Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Soldato
I've come late to the thread. But this is another example of our lax system.

The guy was convicted of terrorism for plotting to blow up the London Stock Exchange in 2012, along with 6 other people. 5 of them are already out on license like this guy was, 1 is still in jail.

Do people actually think that spending time in jail is going to change someones terroristic ways? No, they will be associating with other people who have a chip on their shoulder about society. He shouldn't have been let out.

What is more egregious is there was also a murderer been let out too. Yes he helped stopped the guy, as did other ex offenders, but why was this class "Living Together" even taking place away from a secure facility in the middle of London? There is literally terrorists and murderers walking the streets of London and people wonder why London isn't safe any more.

Even after all what as happened, 56 people injured 2 people killed and the gun man shot, there are still people now saying that they shouldn't have been sent to prison, that its all about rehabilitation, even though rehabilitation was taking place, that is what the course was about that they was attending. The conversation as moved away from hanging these scum, to prison, and now prison isn't good enough for them apparently. Why don't was just give them a pat on the back and say "you have been a very naughty boy" and that be the end of it!? :rolleyes: The western world as lost its backbone.

Caporegime
I've come late to the thread. But this is another example of our lax system.

The guy was convicted of terrorism for plotting to blow up the London Stock Exchange in 2012, along with 6 other people. 5 of them are already out on license like this guy was, 1 is still in jail.

Do people actually think that spending time in jail is going to change someones terroristic ways? No, they will be associating with other people who have a chip on their shoulder about society. He shouldn't have been let out.

What is more egregious is there was also a murderer been let out too. Yes he helped stopped the guy, as did other ex offenders, but why was this class "Living Together" even taking place away from a secure facility in the middle of London? There is literally terrorists and murderers walking the streets of London and people wonder why London isn't safe any more.

Even after all what as happened, 56 people injured 2 people killed and the gun man shot, there are still people now saying that they shouldn't have been sent to prison, that its all about rehabilitation, even though rehabilitation was taking place, that is what the course was about that they was attending. The conversation as moved away from hanging these scum, to prison, and now prison isn't good enough for them apparently. Why don't was just give them a pat on the back and say "you have been a very naughty boy" and that be the end of it!? :rolleyes: The western world as lost its backbone.

Who the **** is saying they shouldn't be sent to prison? It's not that the system is lax, it's that it's not even being allowed to work in the first place and there was no rehabilitation at all for this guy (at least in terms of his radicalisation), do you honestly believe that simply being in prison is the rehabilitation?

Again you have two options, you either commit genocide or find a tangible solution that doesn't mean we destroy our society in the process.

Last edited:
Soldato
Prisons perform two roles - rehabilitation for some and public safety for others. In most cases the ideal of rehabilitation is preferred as it outputs people who can rejoin society safely yet there are a number of criminals (like this guy) who are beyond genuine rehabilitation and therefore in the interests of public safety, should never have been released.

We already have that mechanism in place for those who are mentally ill and will therefore spend their lives in a secure hospital as they are unable to rejoin society, so why can't we use already existing laws to to keep the public safe by keeping people like this behind bars due to the threat they pose?

Caporegime
How does one go about deradicalising somone?
It's a genuine question.
Does anyone have real experience or knowledge?

Well he became radical, it's fair to assume its possible to reverse it, but i doubt anyone here will give an answer that isn't just an opinion. It's certainly better to see if it's possible than to waste time/resources shredding our culture over it, if it's not possible, then we'd at least know and can appropriately respond.

Ultimately knowledge is power, I don't feel great about just laying waste to people if they can be saved.

Soldato
I don't think you can deradicalise a person. All you could end up doing is suppressing their feelings and they revert back once they are out of the system.

Caporegime
I don't think you can deradicalise a person. All you could end up doing is suppressing their feelings and they revert back once they are out of the system.

Which is obviously why you would keep an eye on them, though perhaps it really is too late for them if they've decided that suiciding themselves against civilians is a good idea in their mind. I just hark back to the waste of money that a society that cares about legitimate justice... would be expending on murdering them (USA being the prime example), just keep them in solitude.

Soldato
I just had a quick look at Maajid Nawaz. Interesting story there. How somebody's moral compass could spin around that far, I'll never understand.

I think we've proven that we don't have the resources to actively monitor people who wish harm towards the public. We're in a modern quandary where historically we would have either expelled them, executed them or locked them away indefinitely.

Soldato
Who the **** is saying they shouldn't be sent to prison? It's not that the system is lax, it's that it's not even being allowed to work in the first place and there was no rehabilitation at all for this guy (at least in terms of his radicalisation), do you honestly believe that simply being in prison is the rehabilitation?

Again you have two options, you either commit genocide or find a tangible solution that doesn't mean we destroy our society in the process.

Corbyn is saying terrorists shouldn't be serving their full prison term.

There was rehabilitation, that was the class he was going to, along with other offenders called Living Together. Rehabilitation didn't work for this guy, which in my opinion was obvious.

I've not said prison is rehabilitation.

When a person steps across a certain line then that is final in my opinion. Life meaning life in prison (I'd prefer hanging them).

The point I was making is that when the subject of hanging gets debated people always suggest the alternative by suggesting life in prison. But the reality is a murderer, or terrorist never actually serves life in prison. So unless the Judge is making a particular example out of you, you could murder someone and be out in around 6 years.

There needs to be a whole re-think of the criminal justice system. Some crimes I would remove from having jail time, while others I would increase the sentencing.

Caporegime
Even so, knee jerk reactions leads to **** legislation... indeed this is exactly the reason the terrorist was out and about, we need to have a real solution, not a populist one.

Soldato
Set up an island with the basic needs and leave them there to fend for themselves. Occasionally send in hyenas and swarms of wasps for our entertainment. Show on prime time TV. Profit....?

Associate
It's not a knee jerk reaction to discuss ideas though as is being done here.

I don't mind rehabilitation as one means of justice but I think that incarceration sits alongside it.

I.e. if someone hasn't reformed through the course of their sentence and still presents a harmful risk to the public , they shouldn't be let out.

Caporegime
It's not a knee jerk reaction to discuss ideas though as is being done here.

I don't mind rehabilitation as one means of justice but I think that incarceration sits alongside it.

I.e. if someone hasn't reformed through the course of their sentence and still presents a harmful risk to the public , they shouldn't be let out.

IPP was a knee jerk reaction in the aftermath of 2001 and consequently was pretty **** as it didn't stand the test of time. Another knee jerk reaction that simply fails long term, is not a solution, especially if it's just to cynically win votes.

Back
Top Bottom