Please help idiot set up wireless router

Associate
Hello, i switched from talktalk to onestream some months back. I kept the tt router (hg633) as it was less hasstle.

A year or so ago I hard wired a simple home network (cat5e). I only ever downloaded the occassional thing so 12mb download sufficed.

I have PC + xbox + freesat in bedroom and the tt router beside bt socket in the livingroom.

Anyway, last week wife bought 4k tv for bedroom to replace hdtv. She bought me a firestick for the 4k and also bought me some live sports packages.
When going to watch sports I couldnt. Freezing & lagging because of slow broadband.

I upgraded to 25-30mb download with isp. To make sure i have reliable connection I also bought a Netgear Nighthawk x4s R7800 router.

After hours of tinkering yesterday I was ready to smash the new router as it wouldnt work. I reinstalled the old tt hg633 router after realising i have purchased a 'ROUTER' that has no modem.

This is where I am stuck. I spent all of yesterday night and the early hours of this morning googling and youtubing.
I read about bridging etc and understood none of it.
I then read that bridginh is no good etc and I should use new router as acess point.

Basically, I know when im out of my depth. I just find all of this very complicated. Its not my thing.

Could some kind and patient network genius walk me through how to sort this. Could you walk me through in the most basic way. Im also a bit thick. Pretend you are trying to make a cabbage understand the networking principles.

Im very annoyed to have this inconvenience after spending £180 on the router. I dont want to use the hg633 in any way if it detracts from the performance of the nighthawk.

Do I need to buy a modem?

On a side note (cheeky I know) when I finished hardwiring my joint with ct5e I made my own ethernet cables.
When I pluged the ethernet cables into the router I was using at the time the little ****** b@sterd rj45 plugs I had bought jammed in the router. They also jammed in the modules of the faceplates i had recessed into the wall.
That was a nightmare, took me weeks to fot the faceplates due to living in an old home with crumbling lath&plaster walls.
Could said genius reccomend a quality company where I can buy rj45 connectors that dont jam?,

I know this is a lot and so I really appreciate the help and advice. If I can.return the favour I am more than happy to do so (no durty jokes please).

Im gonna lay down for an hour as I have the worst migrain.

Cheers,
Teddy

Soldato
Either return the existing router and get a combined unit, or spend £10 on an old HG612 OpenReach modem from a well known auction site which will do the modem side of things. Plug the modem in, plug the WAN port on the router to the modem, put the basic details in (u/p if required etc.) and it will connect. After that it's just a case of either going round all the wireless devices and putting the new u/p for wifi in, or changing the Nighthawk's SSID and password to the same as your old router and everything will switch over.

I've never had any problems with the cheap COB plugs that everywhere seems to stock, daft question, but you are pushing the tab back down to get them out?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply avalon. £10 seems a bit cheap. Does price reflect performance when it comes to modems?

The plugs def jammed. Had to get small pliers to get back out from faceplate module and it ruined the old router.
The patch cables u get with routers etc are a breeze to put in amd take out.
I just bought.the rj45 plugs from ebay.

Soldato
May want to re-read the rules on linking to competitors, that said, if you want to pay 8x more for what will give near identical results, then a Vigor 130 will give you more options to tweak your line, but for most people spending £10 or so on an HG612 is going to give the same results in the real world and a £70 saving.

Associate
OP
Oh, sorry avalon, my bad. Didnt even cross my mind. Forgot overclockers sold products. Im looking at speakers jusy now actually. Been searchin for weeks for decent studio speakers.

I only included the links as I wasnt sure of what model of hg612 i needed. Some included bnib within specs and some had nte in specs.

Also, some on sale were being offered as 'unlocked' whilst others did not mention t
It.

Thank you avalon.

Teddy

Associate
OP
Really appreciate the help and advice guys. Had a migrain for few days and got a lot of other things which are stressing me out. This is a headache I could do without.

Much appteciated. If i can repay the favour then just let me know.

Teddy

Soldato
BNIB is just Brand New In Box, NTE is Network Termination Equipment, don't let the jargon used fool you into over paying for something. As bremen says, unlocking takes about 2 minutes and is very simple, you don't need to do it and again don't over pay for someone else to. The 3B was the latest version they did from memory, again it's not a massive difference in the chipsets between revisions.

Back
Top Bottom