Pokemon Moon and Pokemon Sun

Associate
As expected, graphics look no better than existing 3DS Pokemon, which is to be expected since they're releasing on the same hardware and there's no room to maneouver with the current framerates. I want them to fix the poor framerates (current games are 30fps with drops during battles), but considering this looks the same, I won't get my hopes up.

On the starters, overall slightly disappointing, except the grass one (unique typing). The designs are not particularly unique (we've had owl Pokemon, cat Pokemon, fire-type cat Pokemon, water-type sealion Pokemon), but the cat looks okay and the owl looks pretty darn adorable. The Legendaries both look pretty cool, but the Lion feels too unoriginal to me, considering we already have Entei and Pyroar.

The game region looks disappointingly small, I just hope it turns out to be multiple islands or something and they only showed one island. That's about it for my cynnical commentary.

Soldato
As expected, graphics look no better than existing 3DS Pokemon, which is to be expected since they're releasing on the same hardware and there's no room to maneouver with the current framerates. I want them to fix the poor framerates (current games are 30fps with drops during battles), but considering this looks the same, I won't get my hopes up.

On the starters, overall slightly disappointing, except the grass one (unique typing). The designs are not particularly unique (we've had owl Pokemon, cat Pokemon, fire-type cat Pokemon, water-type sealion Pokemon), but the cat looks okay and the owl looks pretty darn adorable. The Legendaries both look pretty cool, but the Lion feels too unoriginal to me, considering we already have Entei and Pyroar.

The game region looks disappointingly small, I just hope it turns out to be multiple islands or something and they only showed one island. That's about it for my cynnical commentary.

Main graphical difference seems to be that the characters now have actual human proportions, which is nice. I agree that the biggest improvement would be a stable framerate.

The region is based on Hawaii, so it might include other islands, but I doubt the overall size would be any different to previous games, although I'm not sure how they are going to do an icy area in the tropics.

Current theory is that the cat starter turns into a tiger, which would be cool and different. The water starter does seem a bit lame though.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Well as Facebook has been trending for Pokemon Go. Id thought it's time to give Pokemon a go!

I've never played any of the games or watched the tv show.

So where do I start?

Associate
Well as Facebook has been trending for Pokemon Go. Id thought it's time to give Pokemon a go!

I've never played any of the games or watched the tv show.

So where do I start?

The main series is unfortunately exclusive to Nintendo handhelds, so I'd start buy perhaps buying a 3DS and one of the current games. Or if you want to play the older games, you can just use an emulator or something.

If you buy a 3DS, you have a choice of 4 games, 2 of each are the same (different versions of the same game with minor differences). There's X, Y, OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire. The latter two have and support all the latest new things, like new Mega-Evolutions and such. Of each pair, it's best to choose whichever one's cover Pokemon you like (i.e. the Pokemon literally on the front cover). X has the blue deer Xerneas versus the big red bird for Y. OmegaRuby has a big red lava monster and AlphaSapphire has a whale-like thing.

The Pokemon you can't get can easily be traded for online. And if you want to restart your save and keep your Pokemon, there's a subscription service: Pokemon Bank, that let's you store Pokemon on the cloud (all for just a fiver per year!). Otherwise all the online stuff is free. There's even DLC-esque Pokemon to download every now and then, but the events usually have a limited timeframe. Or you get a code from someplace and get them that way.

Also... it's not the best idea base your fancies upon 'trends of the internet'. The internet is known to trend on bad things too... be your own person and don't let popular vote dictate your own decisions. Things get hyped, people fall for that hype and sometimes the delivery simply isn't there. Take graphics cards for example.

Soldato
The main series is unfortunately exclusive to Nintendo handhelds, so I'd start buy perhaps buying a 3DS and one of the current games. Or if you want to play the older games, you can just use an emulator or something.

If you buy a 3DS, you have a choice of 4 games, 2 of each are the same (different versions of the same game with minor differences). There's X, Y, OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire. The latter two have and support all the latest new things, like new Mega-Evolutions and such. Of each pair, it's best to choose whichever one's cover Pokemon you like (i.e. the Pokemon literally on the front cover). X has the blue deer Xerneas versus the big red bird for Y. OmegaRuby has a big red lava monster and AlphaSapphire has a whale-like thing.

The Pokemon you can't get can easily be traded for online. And if you want to restart your save and keep your Pokemon, there's a subscription service: Pokemon Bank, that let's you store Pokemon on the cloud (all for just a fiver per year!). Otherwise all the online stuff is free. There's even DLC-esque Pokemon to download every now and then, but the events usually have a limited timeframe. Or you get a code from someplace and get them that way.

Also... it's not the best idea base your fancies upon 'trends of the internet'. The internet is known to trend on bad things too... be your own person and don't let popular vote dictate your own decisions. Things get hyped, people fall for that hype and sometimes the delivery simply isn't there. Take graphics cards for example.

This is very insightful thanks.

Incidentally, if I wanted to start collecting all the Pokémon from scratch, can I do it with Ruby/Sapphire?

Associate
This is very insightful thanks.

