1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Did Northern Ireland and the hard border with Ireland enter your head when you voted leave?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by easyrider, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Yes.

2. Vern1961

Mobster

No. To my eternal shame I was a borderline leave voter (now reformed to rampant remainer) swept along on the populist BS being spouted but can't say NI entered into my thought process at all, not even to briefly ponder that the politicians knew what they were doing. (Which it's patently obvious they didn't, as Cameron never expected to lose).

3. Destination

Capodecina

The common travel area, as you know applies to British and Irish citizens.
    How do you suggest controlling the influx of 'foreign' types without checks or a border system?

4. dowie

Caporegime

Why do I need to suggest anything there? My comment is in response to the other poster's post where he is seemingly confused re: the issue of a potential hard border - if you're going to pose that question then you might as well ask how do you suggest we deal with it now? (not all immigrants are from the EU, we have plenty of non-EU immigrants yet we have an open border with NI) Ditto to various Schengen countries with the same potential issue? Non EU migrants still need a visa in order to seek employment etc... people can overstay non-work visas already, not all EU migrants are supposed to stay here, some might not find work and resort to begging, criminal activities etc.. yet there is that open border still.

It is rather tangental to the point that people are confusing what this potential "hard border" is about, namely that it isn't about immigration but rather it relates to customs checks.

If you do think there is something relevant to the discussion re: immigration checks then it might be best to refer to actual proposals from either side relating to this (if at all) as I don't recall any anger over proposals for possible passport controls in the no deal planning etc... the issue that has been rather divisive os how to deal with customs checks.

5. Orionaut

Soldato

Brexit didn't create the border problem. It merely brought to the forefront something that has been grumbling on for nearly 100 years and that we had somehow fooled ourselves into believing had gone away somehow.

Regardless of the Brexit issue. What we need now is some sort of solution that will avoid these sorts of ambiguity in the future.

6. humbug

Caporegime

7. Double07

Wise Guy

Could stop invading countries. Would be a start.

8. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Polls show that Brexiteers believe the loss of Scotland and Northern Ireland (ie, Scottish Independence and Irish Reunification) would be a price worth paying in order to achieve Brexit.

9. pmc25

Wise Guy

Brexit, should it actually happen, will finally and fundamentally solve the border issue.

But not necessarily in the way that the vast majority of (clearly Unionist, Queen & Country, wannabe empire builder) Brexiteers would like.

There simply is no partition of the island of Ireland in even the medium term, let alone the long term, in the event of Brexit happening. What ever its form, it would impoverish and disadvantage N.I. to such an extent that a United Ireland could and would be the only logical conclusion.

10. pmc25

Wise Guy

Polls I've seen that asked further all also showed a massive majority indicated that they did not think it would happen under any circumstances, however, where they were asked. So they're saying something is a price worth paying, but never actually believing it will happen ... a bit like the car industry, associated automotive industry, aerospace, and virtually any manufacturing, where they claim they or the associated jobs (even if it's their jobs) are worth the chop.

11. Destination

Capodecina

Precisely this, Brexit would be done and gone, Norn iron would be a quaziwodnerland, with feet in both camps, able to import from Uk and from Europe without any issues, but passing anything along to the GB from Ni would have been though a port.
    The DUP would have ranted about it for a while, but below the surface would have seen the actual benefits available and everyone would have been secretly happy.