PlayStation VR / VR2

Soldato
It's not that, it's that many games were designed to use the PS4 controller and it's lightbar for player input

I’m sure that the ps5 headset and controllers could be programmed to emulate the lightbar tracking using software via the headset cameras and gyroscope functionality in order to provide backwards compatibility though?

Soldato
Sounds like a lot of work

Maybe, but I'm sure it was a lot of work for Sony to get PS4 titles running on PS5 and they did that so you never know. Fingers crossed!

It would certainly help to encourage adoption of a new PSVR2 headset as there are a lot of decent PSVR games and it can run PS4 stuff already anyway.

Associate
It would definitely suck not being able to play any psvr games on psvr 2. I suspect at least a lot of the multi platform games like beat saber, pistol whip etc. would be pretty easily ported since those are already available on pcvr headsets with very similar controllers. Only games like Resi 7 and Astro bot should be a bigger problem I feel like, maybe they could be worked on a case by case basis

Associate
I would expect Sony to looking at having some recent games like Astrobot ready to go on Day 1, as it was a showcase game and they need to have a decent number of title available to generate interest. I wouldn't be surprised if Astrobot got an upgrade to support haptics too.

Associate
I would expect Sony to looking at having some recent games like Astrobot ready to go on Day 1, as it was a showcase game and they need to have a decent number of title available to generate interest. I wouldn't be surprised if Astrobot got an upgrade to support haptics too.
Astro is one of those that relies so much on the camera and lightbar on the dualshock 4, but I desperately hope that it's one that's playable on psvr 2!

Man of Honour
Is it definite that VR2 won't be backward compatible or are you all just guessing?
If so I won't bother with it because the PS5 and VR1 are the first games machine I've bought since the Mattel Intellivision and I can get all my VR games very cheap from CEX & Music Magpie :)

Soldato
Speaking of compatibility it would be cool if psvr2 could be connected to a pc. It has a usb c connection so maybe it could be done though I doubt Sony would ever support it officially.

Back
Top Bottom