PlayStation VR / VR2

Soldato
Wonder when we will start to see reviews for this unit and the games? Soon imagine? Vr myst be an odd thing for them to review as its still fairly new so not much to compare each unit against other than the bigger boys

Soldato
Can someone please tell me the pros and cons for the VR when paired with the original PS4 console

afaik, the VR unit comes with a break out box and one reviewer said this was because the original PS4 wasn't powerful enough. Does that mean the PS4 Pro won't bring anything to the table for VR?

also, I have read that the PS4 Pro is only better when games have been optimised to use the additional power. If VR games haven't been optimised, I assume both consoles are going to perform the same?

I bought the PS4 bundle last week (£149 deal), and would be good if I could buy the VR unit for it without thinking to myself, this look rubbish and now need to spend £349 on the Pro

It's all confusing!

:edit:

PSVR = Single 5.7 inch 1920 x 1080p OLED screen?

worrying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjEhzoNxMs

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone please tell me the pros and cons for the VR when paired with the original PS4 console

afaik, the VR unit comes with a break out box and one reviewer said this was because the original PS4 wasn't powerful enough. Does that mean the PS4 Pro won't bring anything to the table for VR?

also, I have read that the PS4 Pro is only better when games have been optimised to use the additional power. If VR games haven't been optimised, I assume both consoles are going to perform the same?

I bought the PS4 bundle last week (£149 deal), and would be good if I could buy the VR unit for it without thinking to myself, this look rubbish and now need to spend £349 on the Pro

It's all confusing!

:edit:

worrying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjEhzoNxMs

All the breakout box is some 3d Audio processing and reconstructs the visor image and send it to the connected TV quote from Mark Cerny,
Marks expressed a desire to clear up confusion during his talk on PlayStation VR at the 2016 Vision Summit earlier this month. “That little box? It’s not like doing all the graphics rendering for VR,” he explained. “That’s not what it does. It’s just a little breakout box. But, because we want the best possible image to be in the headset, all that pre-computation of making everything in the right warped way for the optics of the headset is all done on the PlayStation and that’s shipped over to the headset. So the PlayStation does all that heavy work, gets it all ready for the headset.

“Now, if you just wanted to show that on the TV, first of all the TV wouldn’t even accept that signal, and second of all it would be in this warped looking way and that’s not what we really want people to have to look at. So that little box is just kind of undoing some of the stuff that’s already been done just so you can put it on a television set. That’s what it’s there for.”

Not only that, but 3D audio is also processed within the box. “And since that box is already there it has enough horsepower to do the 3D audio part that I mentioned. So there is where the little bit of 3D audio processing is. It’s not little but it’s a lot less than a PS4’s worth of processing power,” Marks concluded

as for the it looks rubbish you could probably find 10x the amount that says the opposite, and in all honesty its the experience rather than the image, same for Vive and occulus.

Soldato
afaik, the VR unit comes with a break out box and one reviewer said this was because the original PS4 wasn't powerful enough.
That 'reviewer'(there are no actual reviews yet) was quite wrong.

The breakout box does have some processing capabilities, but it's nothing that adds to the graphics capabilities of the PS4. It 'dewarps' the image coming from the PS4 so that it displays a normal 2d image on your TV for others to watch. It also handles the 3d audio capabilities, which does save some CPU cycles, but nothing too dramatic.

The base PS4 is definitely powerful enough to run PSVR.

worrying
What's worrying, exactly? Keep in mind this OLED screen is 120hz and it also has an RGB subpixel structure, compared with the pentile structure in the Vive/Rift. What this means is that while the resolution is a hair lower on PSVR(1920x1080 vs 2160x1200), in actual use, it is entirely comparable in terms of clarity.

Of course rendering resolution plays a big part in how a title looks, and this is where the base PS4 will be disadvantaged some. Higher end PC's will be able to run higher resolutions, sharpening the image and reducing aliasing/shimmering. PS4 Pro will also have this capability. But that doesn't mean the base PS4 will look awful or anything. I've tried it and thought it looked entirely acceptable(in comparison to Rift/Vive).

That said, if you've never tried VR before, then you should be warned that perceived resolution is quite low in VR at the moment. Think more like a 480p image.

Also worth noting that the optics in the PSVR are very good and play a significant role in helping the image quality. Screen door effect(being able to see the pixels and the gaps between them) exists, but was no worse than on the Rift. This obviously isn't affected by what is powering the device, so there's definitely going to be a good quality experience even with the base PS4.

Last thing I'll say is that the base PS4 will be doing 60fps -> 120fps reprojection in a lot of games(particularly any graphically impressive ones). This works quite good, but is not perfect. It can cause certain artifacts in motion but from what I've seen and from impressions from others, it's entirely acceptable. PS4 Pro potentially has the capability to run these games at a native 90fps instead of 60fps reprojected, which *will* look and feel a bit better, but I would guess most titles use the extra power for pushing higher resolution rather than trying to push 60fps to 90fps(or 90fps to 120fps).

Soldato
sorry I meant worrying to the youtube video I linked. I thought the screen resolution was really good actually, as going higher would require even more horsepower.

I think I'll keep my VR pre-order to be honest.

Soldato
Push Square have let some info out early.

Apparently the Processing Unit does not support HDR pass-through!

Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.
However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
I talked myself out of this at the time of pre-orders, its crucial that Sony get this in the hands (or the eyes) of gamers on the street, via Game, or CEX or whatever....

Roadshows (as seen advertised on Facebook) in Manchester and Sheffield are not good enough

They need to convince me to buy, and I want the convenience to try this in a town centre (in this case Leeds) rather than go out of my way to a roadshow

Back
Top Bottom