• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
BREAKING NEWS:

Prime Minister Theresa May is due to make a major announcement at Downing Street at 11.15am.

GENERAL ELECTION SET FOR 8TH JUNE 2017.

She wishes to strengthen her negotiating position by having less disruption at home, as she thinks she can strengthen her position in the country. Less SNP, less Labour, Lords told to STFU etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
An early GE will be very interesting, if it is that.

What if the Lib Dems stated that they would reverse Brexit and then everyone who voted to remain, all those who did not vote as they thought we would not leave and all the kids that wanted to remain but did not get up off their bottoms and now would do all voted for them in a protest vote?

Pretty crazy.

Soldato
I would be amazed if it were a general election announcement. Can we really waste 6 weeks of the Brexit negotiations on campaigning and however weeks afterward whilst the government settles? That would be huge unnecessary uncertainty, although I guess the upside is a genuine mandate for negotiations for whomever wins.

Associate
My thoughts too. But why?
Couple of reasons -- first, the political landscape has changed a lot since the last GE. We have a new PM, a mandate for Brexit and an increasingly unstable world political stage. A snap GE would give the parties chance to start fresh with their manifesto reflecting this new reality. Second (and more cynical), TM would prefer to have a more partisan commons to get the major issues of Brexit passed without serious opposition. Given the state of the opposition, it's likely that the Tories would win a snap election in a landslide, unless Corbyn steps down and someone credible takes his place.

Soldato
OP
It'll 'just' be about direct rule in Norn Iron.
Aye hopefully it starts with the stopping of pay and removal of resources from next week.
Then let the little brokenshire, break another shire, by installing all the laws rules regulations and tax changes that norn iron has mysteriously magically been refusing to incorporate, as we have magic money from the cloud fairies we all believe in.
So the parties get away with 'direct rule' brining in all the things they don't have the political balls to do, even if it is necessary.

Soldato
As I said in the other thread it's probably to get that election in quick now and secure her a term, before she completely ****s up the country with her Brexit negotiations.

Soldato
The vast majority of the people working on Brexit wouldn't be campaigning. And why would government need to settle afterwards? There won't be meaningful change in terms of who makes up government so what will need to settle?
Given the differences between the parties on what basis do you negotiate when the desired outcomes could be so different?

Soldato
Maybe she has just found out Trump is actually part of the Lizardmen elite and we are going to war with the US!

Though he does look more like a frog than a lizard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom