Plusnet Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Well after paying for a years rental upfront, and then ringing after a fortnight to check on progress, it's taken a month for Plusnet to finally tell me that they never put the original order through (despite taking my monies). How can they **** up such a simple thing, awful customer service, so gone elsewhere.

same with me and I’m still waiting to get my money back. I’ve been having a field day on TrustPilot berating them. Worst ISP I’ve ever come across.

Soldato
same with me and I’m still waiting to get my money back. I’ve been having a field day on TrustPilot berating them. Worst ISP I’ve ever come across.

They messed up my line rental when I last used them as well. They charged me for a year upfront as well as charging me line rental as normal.

I eventually sorted it but they took forever to refund me, and I switched to BT instead. Shame really as the actual plusnet service was ok just the billing side was a shambles.

Soldato
Plusnet just called to remind me that my contract is up, they've offered Fibre Extra (which is what I am currently on) for £27 a month including line rental matching what Sky can offer. The benefit for me apart from the static IP, is that I get to watch BT Sport on Sky for £12.49 a month (although that will be half price for the first 6 months) whereas it's far more expensive to add it onto Sky going to BT directly. The downside is that I can't stream it online or watch it on the app but I can live without that. I think the closest I can get is the BT Unlimited 2 offer with BT Sports but that would work out more expensive as it comes into £54.99 a month and PlusNet will be £39.49. I guess I get the £110 gift card but I really don't want to go with BT as my ISP.

This will be my 3rd or 4th year with PlusNet and I've been very happy with them. I know I could probably save a few £ here and there if I looked around but I don't think I can get a better deal taking BT Sport on Sky into account. FWIW I tend to watch every PL and Championship game that's televised so it's not something I would be prepared to be without.

Edit, PlusNet have sent me the confirmation and it's 12 months only, I've asked them to confirm this as 18 months was mentioned on the call.

I can get a £110 gift card with BT, plus £105 cashback with TCC although it's an 18 month contract. That said I'm not really comfortable switching to them.
You can add the BT Sport HD channels with PN for £5 (iirc) a month for the app only though.

It's more if you go via the PN TV route.

Edit: we switched from BT to PN when we moved house, unlimited fibre extra settled at about 48/17 when i switched the router to my old BT HH. The PN router kept dropping wifi from my phone for some reason.

Associate
Just recently got connected with PN, got a static IP sorted but speeds aren't wonderful due to cab location. I'm still in the DLM period, will DLM force a resync to a faster line speed or does it just register for when the modem syncs next and syncs at the new rate?

Soldato
DLM will automatically increase/decrease the speed to a level it decides is stable. Leave it to get on with it.

Plusnet will have told you what speed to expect.

If you aren't getting the expected speed after 10 days contact Plusnet and have a moan.

Associate
DLM will automatically increase/decrease the speed to a level it decides is stable. Leave it to get on with it.

Plusnet will have told you what speed to expect.

If you aren't getting the expected speed after 10 days contact Plusnet and have a moan.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not touching the modem at all until after the initial 10 day DLM period passes. I just wondered if DLM queued a faster sync speed for when the modem next resyncs (whether user initiated or otherwise) or does DLM force a resync at any point?

Soldato
DLM usually does its thing in the early hours of the morning. It's all automatic, so no need for any user intervention.

DLM isn't just for the first 10 days, it's an ongoing process.

Soldato

Thats 99% correct and for most people they should just leave at default. However Plusnet (open reach) put my download sync to 3db and I was getting occasional disconnections, maybe once per week. So I manually increased the db and it stabilised my line more.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Got the £1/month price rise email so can leave without penality, along with a "stay with us on this great deal" blurb. £31.99/month for 18 months.

New customers it's £27.50 + £70 cashback.

I mean £1 is neither here nor there, but I hate **** like that.

Soldato
I've just left Plusnet for Vodafone. I was very happy with the service but they were playing hardball on the contract renewal. 80/20 FTTC with Voda is £23/month (I was paying £29 with PN) and £75 cashback. No doubt PN will have good deals for new customers in future so I'm likely to return.

They didn't half hound me with phone calls when the contract was ending though.

Soldato
I've just left Plusnet for Vodafone. I was very happy with the service but they were playing hardball on the contract renewal. 80/20 FTTC with Voda is £23/month (I was paying £29 with PN) and £75 cashback. No doubt PN will have good deals for new customers in future so I'm likely to return.

Can you tell any difference between Plusnet and Vodafone?

Soldato
Sync speed and speed test results seem very similar between both. Syncing at 77/20 and speed test are coming back at 67/18 which isn't too offensive.

Download speeds don't seem quite as stable on Vodafone though. PN would almost always sustain 7.8MB/s. I've found Voda to be a little unstable, starting off at 7-7.1MB/s, and slowly climbing to 7.7-8 before dropping back to 7.4-5.

I'm using my own equipment so nothing to do with the provided router either. Maybe Voda use more aggressive traffic management/QoS.

Associate
I left plusnet and jumped to talk talk. Again using my own equipment and been stable. Was really worried because of the rep of talk talk but for £26.50 plus £100 cashback plus another £90 to compete with Vodafone’s offer it was a no brainer. Sync at 53/18. Low 7ms ping. Heard the free router is good but use my own equipment plus openreach modem. If ya can get a good price with cashback then don’t shut talk talk out.

Soldato
My contract expires soon but I have ~7 months of line rental saver left to go so can't exactly leave. Hopefully will get a deal similar to the one I have now for another 18 months. It's not like I'm gonna get FTTP any time soon since I don't live in a city or a rural area, which is where the FTTP focus is.

Soldato
Sync speed and speed test results seem very similar between both. Syncing at 77/20 and speed test are coming back at 67/18 which isn't too offensive.

Download speeds don't seem quite as stable on Vodafone though. PN would almost always sustain 7.8MB/s. I've found Voda to be a little unstable, starting off at 7-7.1MB/s, and slowly climbing to 7.7-8 before dropping back to 7.4-5.

I'm using my own equipment so nothing to do with the provided router either. Maybe Voda use more aggressive traffic management/QoS.

Thanks for the detail :) Since my sync rate is only 50mbit I'm not sure if I could stomach not getting the maximum throughput.

Man of Honour

PN matched Vodafone for me and then dropped the price of line rental (I think?) when I renewed.

Caporegime
I'm meant to be switching to Vodafone today, slightly surprised to see I still have a Plusnet connection this morning.

Switched over sometime this morning but had to phone Vodafone to get content controls sorted and router provisioning config, bit annoying but its done now

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had my plusnet email through informing me of price rises. Yep a while £1 extra on my line rental or I can opt into another 18 month contract to keep the price I have now.

They've been pretty decent but so long I'm off to Zen!

Soldato
Need to renew with Plusnet next week but they're pretty much holding me over a barrel since I have 8 months of line rental saver left to use. That's the problem with these 12 month line rental savers paired with 18 month broadband contracts...

Best they can offer me is £36/mo for 80/20 Mb/s, whereas new customers can get it for £28/mo with a £70 voucher. I asked them to at least match Vodafone but no dice. Guess I just have to see if I get someone more reasonable on the phone next time.

Back
Top Bottom