Please Advise On My Spec? Superwide 1440 Gaming? for £2500

Associate
OP
May I ask why it will be hard to run two separate Os's? I thought I could use the BIOS to boot between the two. I do not require each OS to access all drives.

So for example:
Windows 10 OS on NVME 1 with access to SSD 1

then
OS2 on NVME 2 with access to SSD 2?

Just flip them on and off in the bios as I use them. Appreciate not great from a ease of use but I need two segregated OS's for my work.

Soldato
I run two drives each with different OS (both windows 10 but for different things ) .
Because it's windows though can access both through the other :D but they don't have separate drives attached to each other so couldn't comment on that .

When setting up though, just have nvme , install and then add SSD .

Remove and repeat again with new set of drives (different ports ) . Then connect all up and see :)

Associate
OP
Man of Honour
not that great value tbh. can get a 9900k and radeon7 for that sort of money, and better ssds.
corsair mp510 480gb has a write endurance of 800TB, vs 150TB of the 250gb sammy 970 evo.
also can get windows for much cheaper. but i've added it to the build spec for equivalence. as below:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,293.84 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Soldato
Drop to a 9700k and might get you in budget, though would change the case for that Vega 7 with something that is designed like a wind tunnel ! Card is just loud and hot, have to spend time on it like other Vega to drop temps and sound a bit.
But good performance

Though don't do any workloads off that Vega 7 for 24/7 use !!! My days your electronic bill will be high

Associate
OP
Limited to Vega 64 due to my work. So RTX or Radeon 7 is a no go as I said above. Therefore I felt the 9900 wasn’t worth the extra cost or heat?

Associate
OP
that specific?

radeon7 is basically a 7nm die-shrunk vega (in simplest terms) with 16gb vram.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vii.c3358
Unfortunately so. My Company insists on BYOD machines being no more than AMD Vega 64 so not able to run Radeon 7. If they do eventually certify then I'll swap out for one. Not worth the risk to have problems. No idea why they have that but is what it is.

@tamzzy can the 9900 be air cooled with that cooler quietly compared to the Corsair 115 AIO?

Any reason why going for the more expensive Corsair RAM as opposed to the Night Hawk?

Last edited:
Soldato
May I ask why it will be hard to run two separate Os's?
Running isn't any problem.
It's getting them installed so that boot loaders etc of OSes are on their separate drives.
Especially MS OSes can't be trusted to install all their stuff to drive you select, unless that's the only drive connected to PC at the moment of install process.

not that great value tbh. can get a 9900k
With how badly they're going to stay as high end compared to AMD's speed of advance can't consider any Intel to be great value.
Especially when they cost lot more than those £300 Intels of early decade which stayed many years as high end.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately so. My Company insists on BYOD machines being no more than AMD Vega 64 so not able to run Radeon 7. If they do eventually certify then I'll swap out for one. Not worth the risk to have problems. No idea why they have that but is what it is.
ouch, that sucks.
@tamzzy can the 9900 be air cooled with that cooler quietly compared to the Corsair 115 AIO?
yes.
Any reason why going for the more expensive Corsair RAM as opposed to the Night Hawk?
with a beast of a cooler like the DR4pro, you'll need to have low profile ram, night hawk isn't one of those.

With how badly they're going to stay as high end compared to AMD's speed of advance can't consider any Intel to be great value.
Especially when they cost lot more than those £300 Intels of early decade which stayed many years as high end.
i agree.
tbh, i think the smart money at this point in time, would be to wait if you don't have to buy right this moment.
intel is overpriced.
ryzen 2000 is nearly EOL.
ryzen 3000 is nearly out, so by buying ryzen 2000, that's a lost investment.

Soldato
@tamzzy

is the part of it matches a 14nm Vega chip for power draw being 7nm , Also my belief that Ryzen 3000 wont be as watt/tdp friendly as it could be . Ryzen 4000 should be the icing on the cake!

indeed it runs at slightly higher clock speed but damn. they need to get Navi out the blocks !

@Jenz

the dark rock 4 pro has a slightly redesigned sink then version before it . you can fit

40mm tall with fan in default, if moved higher 44mm will fit under the heatsink which covers the first dimm slot

8842_25_quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-cpu-cooler-review.jpg

Associate
OP
So better to go Dark Rock 4 and save some cash or maybe put towards 9900 rather than 9700 @orbitalwalsh ? And get the shorter Corsair RAM?

Would it be sensible to upgrade the Fans in the Evolve X or add more?

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Could save £60 on the case and get the Phanteks P600S instead. If temps are good, you can have the closed front panel. If they aren't, you can open it for airflow. Even though the Evolv X Digital is more expensive, I prefer the P600S. That might help with your thoughts about 9900K v 9700K as well.

Total: £555.46 (includes shipping: £22.50)​

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the case suggestions. I am still deliberating this most of all between the numerous sizes and even back to the original mATX Evolv.

Associate
With the Evolv X just be careful as I've heard that it doesn't get good air flow. A similar looking case with a mesh front is the Bitfenix Enso Mesh.

Total: £96.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

The Evolv X is a fine case and isn’t plagued with the airflow issues of the original Evolv case. You can do some amazing RGB implementation.

https://builds.gg/builds/homage-to-asus-corsair-and-phanteks-10997

Back
Top Bottom