Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Yes, log in to your account and there should be a message in your broadband details about it.

I called them the other day and they matched Vodafone's offer immediately. As I have to unlimited calls package it takes me to £34 but that is cheaper than what I was paying before, so thanks for the heads up!

Did Plusnet extend the length of your contract when you accepted their offer?

Soldato
OP
I got the offer deal matched vodafone with Plusnet @ £27 a month for 18 months but they say it will £26 until 5th June because of broadband price increase by £1 extra. So, Plusnet giving me 18 months special discount £12.98 off every months until the contract has expiry next year.

Add on my referral discounts is a bonus too. :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've been having trouble with my line the last day or so. Called PlusNet support Sunday afternoon, which was fun... once I got through.

1. Suspiciously a few weeks ago I'd noticed my landline dial tone had vanished (but VDSL was working normally), so I got Openreach out to fix it via PN customer support. Case closed.
  2. A few days ago I noticed another Openreach van on the street which I always dread as I've had conversations with the OR guys and they're always saying they "fix one line but disturb another" etc
  3. Saturday night the connection was slooooooow but I put that down to lots of download activity. Checked again on Sunday and it hadn't improved.
  4. Opened up the modem stats page and the upload sync was showing 568kbps (normal sync 13457kbps) and the download was in the high 30000kbps. A fault.
  5. Picked up the phone to check a dial tone and the modem sync stats instantly improved to approx. 50000 and 14000 before gradually dropping again once the phone was put back down.
Now, I've had this issue at a previous property - I believe it's known as a high resistance fault (HR) and is caused by water in a joint etc so now I'm waiting for the Openreach god's to fix it. So frustrating when it's been fine for years :(

Man of Honour
I've been having trouble with my line the last day or so. Called PlusNet support Sunday afternoon, which was fun... once I got through.

1. Suspiciously a few weeks ago I'd noticed my landline dial tone had vanished (but VDSL was working normally), so I got Openreach out to fix it via PN customer support. Case closed.
  2. A few days ago I noticed another Openreach van on the street which I always dread as I've had conversations with the OR guys and they're always saying they "fix one line but disturb another" etc
  3. Saturday night the connection was slooooooow but I put that down to lots of download activity. Checked again on Sunday and it hadn't improved.
  4. Opened up the modem stats page and the upload sync was showing 568kbps (normal sync 13457kbps) and the download was in the high 30000kbps. A fault.
  5. Picked up the phone to check a dial tone and the modem sync stats instantly improved to approx. 50000 and 14000 before gradually dropping again once the phone was put back down.
Now, I've had this issue at a previous property - I believe it's known as a high resistance fault (HR) and is caused by water in a joint etc so now I'm waiting for the Openreach god's to fix it. So frustrating when it's been fine for years :(

Some OR engineers will pull cables from a working line to fix another fault. It's why many put 'doctor' tags on their own lines.

Did you book it as a voice fault or broadband fault? A voice fault will be dealt with a lot quicker by OR.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Some OR engineers will pull cables from a working line to fix another fault. It's why many put 'doctor' tags on their own lines.

Did you book it as a voice fault or broadband fault? A voice fault will be dealt with a lot quicker by OR.
Broadband. I can't hear any noise on the line, so I was reluctant to report it as a voice fault :(

V_R

V_R

Soldato

Care to expand on this? I've never heard of such a practice. Are you saying they will break a known good line to fix a fault?

Man of Honour
Care to expand on this? I've never heard of such a practice. Are you saying they will break a known good line to fix a fault?
That's exactly what I'm saying. Perhaps not OR engineers themselves, but 3rd party contractors such as Kelly Communications.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I imagine it's meant for high priority users i.e. doctors. It's not that the line is good per sé, just that they (doctors) need the availability and can't afford OR engineers to disconnect/mess with their line.

It's this availability that the guys abuse... swap your own line to a good pair then stick a "doctor" tag on and protect yourself.

Associate
I'm having to leave Virgin Media when I move, and I'm tending towards Plusnet rather than BT or Sky. The only question I have is if their Youview+ TV boxes are worth paying out for or to try and find a separate set-top box? I haven't had any other TV service other than Virgin for about ten years, Freeview before that. Me and the mrs mostly stream but it would be good to have a way to record Match of the Day.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this! As far as broadband goes it seems there's little difference between providers, other than Plusnet having a UK call centre.

Man of Honour
It's delayed on iPlayer, Saturday's show isn't on until Monday for example. It's not a massive problem as a download is usually available on reddit etc. Some kind of recording box would be useful in general though.
What about Sky? They do good new customer discounts. I've got PN FTTC and Sky Q, works well and is cheaper than getting BB from Sky. YMMV so perhaps ask Sky to see what they'd quote for Sky Q and FTTC.

Associate
What about Sky? They do good new customer discounts. I've got PN FTTC and Sky Q, works well and is cheaper than getting BB from Sky. YMMV so perhaps ask Sky to see what they'd quote for Sky Q and FTTC.

Never tried them, always considered them overkill for how much we watch TV, though I wouldn't rule them out. The only reason we had TV with Virgin was it was basically impossible to untangle from their broadband (or for the sake of a few quid thinking we might as well have it, as there are very few Freeview HD recorder alternatives). Currently paying £50.99 with Virgin for TV mix package, 100MB fibre and free weekend calls (the landline isn't even plugged in).

Caporegime
Never tried them, always considered them overkill for how much we watch TV, though I wouldn't rule them out. The only reason we had TV with Virgin was it was basically impossible to untangle from their broadband (or for the sake of a few quid thinking we might as well have it, as there are very few Freeview HD recorder alternatives). Currently paying £50.99 with Virgin for TV mix package, 100MB fibre and free weekend calls (the landline isn't even plugged in).
I can get you basic Entertainment TV with Sky Q for £10pm? Add. On 40/10 Fibre and line rental for £30pm?

Back
Top Bottom