Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
I had issues yesterday afternoon online gaming. Sporadic pings to BBC, Google, Multiplay etc. Mrs struggled to access Facebook as well on the wifi. I've logged a fault and created a TBB graph. Anyone else had issues?

Is it working again? I'm considering signing up with PlusNet again on Wednesday because they're one of the few ISPs still offering <24 month contracts.

Associate
Anyone using a router which has gigabit connections ports? I have an Billion 8800NL R2 but its only got 4-port 10/100Mbps (1 gigabit Ewan) as my older 7800 had 4 gigabit ports

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much any router release in the last few years has gigabit ports. That said router LAN port speed is largely irrelevant if you plug in a gigabit switch - any gigabit clients in the switch can communicate with each other at gigabit speeds as they don’t need to hit the router other that downloading from the WAN which will max out at 80Mbit.

Soldato
Without sounding like a numpty, can I plug a gigabit switch into the EWAN port on the router and use it that way? Like the TP-Link TL-SG1005D

Not unless the router allows you to add the WAN port to the switch group, but as I already pointed out it will make no difference at all to wired clients plugged into the switch - they will all communicate at gigabit speed anyway, so what are you trying to achieve?

Caporegime
when I found that I didn't have any internet connection when the plusnet hub was showing that I was connected and it was only after I checked the router settings that I found out that PN acted like complete dirtbags and wiped all the original login data on the router replacing it with a generic account

Doesn't sound like something that would be done deliberately, perhaps just a provisioning error meant that the wrong profile was pushed to the router when it came online.

I've been having DNS resolution issues with Plusnet for the last couple of weeks, and because the Plusnet Hub doesn't let you change DNS servers I've had to swap all my devices to static addressing.

I also bought a Ubiquiti Amplifi instant home router and then realised you can't put the plusnet router in bridging mode, either way the wifi is much better but it would be nice to use the routing features on it too.

Associate
Doesn't sound like something that would be done deliberately, perhaps just a provisioning error meant that the wrong profile was pushed to the router when it came online.
I would suggest re-reading what I originally typed as that happened on the day I was moving from plusnet to another ISP where they could have left everything as it was and block access so that I actually knew that I needed to swap over to the new ISP, but they acted like morons and pushed a generic login profile to the router to make it look like there was still an active internet connection when in fact there wasn't.

Soldato
I would suggest re-reading what I originally typed as that happened on the day I was moving from plusnet to another ISP where they could have left everything as it was and block access so that I actually knew that I needed to swap over to the new ISP, but they acted like morons and pushed a generic login profile to the router to make it look like there was still an active internet connection when in fact there wasn't.

Stop and think about it for a moment, it doesn’t matter what Plusnet did or didn’t do, it went off on the day of the migration and you had to plug in your new ISP supplied router, that was exactly what you were expecting surely? If you were using a 3rd party router you’d have had to change your login details, this is what happens on a migration, nobody did anything nasty to you :D

Associate
Not unless the router allows you to add the WAN port to the switch group, but as I already pointed out it will make no difference at all to wired clients plugged into the switch - they will all communicate at gigabit speed anyway, so what are you trying to achieve?

I have a Mac which I transfer files to 2 other PCs. My old router, Billion 7800 had 1Gig connections which was great but since the new Billion 8800 R2 only has fast ethernet the speeds these are a lot slower.
I think I have a gigabit switch somewhere, so if I connect this to the lan in the router and then everything in switch I should get the 1 gig connection back.

Soldato
I have a Mac which I transfer files to 2 other PCs. My old router, Billion 7800 had 1Gig connections which was great but since the new Billion 8800 R2 only has fast ethernet the speeds these are a lot slower.
I think I have a gigabit switch somewhere, so if I connect this to the lan in the router and then everything in switch I should get the 1 gig connection back.

Yes, gigabit capable devices connected to a gigabit switch via gigabit capable cables will run at gigabit, the routers LAN port speed is irrelevant unless you plug something into the router and it needs to communicate with a device connected to the switch, then that transfer would be at 100Mbit, same would apply to WLAN connections as they are via router.

Associate
Yes, gigabit capable devices connected to a gigabit switch via gigabit capable cables will run at gigabit, the routers LAN port speed is irrelevant unless you plug something into the router and it needs to communicate with a device connected to the switch, then that transfer would be at 100Mbit, same would apply to WLAN connections as they are via router.

Cool, thanks bud

Soldato
Has anyone else noticed their ADSL/VDSL connections have become more stable during the COVID-19. My theory is there are less vehicles on the road that put out EMF that can effect connections.

I use to live in a house with an over head phone line, and sometimes when a truck passed under the line the ADSL reset, so I know this can happen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had an awful night gaming no bullets landing etc and seem to have high packet loss at plus net.

Onedrive link below to pingplot.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMHGD-yylU7gdsGSe87hmSXaFs_eA?e=hm6Kxa

If that device was causing the packet loss, you'd see loss to all of the devices behind it too. Some routers/switches will prioritise traffic being forwarded through it over traffic that's directed to it. they will rate limit/drop pings as well to save the CPU. Pings to the far end seem consistent, so that graph doesn't explain why stuff isn't landing.

Soldato
Hi all, just joined Plusnet today as my FTTC from Sky has just been switched over. Had broadband with Sky for some 15 years I should think!

First impressions are good, my sync speed has gone up from approx 32mb to just shy of 38mb and my average ping has dropped from around 20ms to 16ms. Internet in general just feels far snappier.

I'm running a Draytek Vigor 130 with pfSense in a Dell R210ii.

Soldato
Yet again 5 months later, speed is below the guaranteed rate! 2 months and might be moving on from PN!
Most of the speed you get is completely dependant on the Openreach equipment. You'll be stuck with that even if you change ISPs.

If there's a line fault that can be addressed get it dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom