Pokemon Moon and Pokemon Sun

Caporegime
On island 3 and have a motley crew of, frankly, awful pokies.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but, and I will add my lady friend who I'm playing this with didn't notice until I mentioned it, does anyone think this game is pretty sexist against the wiminz? All the time girls are referenced by how they look or characters comment on their looks... or about their need to go shopping. There are also some seemingly bizarrely out of place innuendos (most memorably when you are cooking a potion in a jungle and some references to 'grinding and pounding' or similar to ingredients are made by a girl whilst the camera lowers down onto her body... although maybe I was steered towards picking that up from noticing the more blatant sexism). Female characters always called 'beauty x' or similar or commenting on looking good and being pretty. I dunno - anyone else picked this up?

Do me a favour and pop into a beauty salon during the week and note dowmn the proportion of females to males.

then wait in for your binmen and do the same. You'll have your answer very quickly.

Soldato
On island 3 and have a motley crew of, frankly, awful pokies.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but, and I will add my lady friend who I'm playing this with didn't notice until I mentioned it, does anyone think this game is pretty sexist against the wiminz? All the time girls are referenced by how they look or characters comment on their looks... or about their need to go shopping. There are also some seemingly bizarrely out of place innuendos (most memorably when you are cooking a potion in a jungle and some references to 'grinding and pounding' or similar to ingredients are made by a girl whilst the camera lowers down onto her body... although maybe I was steered towards picking that up from noticing the more blatant sexism). Female characters always called 'beauty x' or similar or commenting on looking good and being pretty. I dunno - anyone else picked this up?

Yep, has has been highlighted on various gaming podcasts and questioned if it was put in there on purpose or just a bad translation.

Soldato
Seriously, **** SOS. It's the most annoying thing ever when trying to catch a Pokemon, not to mention the fact they can still attack.

Those saying it's too easy, make sure EXP Share is turned off and change battle style from switch to set in the options. It's still fairly easy (it's a Pokemon game, come on) but you don't end up being over-leveled. I ended up a good 10-15 levels below the champions in X and AS which led to some rather intense moments (I survived the Wally battle before the E4 with a single Pokemon with 1 HP!). Changing battle style to set means you don't get a free change of Pokemon when you knock out another trainers Pokemon.

Associate
How much different is this to Omega Ruby? I would like either game but don't want too much of the same.

I've still yet to play my copy of Moon (and it was one of the first to arrive, a day before UK release), but from what I've read, the core structure is different. I'm just finishing off OmegaRuby myself today and it's my favourite Pokemon game yet. Many cool mechanics, despite keeping the same old 'beat 8 gym leaders and then elite 4' concept. ORAS also has a ton of Legendaries, I spent all day yesterday catching most of them and I still have a few left. ORAS also compliments X and Y in terms of the Pokemon you can catch. With just XY and ORAS, you can catch the entire Pokedex (except event pokemon, but there's been events throughout this year for them) before gen 7.

SuMo (acronym for the new games) does away with this entirely and instead there's some sort of island challenge thingy. No more Pokenav (my favourite mechanic in ORAS, use it to catch rare Pokemon and chain for shinies), but instead the SOS mechanic is kinda similar. The Pokemon called in apparently get better, the longer the chain goes. They also do away with HMs and instead you get things similar to the Eon Flute in ORAS (i.e. you don't use up a party slot for such things). There's many QoL changes and it has customisation which ORAS dropped after X and Y.

If you want something unique (which it sounds like), then go for the new games instead of ORAS (as much as it pains me to say it). They don't have Pokemon Bank support yet however (planned for start of 2017) and I can't say much else due to not having yet played it. I've not heard a peep about hidden abilities on Pokemon, like the starters. X and Y let you catch Hidden Ability starters through Friend Safari, but I've not heard of anything similar for SuMO. Of course, keep in mind that I've yet to play the game and don't know too much about it.

Those saying it's too easy, make sure EXP Share is turned off and change battle style from switch to set in the options. It's still fairly easy (it's a Pokemon game, come on) but you don't end up being over-leveled. I ended up a good 10-15 levels below the champions in X and AS which led to some rather intense moments (I survived the Wally battle before the E4 with a single Pokemon with 1 HP!). Changing battle style to set means you don't get a free change of Pokemon when you knock out another trainers Pokemon.

+1

My team from the previous save file in Omega Ruby were all in the 80s when they did the Elite 4. This save file I turned off the Exp. Share (seems to be one by default) at the start and only turned it back on yesterday while I was hunting the Legendaries after Groundon. I'm about to do the Elite 4 and my team is all level 50, except for Sceptile at level 60. It's going to be fun and interesting, especially since I've EV trained them all (Super training) and they have perfect IVs/natures (bred to perfection with a few egg moves, just cos it's one of the few grinds I enjoy). It's the rematch after Delta Episode I'm concerned about now, I'm not sure I'll be doing much levelling after the first round against them. Regardless, it'll be fun to finally face a challenge.

I always play with default settings and such with the first save files though. I like to play through each game 3 times. After this last leg of this final play-through of OmegaRuby, I'll be glad to start Pokemon Moon. The LE figurine of Lunala has been staring at me playing OR to death this weekend.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm only 11 hours in but I seem to be looping myself.

Most of my pokemon are around lv 24 but I've recently switched out my Slowpoke for a Magikarp (currently lv 17) as I thought a Garydos would be a better water pokemon. But yesterday I caught Totodile so I'm torn between which I should raise.

