1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terley, 29 Nov 2019.

1. BowdonUK

Soldato

The evidence is there if you look. This took me a second to find.

Corbyn: Terrorists 'should not necessarily' serve full jail terms

2. stockhausen

Capodecina

No message.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2019
  3. Kenai

Capodecina

Did he not also further suggest a proper psychological assessment should be a prerequisite of any early release, rather than automatic as it seemingly is now, or even via parole board?

4. doodah

Capodecina

How about context to what he said rather than your blatant distorting?

5. FTM

Soldato

9 years they have had to change it..it wasnt even in their manifesto before friday

presumably with prison overcrowding its cheaper to let people out earlier than build new prisons and staff them correctly

6. Uther

Capodecina

Politicians offering their usual meaningless 'thoughts and prayers' today.
    I'll be going to the girls funeral. A completely pointless, avoidable death.

7. BowdonUK

Soldato

I'll keep your quote in, I'll assume its correct. So, read what you quoted. Doesn't that happen now? The guy was released and people thought he was rehabilitated... how did that turn out?

In the face of a breakdown in the system and Corbyn still thinks the system is working fine :rolleyes:

He's literally describing how the system is now. Hardly anyone completes a full sentence.

8. BowdonUK

Soldato

The officials thought this guy had been rehabilitated. He was attending a rehabilitation course called "Living Together".

This episode shows that some types of prisoners can't be rehabilitated. If you lived in a Nazi country and wanted to make trouble for them and they jailed you for 6 years, would you come out of the jail suddenly thinking nazism was ok?

9. inogen

Soldato

No. He was released on licence automatically without any assessment by the parole board.

10. Guru

Soldato

What did that dude who was walking off with the knife throw away? Looked like a massive bag of pills or something!

11. Minstadave

Caporegime

I saw that on the video and wondered what he was upto? Getting rid of his stash before being interviewed?

12. Guru

Soldato

Yeah it was weird, his other pockets looked full too!

13. Scania

Capodecina

I think anyone convicted of terrorism - the point of which is usually to take life - should simply serve life, had this been the case with mr nut job on Friday two people would still be alive for a start....

Corbyn just can’t help himself, you’d have thought someone like him who’s rightly criticised for at best being sympathetic towards such people would have had a bit more common sense than to say what he did after Friday, oh no, not that moron.

The prospect of him being PM in a few days time is truly scary.

14. TheVoice

Capodecina

Hankerchief apparently to wrap around the blade, he was an off-duty BTP officer.

15. StriderX

Caporegime

You realise owning the anarchists cookbook can get you on that list?

Should they be put away for life? This is where I wonder about people’s logic around justice and the lovely fallacy of slippery slope, perhaps whether they realise just what they are asking for.

He’s taken the position that makes sense when you take his statement as a whole, and still allows for your life sentence if it’s appropriate. If the tories wanted to put these people back into prison on life sentences, then they could have done so at any point from 2010 until this election was called.

I’ll remind you that the the knee jerk response after 9/11 for which this person was sentenced to term via IPP, was a disaster. So a real response needs actual thought put into it, before it’s used irresponsibly again.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  16. Scania

Capodecina

I should hope owning a copy of a book that’s legality has been questioned in numerous countries, contains details of amongst other things how to make explosives and who’s own author tried to get it withdrawn from circulation would drop you in a whole world of **** tbh, that it doesn’t is probably part of the problem we’ve created in society.

17. StriderX

Caporegime

You don’t see a civil liberty there being repressed? I don’t necessarily disagree with it’s inclusion as an offence to own, but still there’s some perspective we need to grasp as a society... what do we value out of freedoms?

I’m a realist ultimately, but I don’t enjoy losing liberties for a vainglorious failure to protect our society that was built on those liberties. I feel it starts making people complacent and psychologically neutered into accepting further losses.

Further more there is the fallacy of tolerance, terrorism is ultimately utterly intolerable and so it’s logical to expunge ourselves of it, but we should be wise about it.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/boris-johnson-election-issue-london-bridge-attack

19. inogen

Soldato

Meanwhile, back in the real world, people who commit crimes get released. And the stats show that countries with the best rehab programs and most progressive sentencing have lower crime rates.

I really don't get why (other than the obvious CORBYN IS A NUTTER brigade) people are finding a problem with what he's said. You keep anyone convicted of a violent crime incarcerated until the authorities are happy that they're no longer a threat to the public.

That position is one that would increase time behind bars for violent offenders and terrorists, not shorten it.

20. Greebo

Caporegime

Its not how the system is now,. He was released with no assessment,.