Incidentally, if I wanted to start collecting all the Pokémon from scratch, can I do it with Ruby/Sapphire?

To get all apart from event pokemon you need X+Y+OR+AS if you dont know people who will trade.
Or you can use global trade to get some of them

Associate
Cheers meandu.

Global trade? Sorry could you please explain?

Global Trade is what it sounds like. Trade with random folks around the world. Or find directly people who have the Pokemon you want and trade with them.

I'm also appaulled at the pricing of Pokemon Sun and Moon. The Steelbook of ORAS was £40, while the regular version was £35. Now they expect us to pay more? For a not-able-to-maintain 30fps experience?

Ugh. I shouldn't have expected any better from Nintendo, who are always stingy with their pricing. I guess this year the graphics cards have joined in the gouging too... I'm getting sick of having to moan at this stuff.

On the plus side, I was right about multiple islands. And I like the alternate formes of existing Pokemon. That sort of thing I love, paying attention to what is already there, rather than lazily piling on more new (and often unoriginal) Pokemon.

Associate
Cheers mahius.

There is an offer at Base for Sun and Moon for £29.99.
Ive preordered both...

EDIT: Looks like its still on for that price.

Nice find. Finally a reasonable price for these games lol. Paying £10 more to get both games is a decent call.

And yes, as someone mentioned before, you can get every single Pokemon (currently released) from just X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. I've only got Y and Omega Ruby, but I've caught almost every single Pokemon from those 2 games and a teensy bit of trading. I think I've literally got less than 5 left to get.

I will also remind you that some special Pokemon not found in the games at all, must be obtained from special events, like the current Arceus event at GAME. Hitting all the events this year and having those games, one can get every single Pokemon themselves. I managed to nab 4 Arceus codes the other day lol.

This page shows all the ones this year and some of them seomtimes get repeated for folks who have missed them: http://www.serebii.net/events/2016.shtml

Soldato
I've recently been playing Pokemon Go and it's brought back some good memories. I'm getting tempted to buy a 3DS & Omega Ruby now. Not sure if it would be worth it though? What does everyone think. The last Pokemon game i played other than Go was the original Ruby on GBA

Soldato
I've recently been playing Pokemon Go and it's brought back some good memories. I'm getting tempted to buy a 3DS & Omega Ruby now. Not sure if it would be worth it though? What does everyone think. The last Pokemon game i played other than Go was the original Ruby on GBA

Would personally recommend X or Y over Omega Ruby. X & Y are original games and IMHO better than Ruby/Sapphire.

Either way they bring Pokemon up-to-date and I definitely recommend them. The 3DS overall is awesome.

Associate

Would personally recommend X or Y over Omega Ruby. X & Y are original games and IMHO better than Ruby/Sapphire.

Either way they bring Pokemon up-to-date and I definitely recommend them. The 3DS overall is awesome.

Up to each individual, but I preferred ORAS to XY. XY felt like there isn't as much to do after finishing the game, while on the other hand, ORAS felt like it was chock full of content. And perhaps the most important is that ORAS supports all the Gen 6 Mega-Evolutions, the version exlcusive stones in XY can all be found in either version of ORAS. ORAS also has much QoL over XY, like late-game fly not requiring a party slot. Not saying XY are bad games though, they are great and are probably the best to go for if one has much gen 1 nostalgia. ORAS is for gen 3 nostalgia. Or do something better than buying either... get both. Start with XY and then move onto ORAS.

And probably my favourite ORAS mechanic is the DexNav. That thing alone puts Pokemon Go to shame. Which isn't too hard to do if I'm honest, such a shoddy game, even by mobile standards (at least other phone games work most of the time).

Last edited:
Soldato
Folks, if I wanted to start collecting each pokemon. Am I best doing this by collecting 3 of each pokemon so I can evolve 2 of them to stage 1 and 2?

Or does the pokedex recognise that you owned previous versions of evolved pokemon?

Cant find much material on this :(

Soldato
Folks, if I wanted to start collecting each pokemon. Am I best doing this by collecting 3 of each pokemon so I can evolve 2 of them to stage 1 and 2?

Or does the pokedex recognise that you owned previous versions of evolved pokemon?

Cant find much material on this :(

It remembers everything you've caught (so once it's evolved you'll keep the original in the pokedex)

Soldato
It remembers everything you've caught (so once it's evolved you'll keep the original in the pokedex)

Ah very cool. Thanks pw!

And do the "originals in the pokedex", are these able to be used in battle?
Or are they just in the pokedex as a record of collecting them?
(Not sure if I am confusing myself as surely a pokemon in the pokedex means you physically have it?

Caporegime
Ah very cool. Thanks pw!

And do the "originals in the pokedex", are these able to be used in battle?
Or are they just in the pokedex as a record of collecting them?
(Not sure if I am confusing myself as surely a pokemon in the pokedex means you physically have it?

Without a lot of time/effort you wont catch them all anyway. In which case why not just play the game and enjoy it?

Pokemon like Mew etc will be difficult to find!

Back
Top Bottom