Please critique my gaming/work build whilst waiting to get a 3070/80

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to build a new rig since my x58 build from 10 years ago is on it's last legs. Main usage will be a combination of work, video editing for YouTube and of course, gaming. I am hunting for either of the ever elusive 3070/80 founders edition cards at msrp. Not fussed which one I get from "competitor x" should the time come, I will buy whichever one that becomes available first. I will be using my trusty 970 as my GPU for the time being

I'd like to spend no more than £1000 on the build excluding GPU costs (£1600 tops eith either 3070 or 3080 FE). Anyways, here's what I've come up with so far

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £984.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Soldato
You may want to consider getting 32gb of ram if you're going to be doing video editing.

Another option is the 11400F which will perform within 10% of the 5600X in productivity and equal in gaming at 1440p or above while only being half the cost.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You may want to consider getting 32gb of ram if you're going to be doing video editing.

Another option is the 11400F which will perform within 10% of the 5600X in productivity and equal in gaming at 1440p or above while only being half the cost.

suggestions on a motherboard? was thinking of maybe rog strix b560 gaming-f

Associate
OP
When you say work usage is that anything cpu intensive such as cad or editing ?

No CAD. Work usage typically involves coding for desktop, android, iOS, running multiple VMs. Other usage includes some video editing and encoding videos for people on YouTube at 1440p and 4k

Was also thinking of going 32gb RAM with the savings from using a i5 11400 instead of the 5600k

Associate
NVME is PCI=E 3, and video editing benefits from fastest bus. I say go Gen 4 for video.
Also as stated 32 gig of RAM is a sweet spot, especially if 4K video editing.
Also for all that encoding, why not a Zen 2?
You could save the money from CPU cooler, and use stock for a short while and put towards RAM.

Total: £678.63 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Associate
OP
NVME is PCI=E 3, and video editing benefits from fastest bus. I say go Gen 4 for video.
Also as stated 32 gig of RAM is a sweet spot, especially if 4K video editing.
Also for all that encoding, why not a Zen 2?
You could save the money from CPU cooler, and use stock for a short while and put towards RAM.

Total: £678.63 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Yeah I was going to say I think this takes me over budget since the idea of going 32gb came from the savings of using the i5 instead, and of course losing 1TB of storage by going gen4. I don't know what's better, non video editing work is what I do 9-5 followed by gaming most evenings, followed by video editing on weekends only. Think I'd be willing to sacrifice Gen 4 for now unless it makes a significant difference. Not sure whats better between the 11400, 5600x or your 3600x recommendation

Associate
OP
3700x 8 core vs 6, 5600X is better for gaming.
Where does the 11400 fit in with all this? I'm not really set on either CPU (whatever fits in with my needs + budget the most) , just curious as to what I lose by "saving" on the CPU. Been doing a bit of research that shows the 11400 is great for gaming, but of course that's not the only thing I'll be using it for. May just stick with 5600x, means I'll have to drop the ram to 16gb, unless I cap myself to a 3070 only for b udget reasons

And I have been looking at prebuilt but, feels like they all have compromises or are overpriced?

Last edited:
Associate
Where does the 11400 fit in with all this? I'm not really set on either CPU (whatever fits in with my needs + budget the most) , just curious as to what I lose by "saving" on the CPU. Been doing a bit of research that shows the 11400 is great for gaming, but of course that's not the only thing I'll be using it for. May just stick with 5600x, means I'll have to drop the ram to 16gb, unless I cap myself to a 3070 only for b udget reasons

And I have been looking at prebuilt but, feels like they all have compromises or are overpriced?

11400 is a 6 core 12 thread part that's cheaper than the 5600X. Similar performance, but 5600X has the edge. I suggested the 8 core, because you edit and 8 cores will beat 6 for that. Gaming the 5600X is one of the best CPU's. But the 5600X is priced high. The 11400F, I believe has no onboard graphics and is not overclockable (much) whereas the 5600X will be overclockable in CPU and memory speeds.

Plus the Z590 boards are over priced, and the B560 intel boards not appeared yet on OCUK.

