Please forgive my ignorance (Tyre/Innertube question)

Associate
I imagine this is a really silly question to ask but I'm genuinely unsure of the answer, I have a Cube Attain 2018 bike with 2 punctures. The tyres fitted are Continental Ultra Sport 2 25-622 (from the manufacturers' website), is there a specific size of Innertube I need to buy?

Soldato
Some Conti 25mm tyres size up big and are ~27mm wide in the real world, I don't know if that applies to Ultra Sports. If they do, a tube that officially covers up to 28mm would be a safe choice. One that officially covers 25mm could work and will probably be lighter, but you will be stretching the butyl a bit more and be slightly more vulnerable to further punctures.

Can't you fix the punctures on the current tube? The "trick" I often failed at as a kid when fixing punctures as not letting the glue cure for long enough before applying the patch, many give instructions of at least 3mins+ curing time.

There's an extra 10% off at Halfords until midnight tonight on everything except Bromptons, you could even simply use the "click and collect" service to reserve items for pickup and payment at the promo price later this week.

Check the wear of your tyres, you might need a new set, they probably have two dimples as a wear guide. Or simply if you want to make use of the Halfords offer, you could get some much nicer Conti tyres up to and including 28mm variants, such as GP 4 Seasons; the nice GP4000S IIs; or even the new GP5000s.

Soldato
As posted above, 25mm width tube (or maybe 28mm)

The wheel size is called 700c (which is actually 622mm) so tubes will either be marked as 700x25 or 622x25 - these are both different standards of labeling and are both exactly the same size and will fit your bike.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your responses guys, my experiences with my UltraSports are that they puncture (a lot). Only rode on a number of occasions and it's punctured nearly every time, I've seen a deal on the Continental Gatorskin Folding tyre, is this one that many people have had experiences with?

Soldato
Have you checked that there's nothing embedded in the tyre causing the repeated punctures? Some glass or a sharp stone.

When you remove a punctured tube, reinflate it to figure out where the hole is and match it up to the tyre so you can properly examine the area where it punctured to see that there's nothing still in the tyre.

Also, low pressures will cause more punctures. You probably want to be at least 90psi depending on your weight.

Soldato
I have had 2 pairs of UltraSports in the past and they were very good. I can only remember 2 punctures to be honest and both were from whacking massive potholes so nothing to do with the tyre.
A friend of mine is currently running them on a new set of wheels he got. He's ran them all year thus far and rates them highly.

Gatorskins are awful!

If you are set on Conti then the Continental GP4000 S2 or if budget allows go for the new Conti GP5000.
I'm a Vittoria man so would recommend the Open Pave in 25mm (they are now renamed to "Corsa Control" but same tyre essentially).

Vittoria Corsa's are beautiful tyres also. The new 2.0 version has just released and this is a direct competitor to Conti GP5000. I have Corsa's and will use them for faster training rides or longer training rides on nice days. For everything else in the grim weather and day to day I use the Open Pave/Corsa Control. All 25mm.

Associate
instead of Gatorskin, i would go for Pirelli Cinturato Velo
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...-cinturato-velo-2018?_sm_byp=iVVH23RCnfQNRk8q

similar price if you look around places like ebay or bike24.

They generally run smaller than Contin. 26mm is similar your 25mm Ultrasport

(i have both Ultrasport and Cinturato. they roll similary, may be slightly faster with ultrasport)

i wouldnt bother with GP5000 if you are worried about puncture protection. if anything, it's slightly weaker than GP4000s II.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your responses guys, apologies I've not responded sooner... given the good write up I'm hearing from the UltraSports I'll stick with them a bit longer, they've not done many miles so should still be good.

If I find that I'm still getting a lot of punctures I'll check out the recommendations you guys have offered :)

Soldato
I ran ultra sports for a few years and decent tyre but very prone to punctures ime so I changed to gatorskins - hateful tyres but no punctures just horrible road feel and feel sketchy cornering in the dry let alone the wet. Continental GP4000/5000 or 4 seasons would be my recommendation.

Associate
When setting up tyres on rims put them with name label on valve that way get a puncture easy to find spot on tyre to check if hole or something stuck through tyre etc.
When out and had to do a fix n repair on roadside would take tyre of and go right round tyre squeesing sides together so open tread then flick all the flints etc out.
Good one is one of those large nappy pins on your keyring behind tip slightly then makes a great hook also can clip keys into pocket or somewhere to keep safe

Never really liked Conti tyres apart for on the track well set i had in 20mm was on track wheels.always found carcass fails or punctured

Vittoria open corsa CX's was good still have some originals brand new boxed 23mm Ebay time!
Michelins cut/punctured on there own!

Back
Top Bottom