Polish town burns Judas effigy resembling Orthodox Jew

Associate
But we don't do it because he was Catholic, and unlike the situation in Poland (a country with a history of collaboration with the Nazis) his race is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure the Jews care, particularly considering their long history of persecution.
You should look into the history of Guy Fawkes night a little more. There was a lot of anti catholic sentiment around the celebration. Unsurprising given the plot to destroy the Protestant monarchy.
That anti Catholic message still exists today for those who choose to use it for either hate or outrage. People will be people after all.

The vast majority of those lighting fires just want to have fun, but the reason for the celibration is very much tied to anti-catholicism.

Caporegime
You should look into the history of Guy Fawkes night a little more. There was a lot of anti catholic sentiment around the celebration. Unsurprising given the plot to destroy the Protestant monarchy.
That anti Catholic message still exists today for those who choose to use it for either hate or outrage. People will be people after all.

The vast majority of those lighting fires just want to have fun, but the reason for the celibration is very much tied to anti-catholicism.

And a lot of people choose to recognise it as a message to parliament.

I mean come on, when you think of it, are you really rooting for Parliament? Most people don’t care mind you, but I’d hazard people would jump to the recognition of the common folk before jumping to sectarianism.

Soldato
Eh? I'm sure there were poles who were nazi collaborators.. but if my history serves me correct Poland, as a country, was invaded and fought the Nazi regime (and was similarly invades and fought against the USSR)

At least to begin with, Germany actually invaded Germany. 1939 Poland was a post WW1 made up country comprising large areas of former Germany. Prior to 1918 Poland, as a distinct nation, didn't really exist at all..

Britain (And Empire) should have kept out of it really. It is entirely conceivable that the world might have ended up a better place overall had we decided to sit this one out! :/

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Prior to 1918 Poland, as a distinct nation, didn't really exist at all./

What? The Kingdom of Poland (established around 1025) must have been a figment of my imagination during my history lessons then.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Britain (And Empire) should have kept out of it really. It is entirely conceivable that the world might have ended up a better place overall had we decided to sit this one out! :/

It's definitely not conceivable to think that the world would be a better place in that scenario. If you want to think of alternative outcomes, it would be interesting to imagine what Europe would look like if Chamberlain's Britain and France reacted to invasion of Poland according to treaties in place and attacked Germany in September '39...

Poland (a country with a history of collaboration with the Nazis)

You're thinking of Ukraine. Poland as a country has no history of collaboration with anything Nazi, widely known to be fighters of anything German or Germanic throughout history.

Soldato
It's definitely not conceivable to think that the world would be a better place in that scenario. If you want to think of alternative outcomes, it would be interesting to imagine what Europe would look like if Chamberlain's Britain and France reacted to invasion of Poland according to treaties in place and attacked Germany in September '39...

Would you have advocated declaring War on the Soviet Union as well?

Caporegime
Poland is one of the least offensive countries on the planet, I see no reason to make a fuss about their traditions.

Like that time when their Government attempted to whitewash collaboration of polish citizens?

I mean apparently whenever Netanyahu screams antisemitism, it must be trusted right?

Soldato
That's true, but if he hadn't tried to blow up Parliament, he wouldn't have been executed. So it was about his crime, not the fact that he was Catholic.

They burn Catholic effigies on bonfires in the DUP heartlands every single year within the UK.
Nobody says anything. Popes, people, politicians (some of who should be burned)
The polish have nothing special in this.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
No, I'm thinking of Poland.

'Collaboration in German-occupied Poland.'

Resistance was greater than collaboration, but the latter certainly occurred.

Oh, I see - you mean the "The Polish policemen were to report for duty by 10 November 1939 or face death", "evasion from compulsory national service of Baudienst was punishable by death" or "citizens from across the Polish territories annexed by Nazi Germany were forcibly conscripted into the Wehrmacht, declared citizens of the Third Reich by law and subject to drumhead court-martial in case of draft evasion" kind of "collaboration"? :smiley_face_with_double-u-tee-ef-expression_squinted_eyes_and_palmsup:

Soldato
We burn a devout Catholic every 5th of November. Who cares?
Good point, well said.

But we don't do it because he was Catholic
Well technically speaking we do, because if he wasn't catholic he wouldn't have been trying to murder the protestant leader of the UK so that a catholic could assume power.

and unlike the situation in Poland (a country with a history of collaboration with the Nazis)
Every country the Nazi's conquored has a history of collaboration with the Nazis to some degree (hell if you wan't to grasp at straws so does Ireland). Trying to smear Poland (the main victim of the holocaust) with holocaust blame to further the anti-semitism angle is just silly, as is this whole story really, mountains out of molehills.

Back
Top Bottom