Pre-built PC's skimp on power supplies and cases, or cheap motherboard hidden under lots of RGB....

Last edited:
Associate
OP
11400 is a 6 core 12 thread part that's cheaper than the 5600X. Similar performance, but 5600X has the edge. I suggested the 8 core, because you edit and 8 cores will beat 6 for that. Gaming the 5600X is one of the best CPU's. But the 5600X is priced high. The 11400F, I believe has no onboard graphics and is not overclockable (much) whereas the 5600X will be overclockable in CPU and memory speeds.

Plus the Z590 boards are over priced, and the B560 intel boards not appeared yet on OCUK.

Pre-built PC's skimp on power supplies and cases, or cheap motherboard hidden under lots of RGB....

Yeah that seems to be what I'm seeing elsewhere. 5600x is better but is it nearly double the price better? Doesn't seem so. Think 8 cores would make more sense for me if I did more editing than I currently do, which is unlikely really.

If I did go with the 11400 I'd be going for the non F model which has integrated graphics which isn't bad at £170. I can get a good B560 elsewhere.

Guess I need to decide then. 5600x with 16gb ram or 11400 with 32gb ram. Regardless of what I choose I'm sure both will be well above the 1366 mobo + x5650 combo I've been using. Decisions decisions

Soldato

The 11400F is actually quite close to a 5600X for productivity tasks like video editing, have a look through these benchmarks, while the 5600X is a bit faster it's not fast enough to justify being twice the price IMO.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/11.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The 11400F is actually quite close to a 5600X for productivity tasks like video editing, have a look through these benchmarks, while the 5600X is a bit faster it's not fast enough to justify being twice the price IMO.

Those numbers aren't far off each other, not £130 worth that's for sure. Think I'll probably go with this then. Hmm, 11400 has no room for OC though. Think I'm making this harder for myself lol

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/11.html

Soldato
While you can't overclock the CPU you can still overclock the memory and max out power limits which pins the boost clock at max.

None of the modern CPUs really overclock much nowadays as they are set to run at maximum right out the box, gone are the days when you could take a 2.6ghz CPU like the x5650 and ramp it up to 4.5ghz. I still miss my old X58 :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
While you can't overclock the CPU you can still overclock the memory and max out power limits which pins the boost clock at max.

None of the modern CPUs really overclock much nowadays as they are set to run at maximum right out the box, gone are the days when you could take a 2.6ghz CPU like the x5650 and ramp it up to 4.5ghz. I still miss my old X58 :D

Yeah I pushed that x5650 hard. Megahalems kept it under 60c in the summer even when pushing it. I think 11400 is what I'm going to go with, will pair it with a gaming strix mobo from elsewhere, 32gb ram and that will keep the build under 1k without GPU.

Soldato
Yeah I pushed that x5650 hard. Megahalems kept it under 60c in the summer even when pushing it. I think 11400 is what I'm going to go with, will pair it with a gaming strix mobo from elsewhere, 32gb ram and that will keep the build under 1k without GPU.
Yeah I wrung the neck of my X5670 and back then when overclocking was like an art form with so many different settings to adjust and tweak and the pain of many days even weeks of stability testing to max out performance but the gains were totally worth it.

Will be a nice upgrade, just need a bit of luck on the FE and your all set. Keep an eye out this week for those as they are due a drop soon.

Associate
OP
Yeah I wrung the neck of my X5670 and back then when overclocking was like an art form with so many different settings to adjust and tweak and the pain of many days even weeks of stability testing to max out performance but the gains were totally worth it.

Will be a nice upgrade, just need a bit of luck on the FE and your all set. Keep an eye out this week for those as they are due a drop soon.

Will definitely keep close to my telegram app for stock alerts.

thanks for the help everyone

Associate
OP
One last question actually. Any thoughts on which B560 motherboard to buy? So far I've had my eye on the ASUS ROG STRIX B560-F GAMING WIFI for £199 or MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI for £122. Main differences I've noticed are the better audio chipset on the Asus board and more M2 slots with heatsink. They're so new there aren't really many reviews out there. Not sure if it's worth waiting to see which boards have better VRMS.

Back
Top Bottom