Please can someone help me on best way to upgrade? :)

Associate
Hi Everyone!

I hope you guys can help me a little, I would appreciate some advise :)

I have an old gaming PC and i have managed to find (all being well) about £400 to update it.

My current PC is

I5 3570
Asus Motherboard
16GB Ram (DDR3)
GTX 1050ti Asus Strix
500w PSU
SSD drive.
Cooler master air cooler

I want to upgrade the CPU but understand I would need to upgrade the Motherboard and the RAM to DDR4 too, this is why I have not been able to upgrade till now as its expensive!

I realy dont know what is best to get, I may upgrade my graphics card in a year or 2. Was thinking of the I5 8400 but not sure what RAM and Motherboard to get with it or even if that is all possible with that budget?

Any advise I would really appreciate :)

Thanks very much!
Matt

Permabanned
Associate
OP
Hi,

I would choose these for you:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £421.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Modern CPU, motherboard and memory, you can keep your GPU, PSU and case.

Thanks so much for that that's great!

Soldato
Thanks so much for that that's great!

would wait personally, see how 8 core intel effects prices. technically you wouldn't see to much or any gains gaming wise, would rather sink case into 1060gtx for higher frame rate or better quality graphics

do you have an ssd? if not ... might be worth a think due to 240gb ssd that comes with it and UK RMA

Total: £448.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
would wait personally, see how 8 core intel effects prices. technically you wouldn't see to much or any gains gaming wise, would rather sink case into 1060gtx for higher frame rate or better quality graphics

do you have an ssd? if not ... might be worth a think due to 240gb ssd that comes with it and UK RMA

Total: £448.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks buddy!

I am not to critical on it being the very best etc I just want to upgrade it while I have the cash and the 2nd post seemed to have what I needed if I can raise enough cash lol

Soldato
Thanks buddy!

I am not to critical on it being the very best etc I just want to upgrade it while I have the cash and the 2nd post seemed to have what I needed if I can raise enough cash lol

I don't think you took into account what orbital was saying, going from a 3570, 16GB to a Ryzen 2600 with 8GB is not going to give you any performance increase if you are just playing games, since your graphics card is the thing holding you back. I mean it's your money to waste or do with as you please, but it's a pointless upgrade without a more powerful GPU in the system to start with. :)

Soldato
I don't think you took into account what orbital was saying, going from a 3570, 16GB to a Ryzen 2600 with 8GB is not going to give you any performance increase if you are just playing games, since your graphics card is the thing holding you back. I mean it's your money to waste or do with as you please, but it's a pointless upgrade without a more powerful GPU in the system to start with. :)

helps is i spell cash right in the first place haha

technically you wouldn't see to much or any gains gaming wise, would rather sink case into 1060gtx for higher frame rate or better quality graphics

second hand i7 chip and GTX 1060 and done

Associate
OP

Hiya buddy!

I appreciate you coming back to me

I think it's 16gb of ram (2 x 8gb)...

My method of thinking is that atm my pc is very outdated and the graphics card is the strongest part at present, I would love to put a better graphics card in but would bottleneck on a 3570? So need to have a better cpu to accommodate a better card in the future.?

I can't put a better cpu than I have without changing the motherboard that's why I have been stuck on 3rd gen i5.

So if u upgrade the cpu, mb, and ram now then the graphics card can be upgraded when I have the cash that's my thinking anyway lol

Soldato
Hiya buddy!

I appreciate you coming back to me

I think it's 16gb of ram (2 x 8gb)...

My method of thinking is that atm my pc is very outdated and the graphics card is the strongest part at present, I would love to put a better graphics card in but would bottleneck on a 3570? So need to have a better cpu to accommodate a better card in the future.?

I can't put a better cpu than I have without changing the motherboard that's why I have been stuck on 3rd gen i5.

So if u upgrade the cpu, mb, and ram now then the graphics card can be upgraded when I have the cash that's my thinking anyway lol

So, look at it this way. Spend £400+ now to get an upgrade that will do nothing for you, or spend £400 when you are ready to get a new graphics card at the same time so neither part is causing an issue, you could just about get away with a GTX 1070 on your CPU for not intensive multiplayer online games, like BFV etc. and even then if you are playing on a 22-24" 1080p 60Hz monitor, what's the point? You'd be better off spending £400 on a really nice 27" 1440p Freesync monitor and a Radeon RX580, and have better overall experience.

Soldato
Soldato
if you be happy with used items, there are plenty of H110M boards kicking about from £15 and some ddr4 ram kits kicking about cheap, that or buy a ready made bundle.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much guys I really appreciate all your help!

Getting a bit excited now lol....

So my i5 3570 (not k) will be happy running a rx 580 and get a 1440p monitor and should see an improvement from my 1050ti?

I play mainly ets2 and ats and idoseem to have cpu to spare when playing.

I really didn't think my i5 would be able to run a better card than the 1050ti?

Sorry guys I'm a total noob at all this lol..

Associate
I'd just stick a 1060 in there and maybe look at changing monitor ?
Not sure what you currently have but any decent 1080p monitor should be ok with your budget.

500w PSU ? What make / model... should be ok ?

Associate
I wouldn't spend any money on that pc. Run it into the ground and start saving for a new one.
3570 is still able to play the latest games, yeah it wont keep up when it comes to multi-threaded workloads but gaming is no problem, especially when you start moving to 1440p and 4k.

What make and model is the PSU?

Go with the 580 and new 1440p Freesync monitor, will be great for gaming then. If you want to spend a bit more go with a VEGA 64 and 144hz 1440p Freesync monitor.
I have a 3570k with a mild overclock on it paired with a 1080ti and a 4k monitor and its great.

You could easily wait another 2-3 years before upgrading your core platform.

Associate
OP
My psu is just a cheap £17 one..?

I monitor my stats via afterburner and have my 1050ti over clocked. I notice my cpu runs around the 60 to 70% usage.

Would love a 580 and 1440p monitor have an old 32inch Toshiba TV atm

Associate
Change that out for something around 600w... that is a must, dont want it going pop and taking out other components.

32 inch tv will prob be 1080p @ 50/60hz... if you really want 1440p then the 580 and freesync is way to go !

Back
Top Bottom