please help me choose a monitor for gaming

Soldato
please look at my sig to help with any opinions as i want to get the most from sli so anything bigger than my current 19 inches :)

Last edited:

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

Well assuming your pc is mainly for gaming I'd go for a fast screen, and I guess you want a large one too.

I'd think about the 'Eizo FlexScan S2110W 21" ' as it's large and has a 8ms refresh on a S-PVA screen (so has decent viewing angles too). Read a couple of reviews which say it's good, but then I've not read into it too much (as it's far out of my current budget).

There are a couple of Viewsonic screens coming out in Feb/March which could be good.

You could have course go for a 24 inch or 30 inch Dell screen, but I don't think they'll be the best for gaming.

Associate
I've got an 20.1'' NEC Multisync 2080UX+ Monitor and it's superb. Just do plenty of research before you decide which monitor to purchase though.

Cerb

Man of Honour
All the Dell models? My 2405FPW certainly doesnt, and tbh the backlight issues in the Dell range are pretty much exclusively in the 2005FPW stock.

Regardless, if you're looking for a fast TFT for gaming above the 19" range then it might be advisable to wait a little. While the Eizo S2110W is no doubt an excellent screen, it is not really very responsive for gaming, and moving from a fast TN Film model like your current VX912, i think you might notice a drop in gaming performance. There are a few nice 20" models emerging including the Belinea 102035W which is the first of range to be using AU Optronics' new 8ms P-MVA panel, which is effectively a larger version of the 19" panel used in excellent models like the Viewsonic VP930. There are also a few TN models emerging in the 20" market, but i think it is a shame to sacrifice the viewing angles and other areas when you can get fast P-MVA panels like the Belinea. The new Dell range should be good too, including the updated 2405FPW v2 model which should hopefully be using Samsungs new 6ms PVA panel. This was rated highly by BeHardware who noticed an improvement in real responsiveness compared with Samsung's previous 8ms and above offerings. There's plenty of good models on their way this year, but for now, the Belinea is about as fast as you'll get in the 20" and above range.

Soldato
OP
thanks baddass for the advise i'll wait for awhile for the faster response time 20" plus monitors to be released :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
If moneys no object, and looking at your sig, you should be able to power a 3007WFP, im unsure what results you would get for the resolution at gaming but 2x7800GTXs should prove to be good.

Soldato
t_aitch said:
If moneys no object, and looking at your sig, you should be able to power a 3007WFP, im unsure what results you would get for the resolution at gaming but 2x7800GTXs should prove to be good.

No way could 2xgtx run that resolution in the latest games - SLI rigs struggle with the 24" dell's 1900x1200 res.

Soldato
Baddass said:
All the Dell models? My 2405FPW certainly doesnt, and tbh the backlight issues in the Dell range are pretty much exclusively in the 2005FPW stock.

Regardless, if you're looking for a fast TFT for gaming above the 19" range then it might be advisable to wait a little. While the Eizo S2110W is no doubt an excellent screen, it is not really very responsive for gaming, and moving from a fast TN Film model like your current VX912, i think you might notice a drop in gaming performance. There are a few nice 20" models emerging including the Belinea 102035W which is the first of range to be using AU Optronics' new 8ms P-MVA panel, which is effectively a larger version of the 19" panel used in excellent models like the Viewsonic VP930. There are also a few TN models emerging in the 20" market, but i think it is a shame to sacrifice the viewing angles and other areas when you can get fast P-MVA panels like the Belinea. The new Dell range should be good too, including the updated 2405FPW v2 model which should hopefully be using Samsungs new 6ms PVA panel. This was rated highly by BeHardware who noticed an improvement in real responsiveness compared with Samsung's previous 8ms and above offerings. There's plenty of good models on their way this year, but for now, the Belinea is about as fast as you'll get in the 20" and above range.

Ive seen quite a few 24" Dells bleed - can you take a picture for us all to see please? Unlit room, perfectly black image displayed on the monitor, no flash etc.

Associate
Dave2150 said:
No way could 2xgtx run that resolution in the latest games - SLI rigs struggle with the 24" dell's 1900x1200 res.

Well he'll probably get a better result than my single 7800GT :(

Im not saying that he'll be able to run 2560x1600 or whatever the res is for the 3007, but he'll be able to run a high resolution for gaming that will look half respectable on that screen.

Man of Honour
Dave2150 said:
Ive seen quite a few 24" Dells bleed - can you take a picture for us all to see please? Unlit room, perfectly black image displayed on the monitor, no flash etc.

my camera doesnt do it justice and it's very hard to get a good pic without the flash on it. ive just tried the monitor in a dark room on an all black background and the blackness is very even across the whole screen. You'll just have to trust me on this one

Associate
Baddass said:
The new Dell range should be good too, including the updated 2405FPW v2 model which should hopefully be using Samsungs new 6ms PVA panel.

Is it definitely confirmed that Dell will update their 2005FPW and 2405FPW range of monitors? If so do you have any idea when these updated monitors will arrive in the UK?

Man of Honour
icemansin said:
Is it definitely confirmed that Dell will update their 2005FPW and 2405FPW range of monitors? If so do you have any idea when these updated monitors will arrive in the UK?

it's very sketchy really. We will have to wait and see, Dell have a few new models coming soon

Back
Top Bottom