**** Please enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account ****

Soldato
We don't like change and protection of our accounts, how dare you put our interests first and stop people being scammed on MM without asking if we'd like to be ripped off first, this is an outrage of the highest order. We shall show our protest by obeying your draconian decision just so we can complain as that's what we do best.
its beginning to sound like brexit with the veneer of voter support, with a hint of irony, on some MM pricing. I must take my cold bath which is good for me

Commissario
OP
So the email confirmation is broken.

I literally can’t use my own email address

It’s not broken.
It won’t have changed by itself. Seriously, email addresses in a database don’t just randomly change. We had a situation recently where we asked someone to confirm their email address to us and they absolutely, definitely 100% said it wasn’t @live.com (or whatever) but when we finally sorted it out, they remembered they did have an @live.com address many, many years ago.

But let’s get this sorted out for you.

If you’re not able to change it yourself, start a thread in FCD and we can do it for you.

Soldato
It won’t have changed by itself. Seriously, email addresses in a database don’t just randomly change. We had a situation recently where we asked someone to confirm their email address to us and they absolutely, definitely 100% said it wasn’t @live.com (or whatever) but when we finally sorted it out, they remembered they did have an @live.com address many, many years ago.

But let’s get this sorted out for you.

If you’re not able to change it yourself, start a thread in FCD and we can do it for you.

I’ve got hotmail.com
hotmail.co.uk
gmail
And outlook email addresses

I’ve had 3 of them 10 years + and my Hotmail 20 years…. I’ve no clue what Wandadoo.co.uk even is.

whenever I’ve forgotten my forum password I just resend to my known email. That isn’t it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
No were not doing something different or clearing cookies. We get booted out often and having to log back in and then do 2FA is annoying. I am on 3 times today as is.

Well, you clearly are doing something different to some of us. I'm logged in on two devices (desktop and phone) and haven't been randomly logged out.

I'm the furthest from computer illiterate (I'm an IT analyst) but this is annoying and feels unnecessary, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Where's the annoyance? It takes seconds to set up and even fewer seconds, once a month, to log in with it.

Commissario
I’ve got hotmail.com
hotmail.co.uk
gmail
And outlook email addresses

I’ve had 3 of them 10 years + and my Hotmail 20 years…. I’ve no clue what Wandadoo.co.uk even is.

whenever I’ve forgotten my forum password I just resend to my known email. That isn’t it.
Wanadadoo IIRC was the second name of one of the early ISP's here, I think it was one that started out a free dial up ISP or something and was shut down or taken over about 15 years ago.
At one point I think it was on our banned email address list because they allowed non members to sign up to use them.

Soldato
Wanadadoo IIRC was the second name of one of the early ISP's here, I think it was one that started out a free dial up ISP or something and was shut down or taken over about 15 years ago.
At one point I think it was on our banned email address list because they allowed non members to sign up to use them.

My memory is vague (and they were my ISP once), but they bought out Freeserve if I remember correctly. They’re French, I remember that much.

Man of Honour
It's quite shocking how many computer illiterate people are on an enthusiasts computer forum in all honesty :cry:

It's not shocking to me at all that there are people who aren't exactly ecstatic to have their experience complicated, however slight it might appear to be to many of us.

Something that's come up time and time again with change related frustration in this place is that many of the members here consider this to be their Internet home, something I put down at least in part due to it being one of the last bastions of the internet's community feel before the social media era and the complications that has brought. With that in mind, I think it's easy to see why people might feel less than happy with changes like this, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere and it completely blocks their access. Most of the time this sort of frustration can be avoided - or at least limited - by displays of empathy from the mod team and proper communication of the intended action ahead of time.

Associate
While I'm all for increasing security of accounts and keeping personal details safe, this feels rushed and heavy handed.

Yes its a pain and I'm sure some will leave as a result but no doubt we'll get used it.

I can't help but feel that the mods could have handled this better though. At the very least consulting the community beforehand and allowing users to check things like email addresses before they found themselves locked out of their accounts. There is a distinct lack of empathy being displayed towards the community so no wonder some are getting wound up.

/Salsa

Soldato
While I'm all for increasing security of accounts and keeping personal details safe, this feels rushed and heavy handed.

Yes its a pain and I'm sure some will leave as a result but no doubt we'll get used it.

I can't help but feel that the mods could have handled this better though. At the very least consulting the community beforehand and allowing users to check things like email addresses before they found themselves locked out of their accounts. There is a distinct lack of empathy being displayed towards the community so no wonder some are getting wound up.

/Salsa

Nail on head, why couldn't just be 2fa on changing anything on the profile only, but to actually get into the place is just stupid.

Where's the annoyance? It takes seconds to set up and even fewer seconds, once a month, to log in with it.

Just to dig out an app once a month and put in a code, yeah I may be a little annoyance, but one day I may feel I can't be arsed and don't bother anymore, the charm of this place is I can zip in by clicking on my bookmark at the top of my browser.

Soldato
If you’re with apple and use the built in password feature and set up 2FA with that you literally just tap in the code box and then tap the Autofill button above the keyboard, no other app, takes seconds to input a 2FA code.

Soldato
If you’re with apple and use the built in password feature and set up 2FA with that you literally just tap in the code box and then tap the Autofill button above the keyboard, no other app, takes seconds to input a 2FA code.
Eh. No it doesn’t.

edit. My bad. Yea it does.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not shocking to me at all that there are people who aren't exactly ecstatic to have their experience complicated, however slight it might appear to be to many of us.

Something that's come up time and time again with change related frustration in this place is that many of the members here consider this to be their Internet home, something I put down at least to it being one of the last bastions of the internet's community feel before the social media era and the complications that had brought. With that in mind, I think it's easy to see why people might feel less than happy with changes like this, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere and it completely blocks their access. Most of the time this sort of frustration can be avoided - or at least limited - by displays of empathy from the mod team and proper communication of the intended action ahead of time.

I agree actually, there should have been some better communication and a little time given before this was implemented. If people were notified of what was going to happen, they could have been informed about making sure their account was up to date and how to set up 2FA in advance.

I think perhaps it's easy for me to think 2FA is a very small addition too. For those who haven't used it before it's possible that it's a little daunting to set up something new like that.

On the other hand I think that admin and mods decided they needed to act fairly quickly to protect the MM which is absolutely fair after what happened. It's just something people need to adjust to. Talking about not coming back because of it is a little silly in all honesty.

Back
Top Bottom