Please Advise On My Spec? Superwide 1440 Gaming? for £2500

Associate
Hi All,

After being away on an iMac 27inch for ages I have decided to go back to Windows. I use my machine for all sorts including gaming and video (Handbrake) encoding etc. I am not however a high end FPS player. My stable games are World Of Warcraft, Diablo 3, XCom 2, Starcraft 2, numerous other 3D games like Doom Eternal and shooters like Wolfenstein 2.

I would like to move to Superwide and expect to game at Ultra-High settings at 3440x1440.

I am not bothered about AMD vs Intel, have no preference, but I have had bad experiences with Radeon cards so want to have Nvidia.

I also want the following:

1) SSD and HDD Raid 1 (Mirror) reliability so I have doubled up my drives.
2) Very quiet operation.
3) Very nice cooling.
4) Nice RGB options.
5) I live in Milton Keynes so Gigabyte products have an advantage for RMA ;)

Budget is £2500'ish plus whatever OC charge to build it for me and Windows 10. I don't need Keyboard and Mouse nor any additional drives as I have a lot of external USB 3.0 drives and local NAS.

I am not sure which of the screens below is ideal.

Is there anything that would be better changed and/or altered in the below?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £3,301.34 (includes shipping: £23.10)​

Soldato
@Jenz

should be rather close to @GIGA-Man then who's Gigabytes handy rep on here haha

X470 5 is a nice board, not exactly like the Ultra which most sites state but wifi is ACE if you have BT or Virgins latest AC wifi units !

will try and get your basket down for you now :D

IlruKDu.jpg

rtx 2080 ( Zotac not GIgabyte as none in stock- worth looking aorund though as gigabyte is 3/4 yr UK RMA, i think zotac still does 3 years UK and 2 yrs hong kong )

Total: £2,539.35 (includes shipping: £22.50)

manually overclock the ryzen 2700 to 4ghz all cores! 2700x all core boost is 3.8ghz so getting all cores the same is key for Handbrake etc

and squeezing i9 9900k which clocked at 5ghz all cores on the Z390 Gigabyte should smash through anything!

Total: £2,554.27 (includes shipping: £22.50)
again, 2 yr warranty GPU so if you can push Gigabyte GPU, go for it

last one, vega 64 and freesync to keep coss down, aorus wifi z390 and 9900k for max encoding performance

ODE
Total: £2,183.31 (includes shipping: £22.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, those are some excellent options. Am I missing a trick then with getting a better case? The case should be reasonably sized to fit on the edge of my desk (not under it) and ideally have good RGB inside. I'd considered a prebuilt OC water-cooled one but didn't seem to make it would cost wise.

Those two options above miss my Raid 1 on my M.2 drives or SSD for Operating systems? and I was liking the AIO RGB's :) but I am suspecting that the BeQuiet will be a lot quieter?

Soldato
digital is out of stock , which is a shame, very popular. and one of the cheapest case to have USB C Port at the front, handy for X470/Z390 aorus boards

Total: £264.68 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Digital RGB CLC that can be controlled via board software, so no need for 3rd party apps

Total: £270.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Bequiet/Alphacool AIO/ Air cooler will be a lot more quieter !

fit on the best you say....

BB CODE
Total: £2,704.32 (includes shipping: £22.50)

to be honest, Raid 1 on NVMe... built for performance so most Use Raid 0- better going larger Sata 3 SSD and Raid 1 them.

as for HDD - most people now use NAS as its just the better option. can pick up 2TB NAS for £250 odd

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-m...storage-4tb-wdbvbz0040jch-eesn-hd-523-wd.html

I was pushing GPU power for that ultra wide. Ryzen system could fit RAID system in, or dropping to RTX 2070 and 32" 1440p non Wide screen would get them in budget :)

Associate
OP
Wonderful thank you. Finally if there wasn't a constraint on the Screen ie maybe staying at 2560x1440 and not going wide would that make a difference to say 2080 TI?

Soldato
Wonderful thank you. Finally if there wasn't a constraint on the Screen ie maybe staying at 2560x1440 and not going wide would that make a difference to say 2080 TI?

would be able to drive higher frames ! Games like DOOM which is fast paced or Overwatch/counter strike also great to play with high hz/fps monitors/gpus

the KEY is finding IF games ou play support ultra WIDE 1440p, a lot dont from the start, standard 1440p always is

Associate
Thanks for this as well, considering a similar basket although i7@5GHz including the AOC monitor with the same 2070.

Wondering if I should avoid Ultra Wide now. Or drop the CPU to an i5 @5Ghz so I can stretch to a 2080. £700+ on a GPU makes me whince

Soldato
Thanks for this as well, considering a similar basket although i7@5GHz including the AOC monitor with the same 2070.

Wondering if I should avoid Ultra Wide now. Or drop the CPU to an i5 @5Ghz so I can stretch to a 2080. £700+ on a GPU makes me whince

Keep i7 , 8 cores will last longer then the i5 six

I keep looking at the OC water cooled pre-builds and think I’d love one of those but how come there are no Ryzen ones?

Just call them Up and ask , end of the day they want your custom and cash :)

Associate
OP
I've asked for a quote on both a Germanium and a Scimitor with water cooling as I continue my decision making :D both with 2070's or 2080's. Must say the price performance now of RTX's with the 2060 in the mix has me going back and forth :confused:

Associate
OP
So I am still looking and still trying to decide. I now know I def need two M2's. I'd also like to try and keep it small. So my basket currently looks like this:

Total: £2,054.41 (includes shipping: £14.70)

I will decide on a 34inch Ultrawide from the two I started with I suspect. 2 M2's are a requirement so I can run 2 OS's independently. Am I missing something? Will this work within the case/power supply etc. I went Vega64 because I think the RTX pricing is horrendous at the moment. My gaming is purely Blizzard stuff so WOW, Diablo mainly and RTS like Starcraft 2 and XCom 2 not ultrafast FPS.

