Plex server solution

Soldato
Looking for a Plex server solution to run rather than using my main machine.
Don't need anything special, just something that can sit quietly in the corner & stream to one TV or tablet.
Budget is negotiable, but I would say £300-£400 including a couple of hard drives. 4-6tb would be more than enough.
Mainly be 1080p content, but 4k support would be preferable for future use.

Soldato
Build your own with freenas.

You'll get more power and can transcode faster and more reliably.

£400 could do it, I managed it, although I had some drives already to start populating.

Soldato
My issue with Synology is that you are dependent upon continued support for Plex!

I had a DS213 which worked a treat.....until it suddenly wasn't supported anymore!

Which is why I picked up a HP Microserver and put unRaid on it and I've never looked back!

Dead simple and in a lot of cases far cheaper than the high-end Synology devices!

However, if you aren't looking to go down the DIY route, check put the QNAP range - a mate of mine has one and he swears by it!

Associate
I built my own, far cheaper and had a lot more processing power. My first server had an i5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz, 16GB and a tonne of drives. It could handle about 5 transcodes at a time.

Soldato
Supermicro boards are good. Nice cheap pentium work well in them and will do all the transcoding duties you need.

Supposedly need 16gb min of ram for freenas...there is a recommendation somewhere...8Gb per TB?

Soldato
Supposedly need 16gb min of ram for freenas...there is a recommendation somewhere...8Gb per TB?

You don't need that much RAM for a basic setup - 1GB per TB of storage is recommended for ZFS, but unless you are exploiting more ZFS features this in not essential - I have 4 x 4tb drives in my main ZFS storage pool bit only see about 512MB of ram used for each writable TB, though this does vary depending in what's going on a bit

Soldato
Yeah 8GB per TB was me being silly.

I think I concluded 8GB base plus 1GB per TB...so just went to 16GB.

I run a few jails and have a few jobs running. I've currently got 13.3 GB wired.

I have roughly 3TB with 1.8TB full.

Back
Top Bottom