PlayStation VR / VR2

Associate
I thought I would have grabbed one by now and have had plenty chances, but think I'm getting a bit sensible with my money these days as I also haven't been tempted by the Pro.

I know I would enjoy it but think I am going to hold off until I can get a headset and camera bundle for less than £300 might be waiting a while.

I bought the PS4 Pro on launch day and even though I love it (I have a 4K tv) it's not really necessary imo

Not noticing a lot of difference from my old ps4 tbh but maybe side by side I would :D

Soldato
Hmm, not sure what I think after my first afternoon of PSVR. Although it feels pretty easy to wear and I haven't suffered any major motion sickness (just a touch after about an hour or Scavengers Oddysee) I'm finding the general low res pixelated mushiness extremely distracting. Resi 7 arrives tomorrow which I'm hoping will be fun, but at the moment having played through a few bits of VR Worlds and a couple of hours each of Robinson and EVE I'm struggling to get immersed as I can't make out anything in the middle-to-far distance! And I'm not normally that fussed about cutting edge graphics.

Soldato
Hmm, not sure what I think after my first afternoon of PSVR. Although it feels pretty easy to wear and I haven't suffered any major motion sickness (just a touch after about an hour or Scavengers Oddysee) I'm finding the general low res pixelated mushiness extremely distracting. Resi 7 arrives tomorrow which I'm hoping will be fun, but at the moment having played through a few bits of VR Worlds and a couple of hours each of Robinson and EVE I'm struggling to get immersed as I can't make out anything in the middle-to-far distance! And I'm not normally that fussed about cutting edge graphics.

It varies massively from game to game. Nothing in VR worlds impressed me - other than the Heist bar scene - and Eve and Rigs didn't either. I also didn't rate the Star Wars demo, beyond the epic opening credit scene and the first part when you get to look around the X-Wing, due to blur-o-vision. Headmaster, however, has eaten many hours between me and friends and both looks and plays great. Same with Rush of Blood and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I think visually, dark scenes with close environments tend to look good. RE7, Rush of Blood and Batman etc. Simplistic, stylised graphics work well too - Headmaster, Rez, Job Simulator, Playroom. In fact the best thing I've seen graphically, by some margin, is the monster chase mini game in Playroom. I've bought another 10 or so games on top of these - spent way too much on PSVR! - but feel like I have enough experience to know what's going work well from looking at screenshots now. For my tastes, at least.

PSVR is very much generation 1 and limited by the hardware, but it can still be great with the right visual style. I'd much rather play RE7 in PSVR than on a 77" 20K OLED, for example :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Funnily enough I've liked the graphics on Robinson most when it switches to the top down view for the energy puzzles and most of an area is then in the 'sweet spot' visually. Someone needs to start making VR strategy games!

I'll give Resi a good blast and then pick up Batman if I enjoy that.

Last edited:
Associate
God I feel old, its back in stock at Argos in Aberdeen and I have been sitting here trying to decide whether to grab it or order that Thule roof bars and roof box I keep telling myself I need..... whats happened to me.

Soldato
God I feel old, its back in stock at Argos in Aberdeen and I have been sitting here trying to decide whether to grab it or order that Thule roof bars and roof box I keep telling myself I need..... whats happened to me.

Get it. If you don't like it sell it for what you paid! Perfect time to try it out!

Soldato
I had the same prob, this or a new bass,? but as I already have 4 guitars, I bit the bullet and went for it.
Initial thoughts are pretty impressed, the shark cage thing was great as was London heist.
Playing R7 now, but I find it makes me slightly sick if I turn to fast, so I'm taking my time and hopefully I will become acclimatized to it.
Definitely worth it though:)
by the way SHOPTO, have some in stock, so I might have made your life a bit tougher again?:)

Caporegime
I had the same prob, this or a new bass,? but as I already have 4 guitars, I bit the bullet and went for it.
Initial thoughts are pretty impressed, the shark cage thing was great as was London heist.
Playing R7 now, but I find it makes me slightly sick if I turn to fast, so I'm taking my time and hopefully I will become acclimatized to it.
Definitely worth it though:)
by the way SHOPTO, have some in stock, so I might have made your life a bit tougher again?:)

Did you stick with the 'turn in 30° increment' and move speed 'very slowly' default control scheme?

Soldato
Very true. It's not for everyone and it is very much a generation 1 product. That said - it's the most fun I've had gaming in recent times. Suck it and see :D

It's totally gen 1 and took me a while to lower my expectation visually. I compare it to the wii, the gameplay makes up for the shortfall in graphical fidelity.

RE7 is a showcase for it right now. It's the best game I've played on it and I'm more in awe instead of being scared most of the time. I feel like James woods in family guy "ooh piece of candy!".

Also had a bit of a revelation with the controls on RE7. Turn of FOV filter and also put it to smooth turning and 10 speed. The lower speeds makes me feel motion sickness but the highest doesn't. Before that I was using increments.

Soldato
I've been curious about PS VR since before it was released and have been lurking this thread for quite a while now. The problem is reading about VR and watching game footage just isn't giving me an idea of what its like or how well i will take to it.

Is there anywhere around London where I can give PS VR a go? A quick google isnt giving me anything

Soldato
I've been curious about PS VR since before it was released and have been lurking this thread for quite a while now. The problem is reading about VR and watching game footage just isn't giving me an idea of what its like or how well i will take to it.

Is there anywhere around London where I can give PS VR a go? A quick google isnt giving me anything

I think you might struggle to find anywhere for a demo. They are slowly coming back into stock, you can always return it if you don't like it.

Very hard to describe what it's like as it's an experience like no other. Basically imagine wearing a crash helmet and looking at ps3 graphics through a very light mist. That's the best I can come up with :p

You do feel like you are in the game (kind of), there is light coming in from below as the headset is designed that way so you can look down if you feel a little sick. The depth and 3d effect is amazing, you really do think you can reach out and touch things.

It's good, but it's absolutely a gen1 product though. Unfortunately the games are quite short, but in all honestly I personally wouldn't want to spend more than 30mins in VR.

Put it this way, lighting and smoking a cigar whilst sat in a London pub is pure gold!

Last edited:
Soldato
looking forward to this too, played dcs world on the psvr and it was really good.

The promo video shows an F-104 starfighter as a newcomer to the series :D I believe it's pilotable! Cant wait to see what other jets we can get our hands on. Hopefully some more gems from the Cold War era !

Back
Top Bottom