Poll: Do you blip your throttle when downshifting?

Associate
Rev matching will mean it's more sympathetic to the gearbox.

If you are shutting the throttle after the gear is engaged (As most do when braking) then the large capacity twins have a massive engine braking effect.

I tend to blip the throttle on downshifts unless slowly coming to a set of lights, I'll then just pull the clutch in and bang it down to 1st.

Soldato
I may be being stupid here.. but if you're rev matching that eliminates most engine braking so that doesn't make sense (to me)?

How does rev matching eliminate engine braking? Clutch in, change down, revs up, stay off the gas, slow down. If anything, I get more engine braking force at higher revs off the throttle than lower down.

No?

Soldato
slipper clutch for the win, I try to blip when braking hard before a corner, normal riding... no.

Pretty much sums up what I do.

I still don't see any actual need to blip whilst on the road.

I can understand those of you who got into the habit due to riding on the track but modern brakes almost eliminate the need for excessive engine braking on the road. I usually brake to the right speed and then change down. I don't snap the cluth out, I let it out slowly so there's no sudden load to the engine which eliminates any jerks.

Associate
How does rev matching eliminate engine braking? Clutch in, change down, revs up, stay off the gas, slow down. If anything, I get more engine braking force at higher revs off the throttle than lower down.

No?

maybe I mean't you get 'reduced' engine braking from rev matching

In my head the theory works like this (approaching a slow corner from high speed):

brake like mad --> clutch in -> change down a gear / blip (rise revs) -> release clutch.. then repeat until you get to the correct gear for the corner.

Therefore you're rising the revs using the throttle to match road speed before you release the clutch and not causing wear on the drive train or locking things up (engine/clutch breaking)

Maybe i'm wrong but that's how I have always understood it. I'm happy to be educated if that is indeed wrong :D

Slipper clutch helps a hell of a lot though imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe I mean't you get 'reduced' engine braking from rev matching

In my head the theory works like this (approaching a slow corner from high speed):

brake like mad --> clutch in -> change down a gear / blip (rise revs) -> release clutch.. then repeat until you get to the correct gear for the corner.

Therefore you're rising the revs using the throttle to match road speed before you release the clutch and not causing wear on the drive train or locking things up (engine/clutch breaking)

Maybe i'm wrong but that's how I have always understood it. I'm happy to be educated if that is indeed wrong :D

Slipper clutch helps a hell of a lot though imo.

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'reduced' engine braking through rev matching. As opposed to what?

There's a fairly obvious difference between pootling around on the road, using as much anticipation and speed control as you like to sensibly manage your speed, vs tearing it round a track using your brakes to the max.

Put it this way. Coming off a motorway onto an empty sliproad with traffic lights at the end. I'll come off at 70 (ish :)) in 6th and drop down through all the gears until I've got the revs falling in first and then brakes on / clutch in right at the end to bring it up at the stop line. I could tear it down the slip road and haul anchors right at the end, but what's the point?

Admittedly, this works a lot better on a twin than an IL4. I tried the same trick on a loaner K1300S once and it really didn't work as well...

Back
Top Bottom