Polish town burns Judas effigy resembling Orthodox Jew

Caporegime
The Poles are getting feisty again. Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned anti-Semitism to spice up the festive season:

A town in southern Poland reenacted the custom of casting judgement on Judas Iscariot, the betrayer of Jesus, using a life-size effigy of a stereotypical Jew with a hooked nose and sidelocks.

The event in the town of Pruchnik, called “Judgment over Judas,” took place on Friday afternoon. On a pole on Pope John Paul II Street, the residents hung the large effigy of the Jew which bore the label “Judas 2019, traitor!”

The crowd cut the effigy down from the post, dragged it on a rope through the town, stopping at the square in front of the church and at the street crossing where the effigy was beaten 30 times. After reaching the local river, the head of the effigy was cut off and the effigy was burned.

The rite attracted a crowd of onlookers. Children were encouraged to beat the effigy. There were some antisemitic cries, such as “Five more hits for wanting compensation from Poland.”

The custom of the judgment over Judas has occurred at least since the eighteenth century and takes place in the days preceding Easter. In the past, it was accompanied by acts of direct violence against Jewish residents. In the years of the Polish People’s Republic, the tradition gradually disappeared.

(Source).

Gotta maintain those fine Polish traditions, right kids?

Soldato
Wasn't Judas a Jew? ;)

Mad stuff happening everywhere, I wonder did this always happen or just gets more widely reported now?

Northern Ireland has popes burning every 12th July.

Caporegime
It's not really a Polish tradition, it's an Orthodox Christian tradition. The 3 Abrahamic religions all hate each other. Religion is the problem here.

The biggest problem is increasing intolerance and need for safe spaces, in the US they've been pulling down historical statues for various reasons with no religion involved. If something offends you then as a mature adult you just don't look at it or think about it, you don't go around trying to destroy everything you don't like (including people with opposing views).

Associate
Wasn't Judas a Jew? ;)

Mad stuff happening everywhere, I wonder did this always happen or just gets more widely reported now?

Northern Ireland has popes burning every 12th July.

C'mon they are not that discriminatory, it's any old catholic will do. And I do mean effigies of course!

Should Judas look like the English Jesus with white skin and long hair?

Eh? Since when was this depiction of Jesus considered 'English'? Christianity existed for hundreds of years before it was ever adopted on these shores and the image we associate with Christ is in no way English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Eh? Since when was this depiction of Jesus considered 'English'? Christianity existed for hundreds of years before it was ever adopted on these shores and the image we associate with Christ is in no way English.

I didn't even have to type 'white Jesus' into Google, it already knows - https://www.google.de/search?hl=en&....5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0.DxB4wykS87E

Could be interesting - https://www.theroot.com/tis-the-season-heres-how-jesus-became-so-widely-accept-1831076285

Soldato
But we don't do it because he was Catholic, and unlike the situation in Poland (a country with a history of collaboration with the Nazis) his race is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure the Jews care, particularly considering their long history of persecution.

Eh? I'm sure there were poles who were nazi collaborators.. but if my history serves me correct Poland, as a country, was invaded and fought the Nazi regime (and was similarly invades and fought against the USSR)

Don't forget Jesus (if he existed) was a Jew to!

Back
Top Bottom