Plusnet Discussion Thread

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Wouldn't I have the same experience as I do now with Plusnet as Origin use their services outside of their catchment area?

EE works out the same but my only concern with them is their traffic management. I don't want to experience any slow downs with P2P services.

ADSLx or VDSL2 (FTTC)?

AzZ

AzZ

Associate

Nice one. I did stumble upon that page yesterday but just wanted to confirm. I was reading about their previous policy which is no longer current.

I think I'll order it over this weekend and see how it goes.

As someone who's switched before for a cheaper deal and ended up with a worse service I'd say just stick to plus net if it's solid, nothing worse than being stuck with a less than optimal connection for months on end just to save a few quid.

That would've been my preferred option but their retention deal was poor. Over the last 18 months I was paying £24.49 all in (then £25.49 when the line rental increased by £1) for unlimited 76/20, line rental, no addtional call package. The best they would do for me was £32.98 and wanted to tie me into a 24 month contract.

There's a few deals out there now for the same setup with a lower monthly cost and cashback so over the contract there's quite a bit to be saved. There's always that risk though..

Last edited by a moderator:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Nice one. I did stumble upon that page yesterday but just wanted to confirm. I was reading about their previous policy which is no longer current.

I think I'll order it over this weekend and see how it goes.

Don't forget Quidco, up to £137.50.

Soldato

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Columbo;30484575 said:
Is that correct? The links dont work for me so can't confirm.
Thought the traffic management policies were different for their Off-Net and On-Net exchanges? Thats what always put me off moving to them but if thats now changed I'll have another look as the data boost and cashback would be great.

I believe it's changed. That was true for their old policy. Link to their current traffic management policy (i.e. they don't manage traffic): https://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-bill...phone-eetv-terms/broadband-network-management

ChrisD.;30485593 said:
Do you get a static IP with EE? And I assume they're okay with using your own router?

I don't think they provide a static IP. Yes! You can use your own router.

Soldato
Well my 76mb EE connection went live on Friday.
With my previous connection I'd get 51mb max down to around 42mb at peak times, EE hasn't dropped below 60mpbs all weekend including peak evening points so all is well currently.

Man of Honour
Well my 76mb EE connection went live on Friday.
With my previous connection I'd get 51mb max down to around 42mb at peak times, EE hasn't dropped below 60mpbs all weekend including peak evening points so all is well currently.
Interested to know what it's like as I'm considering EE. How have you found the process so far?

Soldato
Interested to know what it's like as I'm considering EE. How have you found the process so far?

Couldn't have been simpler, transfer was seemless though I did have one moment of hesitation in that I couldn't connect using the old white openreach modem as I always have with BT and Sky, however I just bypassed it and worked fine thats hardly EE's fault though.

Been very happy with the service so far and the info available is good with even a guide for using your own router supplied though I'm using the EE one for now until the 'bedding in' period is up. Had to ring customers services once during the process regarding billing which was dealt with straight away, I had a £10.55 early termination fee from BT which I've uploaded to EE and had confirmation that this has been credited already.

Speed is better, ping times are the same so basically all good so far.

The 5gb data boost is going to be added at any point during the next 30 working days and the £137.50 quidco cashback can take upto 90 days to track so can't really feedback back on those yet.

Man of Honour
Okay thanks. So you can't use your own modem? I have a Vigor and also an ECI modem. My main concern is if there's any peak time congestion, slow down of streams/Usenet etc.

Soldato
Okay thanks. So you can't use your own modem? I have a Vigor and also an ECI modem. My main concern is if there's any peak time congestion, slow down of streams/Usenet etc.

I wouldn't like to say you can't, it's just when I moved over it didn't work and I expected it to as I've migrated between Sky and BT 4 times now and the modem always reflected the changes and I just used the WAN port on my own Netgear router.

I presume if I unlocked it and messed around I could but I've just no need to do so as my speed has gone up by 9mb. In terms of peak congestion I haven't seen a hint of it yet but it's still early and I've only been on it for a weekend. However I did download 2 games last around 7:30 via Origin and was getting 7.5 mb/s constant.

Man of Honour
I've just had a Google, it appears you can use it. I am tempted to change as I am out of Contract with Zen, I'd save £14.49 a month plus £50 cashback via TCB make it just over £17 saved. Plus I would get 5GB top up on my SIM only deal, which to be fair I don't need but it's nice to have.

I am just concerned as it's an 18 months contract and to be fair Zen have been superb.

Soldato
In two minds about changing providers, mum and dad are on plusnet fibre and love it.

I am on Infinity 1 BT paying £44.99 which is going up to £47 in April. And get full 52 meg out of them with 8-9 ping. Part of my thinks what happens if I change and get problems, or Plus net are advertising 18 month contract 51-76mb at £32.50 per month. + £25 admin fee

Last edited:
Soldato
It could be as I'm using everything on wireless at the moment till I can get my loft boarded so I can put my server in there and run everything wired.

Got any suggestions? I might try a different channel on the router. My PC that is upstairs doesn't have any problems with Youtube buffering.

I had this issue mate, took the face off my BT socket and plugged into the test socket no problem since.

Back
Top Bottom