1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lunarwolf, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

1. Yes, ban the veil in the UK

688 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

255 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. No

117 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. Dolph

Man of Honour

Why are so many people so convinced that joining Iran in dictating women's dress is a good thing?

2. The Running Man

Caporegime

why is protecting someones cultural right higher up in some peoples priority than protecting everyone else's safety?

3. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Whose safety is at risk?

e : you didn't even read the OP or the rest of the thread, did you?

Should be a suspendable offence.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. AGD

Soldato

I disagree with the veils as it seems to me that people who wear them are either are forced to (directly or by social pressures from their community) or are sexist. Surely if woman should wear veils to protect their modesty, men should too? Or are men so full of lust compared to women that we should be specially protected from ourselves?

Having said that I don't believe banning in banning items of clothing in public. I do think schools should stay secular though and some jobs obviously require you to bare your face so in some situations it would be ok to ban their use. But in public people should be allowed to wear what they want.

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

Why do some people insist on making up justifications that don't actually exist? Banning the veil would make approximately bugger all difference to everyone's safety. We got rid of Labour, don't keep pushing pointless authoritarian policies and pretending they are for our benefit, we've had 13 years of a government doing that, and what benefits has it actually provided?

6. The Running Man

Caporegime

in a school environment, the children?

on a bus, the driver if he becomes threatened by those with the veil wearer for asking them to reveal their face to match a bus pass, for instance.

7. uv

Sgarrista

My apologies.

My better half is an Assistant Pshychologist working with people with LD, the subject hit home :)

8. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

See my edit and read the thread next time.

9. lazer46

Hitman

Definitely ban the veil. Main reason i see for a ban is one of terrorism. For all we know, there could be a guy hidden under the garments with a shotgun etc!

10. Dolph

Man of Honour

It's already been confirmed by the courts that if this impacts a child's education, they can be dismissed. No need for a total ban.

How often does this happen compared to general aggression towards bus drivers? Why does this require a total ban to solve?

What's next, banning cars completely because they get used in crime occasionally?

11. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

So yeah, you didn't read the thread or even the OP either, did you? Brilliant.

Also - and I almost hate myself for getting into this - but it'd be far easier to hide a shotgun in a big, bulky jacket than under a ... veil.

12. lazer46

Hitman

Did read it. I still think the main reason for a ban should be security issues.

13. Dolph

Man of Honour

There is no meaningful security reason for a blanket ban on the veil. It is already perfectly possible for both private and public bodies to request removal for identification purposes, or where there is a general ban on full face coverings.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve (and frequently end up with) neither.

14. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Fantastic.

15. lazer46

Hitman

I know that is what was posted! Just saying it should be banned for security reasons! Could be any tom dick or harry under the veil, i.e a wanted criminal etc etc.

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

Because without the veil no criminal ever used a disguise?

Are we banning sunglasses, hats, hoodies, motorbike helmets, balaclavas and crossdressing while we are at it?

17. eatcustard

Mobster

why should it be?

Is it because you dont like it?

18. lazer46

Hitman

Well, i am all for banning the veil. Lets follow France and do the right thing.

What if i make up a new religion which states i have to wear a balaclava as part of that religion? How would people react to that!

19. Dolph

Man of Honour

Why is dictating what women can wear the 'right thing' to do? Do you wish to make us more like some of the muslim countries?

I doubt anyone would care...

20. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Well yes, there is that. More to the point, it shows utter disregard for what the OP wanted to discuss. You saw a headline and came in punching with no understanding whatsoever of what was being discussed.

Do you have anything else to add other than empty, asinine questions?