Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
My apologies.

My better half is an Assistant Pshychologist working with people with LD, the subject hit home :)

Lmao no problem bro :) I know I might of come across as a bit of a nob.

Other then that seriously the Ignorance and disregard for peoples rights is insane in this thread the last 10 or so pages.

WE HAVE HAD VEILS IN THIS COUNTRY FOR SUCH A LONGGGG TIMEE YOU LOT are only jumping on the band wagon against them because of RECENT media hype which is unnecesary.

Sure if someone does use a veil to bomb someone in this country then it will be discussed but as of yet nothing of the sort has happend here so open your god damn eyes and stop genralising a whole populace of people based on a few extremeists.

a lot of muslim girls wear a veil or head scalf by choice the few that wear a FULL face body veil are a small minority of muslims in this country as a whole. The rest wear a headscalf on its own or nothing at all.

Also someone said earlier why dont the men wear them..

THEY DO... its called a shirvani muslim men do wear this.

Last edited:
Soldato
ghost101;16948279 My point is said:
I disagree completely with this. For me, and only my personal view, when talking to someone, you get a lot of information from the face, the eyes, the lips. To have them covered up is, in my mind, to hide some of what you are saying, for what ever reason.

It is for me, as bad as talking to me in a language you know i do not understand, for i can not comunicate back and have no idea of your intentions.

Should it be a constitutional right, no, but should someone ask you to remove it when talking to them, or for photo ID, then i would hope they would.

Maybe its the simple fact as a kid, all the baddies wore masks? Gives the same feeling when all you can see are a pair of eyes.

Again, all my personal view point and subject to change.

Colin

Soldato
OP
Trust me, this poll isn't representative of the views in the UK. This forum might be full of many intelligent people but it also has a lot of hate towards islam for some reason.

actually you may be surprised that this unofficial poll seems to be in line with what the british public thinks. I will quote from Ghost101 post #847

"A survey by the Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project, conducted April 7 to May 8, finds that the French public overwhelmingly endorses this measure; 82% approve of a ban on Muslim women wearing full veils in public, including schools, hospitals and government offices, while just 17% disapprove.

Majorities in Germany (71%), Britain (62%) and Spain (59%) would also support a similar ban in their own countries."

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1658/wi...ot-in-america?src=prc-latest&proj=peoplepress

Man of Honour
actually you may be surprised that this unofficial poll seems to be in line with what the british public thinks. I will quote from Ghost101 post #847

"A survey by the Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project, conducted April 7 to May 8, finds that the French public overwhelmingly endorses this measure; 82% approve of a ban on Muslim women wearing full veils in public, including schools, hospitals and government offices, while just 17% disapprove.

Majorities in Germany (71%), Britain (62%) and Spain (59%) would also support a similar ban in their own countries."

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1658/wi...ot-in-america?src=prc-latest&proj=peoplepress

Can I raise the fallacy of argmentum ad populum again now?

RDM

RDM

Soldato

It doesn't really apply here as all lunarwolf was doing in this case was pointing out that the poll here is actually in line with similar polls done to the wider public. An assertion refuted by starfighter. It is not ascribing a value judgement to the figure just reporting it.

Soldato
OP

Pew Research is a well respected poll, much like Gallup or Rasmussen etc... so you can mock what the majority thinks, that is your right, but it doesn't change the fact that this poll seems to be a correct representation of what the British public thinks.

Can I raise the fact we live in a democracy?

Soldato
Pew Research is a well respected poll, much like Gallup or Rasmussen etc... so you can mock what the majority thinks, that is your right, but it doesn't change the fact that this poll seems to be a correct representation of what the British public thinks.

Can I raise the fact we live in a democracy?

No we don't, we live in a republic. Any reasonable person realises that having the majority vote on liberties that primarily affect minorities is an insane thing to do.

Why do most people want more government meddling in what they can and can't do? It's madness :(

Soldato
OP
No we don't, we live in a republic. Any reasonable person realises that having the majority vote on liberties that primarily affect minorities is an insane thing to do.

Why do most people want more government meddling in what they can and can't do? It's madness :(

women are not a minority, and this burkha stands against equality for women. ;)

Associate
Just saying...

Capture.jpg

Soldato
You edited the titel to say its about womens place in society but.

The reason for them banning it would be due to security...

so in esscence you just flawed your own poll/question.

As banning it due to it being somewhat oppressive to women is not necesarily something the goverment would due as there are MANY things that do the same.

Also as many have said along this thread countless times but get ignored is that for the majority it is a choice and a way of life.

We have the freedom to wear what we want if.

Now if you had kept to your previous question regarding it being a security risk it would make sense to ask this.

That would be the only real reason the government would step in imo.

Permabanned
I know what the word means.

You are trying to slur and infer those who dissagree with you as 'weak apologists'.

It is posturing.

What, you want war and peace on world affairs do you? I say one simple thing like "do you not think they see state terrorism", and its straight to HAHAHA YOUR A MUSLIM.

You are a moron. :rolleyes: Like all racists.

Why don't you provide evidence for your own devoid conclusions first?

Why is it everyone who doesnt agree with you is a racist ? Maybe you are racist and thats why we dont agree with you.

At the end of the day we decided to let other people into our country, give them free healthcare, etc, what good have they given back to the community ? none. instead they honor kill us, they bomb us, they slaughter us, (and then when the police come knocking they get out of their crimes by pulling the racism or faith card) because we dont agree that God is Allah.

Soldato
At the end of the day we decided to let other people into our country, give them free healthcare, etc, what good have they given back to the community ? none. instead they honor kill us, they bomb us, they slaughter us, (and then when the police come knocking they get out of their crimes by pulling the racism or faith card) because we dont agree that God is Allah.

:( so much irrational fear in this thread. It really is sad.

Soldato
i think my point is i wouldnt want to see their right to wear it being protected in cases where say a bank did NOT think it suitable attire.

same on a bus, driving test, anywhere where ID is used, in schools etc.

so im not for banning it, but for giving the right to institutions to ban it within a reasonable confine.

but if you go the other way and protect the wearers right to wear it no matter what, then you are infringing on the rights of those who would be protected by banning it in these situations. i hope that makes sense to someone at 9am in the morning.

I'd certainly agree there are situations where it is important for faces to be seen. That is simply how that service works or in the case of things like teaching, crucial to the service the person provides. Pandering to these requests shouldn't exist unless the solution is very simple. Women driving testers would be simple, for buses (kids I presume, since adults in London don't need photo ID) its harder and so upto the person exercising the right to wear a veil to solve.

But this is far from banning veils in public space, which I'm sure you understand.

I would much rather see firms being able to exhibit freedom of service where it can be sensibly be shown it is valid rather than the government dictating what you can and cannot wear. The former will be hard to implement as it is open to prejudice (the case where a b&b which refused a gay couple springs to mind). In the case of shops I think profit motive would drive shops not to implement polices which discriminate for the sake of discrimination.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom