console i can just relax and enjoy the experience.

Associate

hmm, not had any of those issues.

also dont think 4k60 should be the 'ideal' pc everyone talks about. 1440 ultrawide 100hz ftw :) -which i suppose is one of the pros for pc gaming, so much choice on your 'ideal' setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on the fence, I'm not a big gamer and haven't really played on the ps4 I bought a couple of months ago (the £149 deal). That said, if I could get £100 for it and add £200 for the pro might be worth it?

I would like the VR at some point

Soldato

Don't suffer as much as you have, but the stuttering on my 980ti in some games was annoying as hell. I ended up getting rid of it all by purchasing a GSync monitor and it's all gone now though, but it cost a hell of a lot to sort the problem. I tend to play on my PS4 way more than my PC though, it's got to be said i've easily had my moneys worth out of it, so that's why i'm upgrading to the pro.

My launch day console, sounds like a hairdryer, disc drive starting to go a bit weird and spit discs out and i've taken it all apart multiple times so no one will buy it. Just going to give it to my little brother and upgrade to the new improved one.

Soldato

I can 100% agree with the stutter. I had this with my 980ti and it annoyed the heck out of me.

Its a combination of v sync, lag and variable frame rates to a static refresh rate. Fixed it like another poster said, with a g sync screen.

Super smooth fps now, but at £400+ for a 144mhz 27" g sync screen, its not what you call a cheap fix.

Soldato
Remember downloading some old classics on PSN last year - crash bandicoot 2, spyro, Rayman (original). Graphics aren't Great for today's standards but had plenty of fun! I've had my share of benchmarks and pushing detail sliders over the limit on pc but I think I've grown out of it now

Associate

Ditto, so I sold my 980ti a couple of weeks ago for £330 :D so that's my pro paid for. Looking forward to getting back to gaming with feet up and not worrying about silly things like vsync isssues, temps etc

Soldato
Good point raised about PC components doubling and Consoles halving in price in recent years, not really thought about it till now but it's absolutely true.

I've also just upgraded my PC to a 1070 and 1440p GSync monitor and like others have no stuttering problems :)

I'd take my PC over any of my consoles all day long but as uncharted etc. Will never be available on PC then I'm gonna need a PS4 although I might not need a XBone much longer if MS keeps releasing its exclusives on PC :)

Soldato
BF1 has hideous framerate drops that make it almost unplayable for me, especially when I'm currently switching between Overwatch, Titanfall 2 and BF1.

Hopefully the Pro will make it better!

EDIT - Pro Patch for November 10th

Interesting list. Going to have to wait comparisons before I decide though!

I'm playing BF1 on XBox and I find it plays really nicely.

Soldato
I wonder what kind of deals will be on at retailers for trading in the PS4. I'd be tempted to get the Pro and VR if it's a decent trade off. Absolutely no need for both, put it that way!

Game has a few deals on at the mo.

See my plan is to trade the PS4 Pro in this time next year for Scorpio and that is mainly because after playing exclusives I see myself wanting PC based VR for higher fidelity. I need to look into PSVR vs Oculus/Vive etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Game has a few deals on at the mo.

See my plan is to trade the PS4 Pro in this time next year for Scorpio and that is mainly because after playing exclusives I see myself wanting PC based VR for higher fidelity. I need to look into PSVR vs Oculus/Vive etc.

If you have a decent enough PC for VR than Scorpio is a pointless purchase as it seems most if not all XB1 exclusives are going to be on PC.

Associate
Just cancelled my pre-order.

The lack of reviews, coupled with the intentional crippling of potential benefits for original PS4 games (disable extra GPU) AND lack of 4K UHD drive were the deciding factors.

I think it could be a great device but I think Sony are mis-handling the opportunity here.

Back
Top Bottom