1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Did Northern Ireland and the hard border with Ireland enter your head when you voted leave?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by easyrider, Mar 23, 2019.

1. easyrider

Caporegime

Poll: Did Northern Ireland and the hard border with Ireland enter your head when you voted leave?

Yes
    No

Everyone who I have asked who voted leave has said no....They voted leave without any regard to the peace in Northern Ireland and the notion of a hard border disrupting the peace.

I'm genuinely curious.

2. robfosters

Caporegime

No. I don’t think it came up once in all the propaganda. It was almost an afterthought. Only once we voted leave did the subject rear its head.

3. thenewoc

Mobster

Actually I recall some interference from the RoI PM suggesting how people should vote but I don't recall him mentioning the border. I just thought it would need a border in the Irish sea.

4. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

No.... and if May hadn't called the 2017 election and then relied on the DUP the border would have been agreed as the Irish Sea long ago

5. robfosters

Caporegime

If the border had been the Irish sea, where would the customs checks have been done?

6. Evangelion

Capodecina

Yes. Because it was one of the more obvious problems.

LOL.

wut.

7. thenewoc

Mobster

Mainland sea and airports.

8. robfosters

Caporegime

So there would have been no control of goods into Northern Ireland from the republic?

9. thenewoc

Mobster

No as a hard border there would certainly been a backward step after what was achieved with the good Friday agreement.

10. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

No

But I voted remain...

11. Fiocca

Hitman

No

12. Vexr

Hitman

No, but it seems clear that there had been somewhat of a media blackout on the mainland regarding Northern Ireland from like 2001 to 2015. We literally never heard a thing about northern Ireland (or Ireland), unless the Pope was visiting that is, or like with recently now our leading party is in bed with the DUP and the NI border is now an issue.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  13. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I would have thought it’s obvious that leave = hard border, it goes hand in hand since Ireland is a separate country. Without a border it would mean any immigrant from the EU can fly to Dublin and then enter the UK unchecked by driving over into NI, making the whole leave and have control of our immigration thing pointless.

I’m not sure it needed pointing out so much that it is obvious, like as obvious as the ocean is wet and the desert is dry.

I really can’t see any other way round it, if they leave it as it is now, how are you going to stop “illegal” immigration? How will you control it?

14. karik666

Hitman

No

15. easyrider

Caporegime

Well yes, but did people think of the implications of it? Like I said in my OP...The people I have spoken with didn't give a second thought to the Ireland situation.

16. Vexr

Hitman

I suppose one assumption may be that heading overseas to Dublin, then to Northern Ireland, then over to the mainland UK, is all a 'bit of a PITA' so migrants won't bother - far more direct to hang around Calais and hop onboard a lorry, or march in a caravan across mainland Europe looking for another easy target.

I do not pretend to be an expert on this, as may be deduced :p Hard border (preferred), soft border, or whatever, just get the job done of leaving the EU and work from there.

17. easyrider

Caporegime

You do know this would increase violence and tensions right?:rolleyes:

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

It seems there are only 2 solutions.

1 - put up a hard border and live with its consequences.

2 - leave it open and essentially the Irish Sea becomes the border meaning Ireland is united again so essentially UK loses NI.

I guess there is a 3rd...invade Ireland and force it into the UK?!

19. easyrider

Caporegime

NI people see themselves as British...They are British.....The UK is not going to lose itself....

So I don't get you?

20. Vexr

Hitman

Not really, and I blame the media blackout for the best part of 20 years as the reason that I wouldn't know this. Having also been too young to appreciate 'the troubles' surrounding Northern Ireland, I'm also apparently missing a healthy fear of a recurrence of just that.

But then, as we're all so universally toothless now (no real strike action or radical + cohesive anti-establishment ideology in the English-speaking western population that anyone is willing to mobilize for) then perhaps the Northern Irish are just as disarmed as everyone else, and would rather play Xbox than take to the streets/pick up arms about something political.