Plex issue with Chromecast and Roku stick

Mobster
Soldato
I've got a Plex server running on a server I rent.

I can stream from the server to my laptop over WiFi (2.4GHz) in original quality (the file I am using is 14Mbps) with no issues, no buffering.

On my Chromecast though, I get constant buffering unless I turn the quality down. The Chromecast is connected to the network at well over 200Mbps via 802.11ac.

I thought this might be a Chromecast issue so I've got a Roku stick as well. This has a speed test app which reports speeds of 30Mbps+. However, in Plex I still get constant buffering.

I'm totally stumped as to what is going on here. Can anybody shed some light?

Last edited:
Soldato
Transcoding issue?

I found both my Chromecast and my FireTV to be quite fussy about how the video and/or audio was encoded.

What's the Plex server doing when you playback to the sticks?

Soldato
When it comes to streaming, wifi is generally not a good idea, on a suitable device (your laptop for example), you can get away with it. When you combine wifi with crappy devices bad things happen. A FireStick is a crappy device - I speak as someone who has experience in 'server rental' for lots of users. For example the FTV4K wired causes very few issues in Plex playback, Roku hard wired causes very few issues full stop, same devices via wifi results in many times more requests for assistance. Personal choice - buy decent hardware and hard wire it, you will have very few issues.

Don
When it comes to streaming, wifi is generally not a good idea, on a suitable device (your laptop for example), you can get away with it. When you combine wifi with crappy devices bad things happen. A FireStick is a crappy device - I speak as someone who has experience in 'server rental' for lots of users. For example the FTV4K wired causes very few issues in Plex playback, Roku hard wired causes very few issues full stop, same devices via wifi results in many times more requests for assistance. Personal choice - buy decent hardware and hard wire it, you will have very few issues.

Yup

WIFI should be reserved for light laptop use and mobile browsing. Any media content/streaming should be hard wired.

Soldato
Yup

WIFI should be reserved for light laptop use and mobile browsing. Any media content/streaming should be hard wired.

This should be printed on a warning sticker and placed on every single wifi adapter and device sold. When you peel it off the underneath it should have the same thing again with 'Stop being a ****' added.

Back
Top Bottom