Plex on TV app vs Nvidia Shield?

Associate
I'm about to purchase a new TV (LG C8 OLED) and being 'new' to Plex, I was wondering whether there would be much difference between running Plex on an app on the TV vs on an Nvidia Shield?

Soldato
I'm using my shield less and less these days . It use to get used every day. Now the apps on my LG OLED get used more often instead. The only thing I keep the shield for now is Kodi. The Plex app can't do HDR from the files I have tried .

Associate
OP
I'm using my shield less and less these days . It use to get used every day. Now the apps on my LG OLED get used more often instead. The only thing I keep the shield for now is Kodi. The Plex app can't do HDR from the files I have tried .

What apps do you use apart from Plex? I take it the app on the TV can do HDR?

Soldato
I'm about to purchase a new TV (LG C8 OLED) and being 'new' to Plex, I was wondering whether there would be much difference between running Plex on an app on the TV vs on an Nvidia Shield?

A lot of LG users use Xplay, which is a paid app from the LG store. Saying that, the latest update has screwed things up and the LQ QA team are as slow as a week in the jail to approve the latest update. Have a look on the Plex forum for info about it.

Soldato
The only issue with using the TV APP would be with HD sound formats. If you're sending sound back to a receiver using ARC or Optical the most you'll get is Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. ARC and Optical won't support TrueHD, DTS-HD, ATMOS etc.

Soldato
Imo plex on dedicated streamers is better then any plex app built in within the tv. My preference for a plex client is my Roku 4 ultra (similar to the 4k hdr stick but with Ethernet) . It's snappier than any TV plex app I've seen or encountered this year. Heck even Apple tvs plex is better than most in built plex clients

Associate
I used to use XPlay for pretty much everything Plex related. But since doing a big sound upgrade I've now got an NVIDIA Shield as ARC will not do the HD codecs and I notice a big difference in the sound quality. XPlay is perfect if you don't have a 5.1 setup. Though, if you have an OLED and are using TV speakers you are doing it wrong. So very wrong.

Back
Top Bottom