Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;16948033 said:
Thankfully, GD is not a fair representation of the UK. This poll does nothing other than conform that GD houses more than its fair share of racists, bigots, and the uneducated.

Really?

Can you prove that.

You will find more educated people on here that many other forums.
Why are racist? Is it because you dont like what we say.
We are not the bigots, more so the people of the peaceful religion are.

If Yougov did the same poll, you would probably find it the same as on here.

Soldato
Really?

Can you prove that.

Why are racist? Is it because you dont like what we say.

Trust me, this poll isn't representative of the views in the UK. This forum might be full of many intelligent people but it also has a lot of hate towards islam for some reason.

What some poor woman in a Burkah has ever done to some people on here to make them want to stop her from wearing her clothing of choice I will never know.

It isn't for security or protection, it is fascism plain and simple. My Grandad didn't fight a war for this ****.

Shame on France and sham on UK.

uv

uv

Soldato
I applied for a job in a school which im goin for an interview for..

Whilst I'm on "your side" of the discussion, resorting to such infantile statements is just poor. How do you intend to promote tolerance with intolerance?

I hope you don't get the job.. You shouldn't work with people with learning difficulties if you think it's a comedic insult.

Permabanned
Trust me, this poll isn't representative of the views in the UK. This forum might be full of many intelligent people but it also has a lot of hate towards islam for some reason.

What some poor woman in a Burkah has ever done to some people on here to make them want to stop her from wearing her clothing of choice I will never know.

It isn't for security or protection, it is fascism plain and simple. My Grandad didn't fight a war for this ****.

Shame on France and sham on UK.

Well said. There does seem to be an abundance of Islamophobia, within this thread at least.

There does seem to be a rise across the Western world in Anti-Islamic rhetoric however, so there may be some justification in the claim that OCuk is representative of the UK as a whole in this regard.

Doesn't make it right though.

Soldato
It's non of my business exactly, but it's a pretty big security risk for people who might work in a bank.

My local building society doesn't allow full face bike helmets in so it's pretty contradictory that they allow veils inside of the building. also various shops don't allow you in if you're wearing a veil/helmet.

seems pretty reasonable if you want to cover your face you shouldn't be allowed in.

Its also important to look at the evidence. How many banks have been robbed my veiled people? Banks may feel they will lose no custom by asking helmets to be removed. Also the veil ban extends to the streets.

This is a country who in its determination to remove headscarves from the classroom, banned all religious symbols.

As people have said, you cant end patriachal control by banning the veil. In the cases where it is pressure from husbands rather than the woman wearing it of her own volition, you simply ensure she gets trapped in the house. And at the same time by attacking a symptom in this way you restrict the personal freedoms of everyone else.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder why there is Islamophobia, on this thread and world wide?

you dont get Christianphobia or Buddhistphobia do we.

So there must be a problem somewhere to cause it.

I think history has shown it doesn't take much negative publicity, true or false, for opinion to go against a group of people. Very few countries are free from this.

Associate
I tend to lean towards being able to do whatever the hell you want so I don't agree with a ban.

But at the same time I also think people should be able to stop them coming into their premises/work and be able to ridicule (all) stupid religions.

Soldato
I tend to lean towards being able to do whatever the hell you want so I don't agree with a ban.

But at the same time I also think people should be able to stop them coming into their premises/work and be able to ridicule (all) stupid religions.

The real problem with letting businesses decide on who they serve is that it is open to abuse. How much of problem are veils in reality? Any evidence it is used by criminals? How can a shop argue that it has the right to see the face of who they are selling their goods to? It is an arbitrary line. Where else might people draw that line?

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont but this guy and a few others have demonstrated a complete lack of inteligence along this entire thread.

Do not judge me on a single post and wish me bad luck for a job just because i said one thing?

Having a bad day? pick on my post?

There are many other stupid posts in this thread that need to be hounded on.

Caporegime

Yes, really, in my opinion.

Can you prove that.

No, I can't prove this. Can you prove otherwise?

Indeed. Few of them post in the GD forum though.

Why are racist?

HOW IS BABBY FORMED?? I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean.

Is it because you dont like what we say.

I don't mind what you say, you can express your opinion as you see fit. Who is "we" out of interest?

Again, "we"? The members of the peaceful religion are the bigots here? Ok there, champ.

In your opinion. In my opinion, not so much.

Caporegime
Originally Posted by ghost101
If banks are willing to have them, which they are by the way, then it's not your business. I've seen people walk in and out wearing bicycle helmets and banks don't care.

i think my point is i wouldnt want to see their right to wear it being protected in cases where say a bank did NOT think it suitable attire.

same on a bus, driving test, anywhere where ID is used, in schools etc.

so im not for banning it, but for giving the right to institutions to ban it within a reasonable confine.

but if you go the other way and protect the wearers right to wear it no matter what, then you are infringing on the rights of those who would be protected by banning it in these situations. i hope that makes sense to someone at 9am in the morning.

Soldato
This country has always prided itself on tolerating people of all cultures and communities,

who are these people? I dont know any.

I think you are refering to the ruling classes, the moral elite the people in power who decide whats good and whats bad for the polulation, not the majority of the population.

Man of Honour
The real problem with letting businesses decide on who they serve is that it is open to abuse. How much of problem are veils in reality? Any evidence it is used by criminals? How can a shop argue that it has the right to see the face of who they are selling their goods to? It is an arbitrary line. Where else might people draw that line?

Businesses already have extensive rights to serve or deny service as they choose, hell if they don't like your aftershave they can choose not to serve you. It may be open to a certain amount of abuse but that is the current situation and it should not change - at the risk of sounding like a free marketeer the market should be able to find its own level here. A shopkeeper has the right to refuse service based on almost any reason (there are certain limitations regarding refusal based on colour of skin and gender) as everyone else has the right not to patronise their shop.

In answer to your questions - probably not much of a problem. A few cases that have made it to widespread media attention (most famously the gentleman who allegedly fled Britain wearing one in 2006) but it seems unlikely to be a common use. Shopkeepers may on occasion need to verify identify for age restricted products but as mentioned they've got a large right of refusal anyway. Drawing the line is a difficult question but it's not always an all or nothing approach - certain circumstances mitigate towards needing to be able to identify people more clearly than may be possible with only an identity document of some description and no other corroboration such as facial recognition.

Soldato
This is the difference in attitude that I like about the USA. Personal freedoms are guaranteed by the constitution and people actually believe in its ability to prevent majority tyranny.

ironic it is then that the americans decided to invade an islamic country and kill 1000's of muslims and make them hate use even more they they already did...

Back
Top Bottom