Please check this sandybridge spec - upgrading from 939 4200x2 (lol)

Associate
Hi folks please can you give your opinions on this spec. This should be an enormous upgrade as I will be upgrading from:
4200 x2 939 amd
2gb ram
win xp 32 (lol)

I don't require a PSU (have corsair 650) or graphics card (GTX460) or hard drive

thanks in advance for your advice / comments!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Take 8GB.

I'm using the Geil Value 8GB set, it's very very good. Apparently it runs on very low voltages too (though I've not played with it).

In your basket, I see no copy of windows 7... you'll need a 64 bit OS with 4GB of RAM or more.

Soldato
Let us know how you get on when you get the kit. I always wanted to upgrade from a big gap in generations. But it never happens i always see the next best intel/amd and here i go again. But not this time im gonna ignore sandybridge and bulldozer......

Soldato
I can personally vouch for Sandy Bridge. I went from a 775 quad, and the difference is completely huge. I was unlucky enough to have a motherboard which didn't let me clock my quad high though, so that probably added fuel to the upgrade.

Associate
OP
thanks very much for the replies! :)

I already have win 7 64bit ready to install (idn't bother installing it on this 4200 x2 machine though)

also what is the current benchmarking tools you all use? as before i destroy this system I will bench and compare it to the sandybridge - should be nice difference! :D

Soldato
Fritz for cpu / smp performance + search these forums for fritz results to compare against.

cinebench is also a must

Everest for memory benchmark

hdtune/etc for your drives....

Keep us posted btw it would be lovely to see how much of a boost you got.
Finger in the air figures from me ...

cpu - 4.5x
memory - 3x
ssd - 4x

Back
Top Bottom