Also Deino is up for island scan today and I think I'll get rid of my flying type (the yellow flying/electric type bird with pom poms) and train up the Dragon/Dark instead.

Think I may ditch my starter pokemon too.

Soldato

Most of my pokemon are around lv 24 but I've recently switched out my Slowpoke for a Magikarp (currently lv 17) as I thought a Garydos would be a better water pokemon. But yesterday I caught Totodile so I'm torn between which I should raise.

Also Deino is up for island scan today and I think I'll get rid of my flying type (the yellow flying/electric type bird with pom poms) and train up the Dragon/Dark instead.

Eh? This sounds more like X and Y?

Associate

Are you sure you're playing the right game? Doesn't sound like Sun or Moon to me! :p

Associate
Haha, it's definitely Moon guys. I'm shocked and appalled you'd even question me :p

I caught on when you said you caught a Totodile... you can't catch starters in the wild in any Pokemon game I've played! Must be a SuMo thing. Speaking of which, I had a fun and challenging last Elite 4 battle in Omega Ruby. Time to crack open Moon.

I'm choosing Litten, 2nd choice. Mainly because it's hidden ability is nonsense and I want the hidden abilities for the other 2. So I've got some time to figure out where to get them from/to let them release HA starters.

For some reason
Lycanroc has been on my mind and has been confusing the hell out of me. It's a werewolf that evolves from a dog, so is the last evolution a human, AKA reverse werewolf? I can imagine a caveman with a rock necklace and stone club lol

Soldato
sorry to bump this up.

I have a craving to play a pokemon game, think the last pokemon I played was the ruby and sapphire remakes, Wasn't a big fan of black and white and don't think i bothered with x&y cause of it.

How is the Sun & Moon plus ultra games? Are they worth giving a go?

Associate
great games with multiple runthroughs here, currently sitting playing battle spot doubles.
you ll find an online battle withing 10 seconds if thats ur thing.

Soldato
Ended up buying Ultra Moon, got as far as the first city and picked Rowlet, then got dragged away to play some overwatch.

It certainly is a hell of a lot different to the classic top down view of old, going to take some getting used to.

Associate
Ended up buying Ultra Moon, got as far as the first city and picked Rowlet, then got dragged away to play some overwatch.

It certainly is a hell of a lot different to the classic top down view of old, going to take some getting used to.

Rowlett is the worst starter to pick for USUM. Popplio is the best starter - ignoring its female/childish looks the final evolution specced with Special Attack (Primarina) has so much coverage with:-
Sparkling Aria (STAB) for Ground/Rock/Fire
Ice Beam for Dragons/Grass/Flying
Psychic/Shadow Ball for Ghost/Psychic/Poison - if using Psychic
Moonblast (STAB) for Dragons/Fighting/Dark

Shawrey

Last edited:
Soldato
Rowlett is the worst starter to pick for USUM. Popplio is the best starter - ignoring its female/childish looks the final evolution specced with Special Attack (Primarina) has so much coverage with:-
Sparkling Aria (STAB) for Ground/Rock/Fire
Ice Beam for Dragons/Grass/Flying
Psychic/Shadow Ball for Ghost/Psychic/Poison - if using Psychic
Moonblast (STAB) for Dragons/Fighting/Dark

Shawrey

Good thing I haven't really touched this much haha, might restart and go for Popplio then, I quited liked the little Potato Owl.

Associate
Good thing I haven't really touched this much haha, might restart and go for Popplio then, I quited liked the little Potato Owl.

I used Rowlett in the first Sun as the thought of a Ghostly Owl Archer seemed lit but he was outclassed by Incineroar in the first round of games.

On USUM Primarina wins due to the TM moves it can learn giving superb coverage on the Totem Poke's. Plenty of YouTube vids explaining good teams to have - surprisingly Alolan Grimer/Muk is extremely useful for tanking as Posion is a real bonus to helping with some harder battles. Thoroughly recommend the pain of trying to get a 1% encounter rate Bagon on Route 3 by the Berry tree - took me around an hour of running round in the grass. Or you can wait till you get the Lapras Surf and go back to the same area through the cave to the grass below route 3 and have a 10% encounter rate Bagon. Salamence really does own in some battles as Salamence also has tremendous coverage with moves like Flamethrower, Crunch, Dragon Claw, Fly/Aerial Ace, Earthquake and Hyper Beam available.

Shawrey

Soldato
I used Rowlett in the first Sun as the thought of a Ghostly Owl Archer seemed lit but he was outclassed by Incineroar in the first round of games.

On USUM Primarina wins due to the TM moves it can learn giving superb coverage on the Totem Poke's. Plenty of YouTube vids explaining good teams to have - surprisingly Alolan Grimer/Muk is extremely useful for tanking as Posion is a real bonus to helping with some harder battles. Thoroughly recommend the pain of trying to get a 1% encounter rate Bagon on Route 3 by the Berry tree - took me around an hour of running round in the grass. Or you can wait till you get the Lapras Surf and go back to the same area through the cave to the grass below route 3 and have a 10% encounter rate Bagon. Salamence really does own in some battles as Salamence also has tremendous coverage with moves like Flamethrower, Crunch, Dragon Claw, Fly/Aerial Ace, Earthquake and Hyper Beam available.

Shawrey

Some useful info here, cheers for this.

Back
Top Bottom