Thanks in advance, Neil.

Soldato
Itx format , I've got that phanteks mATX case and it's the size of standard ATX cases ! Can take 40mm rad up top so increases the height

Total: £1,896.47 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Neo G itx case £70 , only case that can take 2.5/3 slot cards in itx format

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/metallicgear-neo-g-mini-review/1/

mATX format

Total: £1,982.23 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Sapphire card is 14+1 phase set up, 1 hi and 1 low MOSFET design, Gigabyte is 12+1 , 1 hi and 2 low design

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks so much Orbital. Forgive my ignorance but do those numbers mean the Gigabyte is a “better built/designed” board than the Sapphire? I picked Sapphire because I heard it was quiet under load.

I like the look of the Phanteks case so other than it being large are there other reasons not to use it?

Soldato
I'd also like to try and keep it small.

I will decide on a 34inch Ultrawide from the two I started with I suspect. 2 M2's are a requirement so I can run 2 OS's independently. Am I missing something? Will this work within the case/power supply etc. I went Vega64 because I think the RTX pricing is horrendous at the moment. My gaming is purely Blizzard stuff so WOW, Diablo mainly and RTS like Starcraft 2 and XCom 2 not ultrafast FPS.
That case is fully mid tower ATX sized, but still unable to fit ATX motherboard.
So can only call it as space wasting bloated fashion garbage design.

Going to be some work in getting 100% guaranteed independently installed OSes on M.2 drives
Because unlike in case of 2.5" drives we can't simply pull out the cable from other drives and have to first attach only one M.2 drive and install OS to it...
Before removing that drive and adding other drive for installing its OS.
MiniITX motherboard would make it even harder by having space for other M.2 slot only in backside of mobo.

This Antec would be little cheaper even at normal price than Corsair's discount price:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antec-hcg-gold-750w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24x-an.html

With Vega you'll want Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync monitor.
Anyway with Nvidia finally removing that artificial from the start disable Adaptive-Sync bit from drivers, there's zero reason to buy G-Sync only monitor.
Which would be only ball and chaining yourself as Nvidia's slave.

And just like with Nvidia pricing policy can't call Intels that good with their pricing.
8 cores shouldn't be some luxury model, especially without hyperthreading.
Thanks to extra threads 2700X pretty much matches it in video encoding despite of notably lower clocks.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_9700K/6.html
And AMD gives proper upgrade path with major improvements in pipeline for summer.
In CES AMD demoed eight core Zen2 engineering sample matching 9900K's performance at ~50W lower power consumption.
And that 8c/16t Zen2 Ryzen is likely half the price of that 9700K... with 12c/24t model for hundred more.
400+ pricing could well get 16c/32t models if AMD really wants to push it into Intel's face and shops don't gouge.

Soldato
Thanks so much Orbital. Forgive my ignorance but do those numbers mean the Gigabyte is a “better built/designed” board than the Sapphire? I picked Sapphire because I heard it was quiet under load.

I like the look of the Phanteks case so other than it being large are there other reasons not to use it?

Rule of thumb is more phases, better delivery of power and heat . But then you run the issues of, using ''more and cheaper parts" or "less and expensive parts " .

Sapphire uses more phases but gigabytes implementation is better .

Man of Honour
drop your requirement for rgb bling bling, dual drives and aio cooling and get an rtx2080/radeon7 instead.
high refresh rate 1440p ultrawide gaming isn't an rtx2070/vega56's strongest point.

Soldato

Rule of thumb is more phases, better delivery of power and heat . But then you run the issues of, using ''more and cheaper parts" or "less and expensive parts " .

Sapphire uses more phases but gigabytes implementation is better .

Not according to what I've seen. It's the Sapphire that uses the better parts while the Gigabyte needs to use two cheaper low-side mosfets for example. See my post here.

Soldato
Not according to what I've seen. It's the Sapphire that uses the better parts while the Gigabyte needs to use two cheaper low-side mosfets for example. See my post here.

Nice post. Only way to test VRM design is running them naked , and seeing their temps and at what point they fail. Expensive ! And not your average tester

Sapphire should have the lead above MSI/gigabyte and Asus. Don't pay as much per chip but downside is they only do amd cards

Soldato
Nice post.

Cheers.

Only way to test VRM design is running them naked , and seeing their temps and at what point they fail. Expensive ! And not your average tester

Ultimately yes. All us average Joes can do is spot the component. That said, what originally made me curious about the Sapphire v Gigabyte Vega 64 thing, was the feedback on these forums I'd seen, where some who returned a Gigabyte and got a Sapphire instead were more pleased with the latter. And it got me looking into it. I can see why you got confused for a while about the Sapphire having half the phases of the Gigabyte instead of actually one more. The review was poorly worded in parts.

Sapphire should have the lead above MSI/gigabyte and Asus. Don't pay as much per chip but downside is they only do amd cards

I'll just go grab my cheque from Sapphire, now I've recruited The Orb. ;)

Anyway, yup Sapphire tops if cost not much more than the Gigabyte, and no space issues depth-wise or vertically.

Back
Top Bottom