PlayStation VR / VR2

Soldato
Bought a second hand VR kit and a few games off ebay during the first lockdown here. Never played VR before and was hugely impressed, for a while at least.
Played through Blood and Truth twice and absolutely loved it. Other than that though I am struggling for something that captures my attention. Have Swordsmen, Beat Sabre, Farpoint (liked it and got as far as the giant spider but it gives me motion sickness), Rogue Squadron, Arizona Sunshine (dull), Crisis VR (ok). Also have RE7 and Firewall Zero but not tried them yet.

Any must haves that I might have missed? Anything else play like Blood and Truth?

Edit - have both the move controllers and an aim controller gun.

My fave VR games that don't include ones you've listed:

Headmaster. Super simple (you just use your head) fun gameplay. By far my most played Sony VR game. Everyone that comes round gets it, enjoys it and there's plenty of content in single.
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. My fave shooter on Sony VR (being a sucker for horror settings). Wish it was longer with more paths. Who doesn't want to shoot clowns?!
Rez: One of my fave games fullstop and worth buying either way. Being inside Rez was something my inner child never dreamed of!
Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality. If you like Rick and Morty that is. If you do (I do!), you will love this. If you don't, don't bother.

I could name another bnunch that I enjoyed, but these stand out.

Soldato
Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are both fantastic and super easy for anyone to pick up and don't tend to cause nausea so great if you have friends over. Headmaster is in the same category as mentioned above.

Statik is also great if you love puzzle games.

Soldato
Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are both fantastic and super easy for anyone to pick up and don't tend to cause nausea so great if you have friends over. Headmaster is in the same category as mentioned above.

Statik is also great if you love puzzle games.

Nice - i'll check out Pistol Whip and Statik. I'm a big Beat Saber fan!

Re. PSVR ver.2 on the PS5 - i'm pretty hyped about that now. My main gripe with current PSVR vs. PC headsets is the resolution. Close up, objects look brilliant. And dark scenes in a game. As soon as you get some draw distance tho, especially if well lit, it becomes pixelated and messy. RE7 shows the best/worst of both. Looking at maggots up close, squirming in the dinner pot, convinced me that nothing can touch VR in terms of immersion, while walking through the open wooded bits looks totally rough! We should be able to experience all of this stuff again, plus all the new games ofc, with a decent res and framerate - which is arguably worth entrance price alone. My other gripe was shoehorning in move controllers, which should also be addressed in the next revision. So bring it on!

Soldato
My fave VR games that don't include ones you've listed:

Headmaster. Super simple (you just use your head) fun gameplay. By far my most played Sony VR game. Everyone that comes round gets it, enjoys it and there's plenty of content in single.
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. My fave shooter on Sony VR (being a sucker for horror settings). Wish it was longer with more paths. Who doesn't want to shoot clowns?!
Rez: One of my fave games fullstop and worth buying either way. Being inside Rez was something my inner child never dreamed of!
Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality. If you like Rick and Morty that is. If you do (I do!), you will love this. If you don't, don't bother.

I could name another bnunch that I enjoyed, but these stand out.
What's so good about Rez?

I bought Rez infinite ages ago, played a couple of levels in VR and deleted it thinking, meh, I'm just holding x and moving a cursor about.

I've reinstalled it because of your post so you need to tell me what I'm doing wrong. :)

Associate
Headmaster is great.

Windlands is great fun.

Polybius, Moose Life and Minator Arcade are Llamasoft must have games.

Out of the AAA's Borderlands 2 and Skyrim VR are fantastic.

Special mention to No Man's Sky as it's also fantastic on psvr.

Soldato
Doom VFR is a great shooter amd Doom 3 VR is out at end of the month.

I presume Doom 3 VR will be digital only? Did they give any indication of pricing?

Should be great fun with the Aim controller. I think the slower pace and more survival horror style of Doom 3 will work better in VR than the latest version so pretty keen to try it.

Soldato
What's so good about Rez?

I bought Rez infinite ages ago, played a couple of levels in VR and deleted it thinking, meh, I'm just holding x and moving a cursor about.

I've reinstalled it because of your post so you need to tell me what I'm doing wrong. :)

It can be reduced to that for sure and Rez is a simple game. Nostalgia certainly plays a part too. When it came out in the early 2000s my young mind was blown! For me, tho, it's an experience game. Sit close to the tv, turn the sound up loud, turn off the lights and get in a trance. There's an element of score chasing too. Play through it once to see the sites and get a feel for how to play and how the mechanics work. Then try and do it well. That's when the trance comes in - you'll find yourselft moving with the beat, smoothly clearing stages and totally in the zone. I'm not sure whether VR is the best way to play it or not - it's certainly an experience - and might choose to play it on a TV if the setup/audio is good. Either way, loud and in the dark!

Associate
Rez is certainly easier to complete in VR as it eases precision with your head movements. I found a great way of getter better at the game by viewing the top score replays feature of the some of the best players in the world on Rez HD the xbox360 which is a superb version of the game.
The sounds and fantastic music really does get your head nodding :)
A game best played with a decent set of cans.

Soldato
They look pretty cool. At least the controllars and tracking of PSVR2 will now be on a par with other VR systems as the old Move Controllers and camera really held back the original PSVR.

Also, it looks like Doom 3 VR is getting a physical release next month for around £15 so that's cool.

Back
Top Bottom